You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

Rebor's kiss maybe good but I'm still standing my ground to not get any of their figures due to their attitude so I'm getting the botm 1/35 as my definitive rex

suspsy

Quote from: JimoAi on September 01, 2022, 04:17:38 PMRebor's kiss maybe good but I'm still standing my ground to not get any of their figures due to their attitude so I'm getting the botm 1/35 as my definitive rex

This is a sentiment shared by many collectors, myself included.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

Quote from: suspsy on September 01, 2022, 04:18:23 PM
Quote from: JimoAi on September 01, 2022, 04:17:38 PMRebor's kiss maybe good but I'm still standing my ground to not get any of their figures due to their attitude so I'm getting the botm 1/35 as my definitive rex

This is a sentiment shared by many collectors, myself included.

Same here. Though I also personally prefer the sculpt work and anatomy of the BotM version as well.

Gwangi

The BotM T. rex is the superior figure. Rebor's reign will be short lived. But they do fill different niches (static and articulated). I'm personally waiting to see what the EoFauna T. rex will look like. It's sure to be excellent and likely more affordable than Rebor or BotM.

Faelrin

I mean regardless of how one feels this is still a great time to be a fan of Tyrannosaurus. I mean like as far as how many up to date figures are being made, since Tyrannosaurus gets figures all the time.

But we've had:
-2020 PNSO Wilson
-2021 PNSO Andrea and "Nanotyrannus"
-2022 BotM 1/35 and 1/18 scale adult figures, and 1/18 scale juvenile
-2022 Rebor Kiss/lipped and Tusk/lipless
-2022 Safari Ltd "Nanotyrannus"
-2022? Ancestors Prehistoric Planet swimming Tyrannosaurus (limited stock/availability)
-2022 Marco Makes Prehistoric Planet styled Tyrannosaurus (limited stock/availability)
-2022/2023 Eofauna's upcoming figure

And while JP styled figures are the norm, I do want to shout out the 2022 Mattel Hammond Collection Tyrannosaurus. Might be the definitive articulated JP one. And for anyone not a fan of the huge feet, check out the custom feet Rod's Random work did, complete with articulated toes (something I now wish the BotM T. rex optionally had tbh). Jurassic Compound did a video on them.

Personally I've pre-ordered:
-2022 BotM WWD 1/35 T. rex (and eventually plan to get the 1/18 someday)
-2022 Rebor Kiss/lipped
-2022 Mattel HC

And when Eofauna's releases I plan to get that as well. I also still have the older Safari Ltd feathered Tyrannosaurus, which aside from the heavy coat of feathers and maybe lack of lips still holds up pretty well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

Eofauna's paint jobs can be hit and miss. I don't doubt they'll outdo the likes of REBOR or PNSO in terms of accuracy but they'll have to be firing on all cylinders for a sure win at this point, at least in my book.

Pliosaurking

Don't forget that sanctum is making a Rex later this year as well

Bread

I am all for static models over fully articulated, for prehistoric models.
BOTM is superior no doubt and I'll for sure have it in my collection, but I'll always choose Rebor's due to a static pose.

In my opinion, controversial for sure, I am not looking forward to Eofauna's. Their Giga is their only therapod at the moment, and it's probably their worst figure.

I've always seen Eofauna as best with herbivores and prehistoric mammals. Same with PNSO, their herbivores are their best products.

Of course my opinion could change, and Eofauna's could be the best yet, but I am not in a rush.

Bread

Quote from: Pliosaurking on September 01, 2022, 07:44:23 PMDon't forget that sanctum is making a Rex later this year as well
Plus Ancestor's is both imperator and rex.

Lynx

Quote from: Gwangi on September 01, 2022, 06:35:39 PMThe BotM T. rex is the superior figure. Rebor's reign will be short lived. But they do fill different niches (static and articulated). I'm personally waiting to see what the EoFauna T. rex will look like. It's sure to be excellent and likely more affordable than Rebor or BotM.

I feel like REBORS grip is nowhere near over, it is the only good affordable option for rex, as the BOTM one costs 70+ buckaroos. I like to place them on the same throne, both are equally good and even if Eofauna releases something, I don't think it will top Kiss and the BOTM rex color scheme and detail wise.

That's just my take on it though! Eofauna will indeed top REBOR on price, but quality? I dunno. Hope to hear what others have to say regarding it  ;D
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

I am also 100% ordering Eofaunas rex regardless, I already have BOTM, Wilson, and am going to be getting Kiss, so I want to top it off with one final rex.
An oversized house cat.

Flaffy

Quote from: Bread on September 01, 2022, 09:24:02 PMIn my opinion, controversial for sure, I am not looking forward to Eofauna's. Their Giga is their only therapod at the moment, and it's probably their worst figure.

I'm of a similar opinion. Eofauna's proboscideans are second to none, easily tops anything on the market no doubt about that.
Their dinosaurs on the other hand... you've got homeruns like the Diplodocus and Atlasaurus; then there's the wonkier Triceratops sp.; and finally the Giganotosaurus, their weakest figure by far imo.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Eofauna handles their version of Tyrannosaurus, but I really do hope they've improved their theropod sculpting (and painting) techniques since the Giganotosaurus.

Pliosaurking

Quote from: Lynx on September 01, 2022, 09:37:14 PMI am also 100% ordering Eofaunas rex regardless, I already have BOTM, Wilson, and am going to be getting Kiss, so I want to top it off with one final rex.

I got the wwd Botm Rex coming in and I'll probably get either the ancestors and/or the sanctum Rex, and I may get eofaunas but time shall tell

Gwangi

Wasn't the Giganotosaurus one of Eofauna's first figures? I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Bread

Quote from: Flaffy on September 01, 2022, 09:56:45 PM
Quote from: Bread on September 01, 2022, 09:24:02 PMIn my opinion, controversial for sure, I am not looking forward to Eofauna's. Their Giga is their only therapod at the moment, and it's probably their worst figure.

I'm of a similar opinion. Eofauna's proboscideans are second to none, easily tops anything on the market no doubt about that.
Their dinosaurs on the other hand... you've got homeruns like the Diplodocus and Atlasaurus; then there's the wonkier Triceratops sp.; and finally the Giganotosaurus, their weakest figure by far imo.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Eofauna handles their version of Tyrannosaurus, but I really do hope they've improved their theropod sculpting (and painting) techniques since the Giganotosaurus.
I 100% agree. I don't want to bash Eofauna, because they could for sure blow the competition out of the water, but at the end of the day, Rebor's Kiss will be fine for me. So I am really not too invensted in another Tyrannosaurus figure.

Quote from: Gwangi on September 02, 2022, 12:19:41 AMWasn't the Giganotosaurus one of Eofauna's first figures? I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Of course! Even with this in mind, their herbivores that were made the following year are some of the best figures around. Sometimes a company, for example PNSO, just create better herbivores than their other predecessors.

suspsy

I'm sure Eofauna has heeded the feedback on their Giganotosaurus. Time will tell.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

I still like the Eofauna Gigantosaurus though I never quite got around to it (or any of their other figures, sigh). I think the biggest issue is the head, perhaps more out of date now with Meraxes to draw from. I also liked the coloration it had, and prefer it to the Safari Ltd one. That said would be nice to see someone tackle this again as all are kind of behind the times now. Maybe PNSO will do a new one some day? Really the only one between Carcharodontosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus that they haven't touched in the Prehistoric Model range.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

I disagree that PNSO's best products are only herbivores.  Some of their carnivores are great too, e.g. Acrocanthosaurus, Allosaurus, Cretoxyrhina, Dunkleosteus, Himalayasaurus, Tarbosaurus, Tylosaurus, Yangchuanosaurus, Yutyrannus, Zhuchengtyrannus.

Regarding a new, up-to-date Giganotosaurus, David Silva has said he'll make Giganotosaurus and Therizinosaurus when the time is right.

SidB

avatar_Sim @Sim , looking over my shoulder at my PNSO theropods, I have to agree with you.

Halichoeres

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on September 01, 2022, 02:30:45 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on August 31, 2022, 09:50:12 PMThe Adventure Force dinosaurs are by Battat?
No. They are chinasaurs made by what I think is a company called Dragon I or something that sells Mighty Megasaurs and other toys to Walmart.

Oh got it, that makes more sense. I misconstrued whom "their" referred to. I should read more carefully.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: