News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What language(s) do you speak.

Started by Stegotyranno420, March 01, 2022, 05:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What langauges do you speak(also which dialect and as your 1st, 2nd, or so kn)

English
39 (92.9%)
German
7 (16.7%)
Spanish
17 (40.5%)
Portuguese
5 (11.9%)
Mandarin
5 (11.9%)
Japanese
5 (11.9%)
Hindustani(Hindi and Urdu)
1 (2.4%)
Bengali
0 (0%)
Punjabi
1 (2.4%)
Thai
0 (0%)
Cantonese
1 (2.4%)
Arabic
1 (2.4%)
Russian
2 (4.8%)
French
6 (14.3%)
Italian
1 (2.4%)
Persian
1 (2.4%)
Pashto
0 (0%)
Tamil
0 (0%)
Telugu
0 (0%)
Korean
2 (4.8%)
Polish
1 (2.4%)
Czech
0 (0%)
Dutch
3 (7.1%)
Mongolian
0 (0%)
Turkish
0 (0%)
Greek
0 (0%)
Other(spoken)
5 (11.9%)
Swedish
1 (2.4%)
Norwegian(both forms)
0 (0%)
Danish
0 (0%)
Icelandic
0 (0%)
Irish
0 (0%)
Welsh
0 (0%)
Scottish Gaelic
0 (0%)
Kurdish (all forms)
0 (0%)
Albanian
0 (0%)
Armenian
0 (0%)
Catalan
0 (0%)
Malay
0 (0%)
Cornish
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Stegotyranno420

I am one of those people who are curious about langauges, from minor sound changes, to reconstructed languages that go back in prehistoric ages. So naturally I would had asked this question at some point. Think of this a servey+discussion. As for the poll, I will include some major languages that occur on the top of my head at the moment and will revise.

Libraraptor

I am missing sign language, which is a serious language deaf people speak. I speak German and English fluently plus French and Sign Language basics.

Duna

I speak Spanish (native language), English and Basque (euskera batua).
I supose avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 you know about Basque language, the only surviving language isolate in Europe. In school our children learn 95% in that language, too. By the way, it's much more difficult to learn that Spanish, mostly because of the verbs and phrase construction, but not because of the pronunciation, so you read as you write, like in Spanish.

For all that don't know about Basque Language, here is a very short video about it, with very accurate information, including how it nearly disappeared:

https://youtu.be/S1l9oDiSiEQ

Stegotyranno420

Ah yes, Euskara! I have been interested in the language for a long time. It is a relic of a different time in Europe, before Indo-European peoples.  Whenever I think of Basque I think of all the other languages that it was once related to, now lost to time. I also love LangFocus aswell.

ceratopsian

Thanks for this avatar_Duna @Duna.  I had no idea that Basque had different dialects.

Quote from: Duna on March 01, 2022, 04:11:15 PM
I speak Spanish (native language), English and Basque (euskera batua).
I supose avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 you know about Basque language, the only surviving language isolate in Europe. In school our children learn 95% in that language, too. By the way, it's much more difficult to learn that Spanish, mostly because of the verbs and phrase construction, but not because of the pronunciation, so you read as you write, like in Spanish.

For all that don't know about Basque Language, here is a very short video about it, with very accurate information, including how it nearly disappeared:

https://youtu.be/S1l9oDiSiEQ

Lanthanotus

tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhHa'laH  >:D

Nah, not really.... German and English that is. I have a Latinum, but am not one of the few who can speak Latin.

Duna

Quote from: ceratopsian on March 01, 2022, 07:50:48 PM
Thanks for this avatar_Duna @Duna.  I had no idea that Basque had different dialects.
Oh, you are welcome. For a Euskera batua speaker as me, dialects are quite difficult, specially those from remote villages and so. My husband speaks and understands Euskera vizcaino, too, from the region were we live. For me it could be sometimes as listening to German.  ;D

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 01, 2022, 06:36:10 PM
Ah yes, Euskara! I have been interested in the language for a long time. It is a relic of a different time in Europe, before Indo-European peoples.  Whenever I think of Basque I think of all the other languages that it was once related to, now lost to time. I also love LangFocus aswell.
He explains it very well. Love that he used those beautiful pictures of Basque landscape, as the language is so related to it, probably thanks to no one being interested in living in such a humid and montainous region but incredibly beautiful at the same time ...

Crackington

Very interesting thread avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 - I find linguistics fascinating too, though alas my language skills are limited to English (+ the North East dialect)! I can understand some limited Bosanski too through Mrs Crackington who is from Sarajevo.

Thanks for posting that video avatar_Duna @Duna - I've always liked the Basque people and my favourite football club in Spain is Athletic Bilbao due to their links with my club Sunderland (though there's different stories about that)!

It's also brought back a memory of one of the best gigs I ever saw,even though I couldn't understand a word! This was in London and paired the Welsh punk band Ahnrefn, who were like a Welsh speaking Clash with Negu Gorriak* a Basque hip hop guitar band, like an Euskadi Beastie Boys!

*Hope I spelt that right!

This was in a packed out pub with the audience evenly divided between London punks, Welsh and Basque folk. There was a great atmosphere there and as we say in North East England, "nee bother!"

Happy memories...

stoneage

Halichoeres

I spoke English and Spanish when I was very young, but when I started school (in Arizona in the late 80s) I found that I could make my life a lot easier if nobody knew I spoke Spanish. I lost the language almost completely through disuse and had to relearn it as an adult. I speak it reasonably well but not as well as if it hadn't been discouraged.

I've had one semester of Latin and two of French, so I don't speak them at all.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stegotyranno420

What langauges would you like to have added to the main options. Any major languages you think should be there that I'm forgetting.
Also, I want to keep this as verbal languages that evolved over time,  because if I start including everything that people use for communication it will be far to vast to manage.
So far I am going to add the North Germanic/Scandinavian  and some Celtic langauges to the main list.

Nimravus

English, Spanish, Portuguese  and German

Concavenator

English and Spanish. I studied French for about 3 years, don't remember much now.

Stegotyranno420

It's pretty cool to see so many multilingual people here. :)

Or maybe it's just a normal thing internationally except in the U.S. :P

Newt

My native language is Hillbilly, but I'm nearly fluent in American English.

I studied Latin and Greek in school, first to help with my scientific aspirations and then just because it was interesting to me, but I have unfortunately let my classical knowledge become as dull and rusty as the old mower blades granddad used as trotline sinkers.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Newt on March 14, 2022, 01:44:01 PM
My native language is Hillbilly, but I'm nearly fluent in American English.

I studied Latin and Greek in school, first to help with my scientific aspirations and then just because it was interesting to me, but I have unfortunately let my classical knowledge become as dull and rusty as the old mower blades granddad used as trotline sinkers.
Hillbilly is the best dialect of English. Period

Stegotyranno420

Added Kurdish, Cornish, Malay, Catalan, and others to the list

EmperorDinobot

I speak Spanish, English, and I understand, read and speak more French and Italian than I care for. I took two years of French in high school, but when it came time to conjugate verbs I could not figure it out if my life depended on it!

I work as a Spanish language interpreter now.

Samrukia

Jose S.M.

Spanish is my first language and I'm pretty fluent in English. I never actually studied it, just learned through life somehow and I'm good enough to have worked with people who are English only speakers about bank stuff and not having problems with communication.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: