You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric Planet dubbed in...Latin?

Started by Stegotyranno420, September 21, 2022, 07:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

This is on one of the other channels of Luke Ranieri, who is the founder of the Polymathy channel, which is dedicated to paleontology, linguistics, and occasionally mythology and astronomy(seems like my type of channel)
I though some of ye might enjoy this, or be fascinated by it.

Newt

That's actually the longest bit of Prehistoric Planet I've seen thus far, and I enjoyed the Latin translation. Thanks for posting!

My high school Latin textbook was entitled Ecce Romani (Behold! The Romans!), so the echo in this translation was appreciated. Also, they went all in on making the tarbosaurs into perenties, didn't they? I must admit to deeply ambivalent feelings regarding the practice of using modern animals' coloration on prehistoric animals. I mean, certainly it is better to acknowledge how real animals are colored than to design your prehistoric animal reconstruction on strictly aesthetic grounds. But seeing an otherwise well-thought-out reconstruction wearing some other animal's colors is a bit like seeing an exhaustively researched portrait of Cleopatra VII cosplaying as Billie Eilish. What's the point?

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Newt on September 23, 2022, 02:18:19 AMThat's actually the longest bit of Prehistoric Planet I've seen thus far, and I enjoyed the Latin translation. Thanks for posting!

My high school Latin textbook was entitled Ecce Romani (Behold! The Romans!), so the echo in this translation was appreciated. Also, they went all in on making the tarbosaurs into perenties, didn't they? I must admit to deeply ambivalent feelings regarding the practice of using modern animals' coloration on prehistoric animals. I mean, certainly it is better to acknowledge how real animals are colored than to design your prehistoric animal reconstruction on strictly aesthetic grounds. But seeing an otherwise well-thought-out reconstruction wearing some other animal's colors is a bit like seeing an exhaustively researched portrait of Cleopatra VII cosplaying as Billie Eilish. What's the point?
I share somewhat similar opinions on taking inspiration from animals. It seems uncreative when designing animals, tho in some circumstances it could be interesting(counter shading for example). It's better if they mixed various animal colors, or even more so, started out from scratch. Sometimes it is executed in a way for i cannot tell(like Botm figures, or here in PP), but sometimes I see a Zebra carnotaurus, giraffe diplodocus, or cow triceratops, which looks unrealistic, uncreative, and unappealing. Your example about Cleopatra and Billie Elisha seems a bit more fitting for the examples I listed. In this case, it's more like portraying Cleopatra as a Kemetic Egyptian Pharoah rather than a Ptomleic on
Glad you liked it though.
Regarding your latin book,
I also don't understand why high schools don't offer latin anymore. Would had taken latin over Spanish if given the options

Newt

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 23, 2022, 02:49:02 AM
Quote from: Newt on September 23, 2022, 02:18:19 AMThat's actually the longest bit of Prehistoric Planet I've seen thus far, and I enjoyed the Latin translation. Thanks for posting!

I share somewhat similar opinions on taking inspiration from animals. It seems uncreative when designing animals, tho in some circumstances it could be interesting(counter shading for example). It's better if they mixed various animal colors, or even more so, started out from scratch. Sometimes it is executed in a way for i cannot tell(like Botm figures, or here in PP), but sometimes I see a Zebra carnotaurus, giraffe diplodocus, or cow triceratops, which looks unrealistic, uncreative, and unappealing. Your example about Cleopatra and Billie Elisha seems a bit more fitting for the examples I listed. In this case, it's more like portraying Cleopatra as a Kemetic Egyptian Pharoah rather than a Ptomleic on
Glad you liked it though.
Regarding your latin book,
I also don't understand why high schools don't offer latin anymore. Would had taken latin over Spanish if given the options
I don't think it was ever universal; at my high school the options were Spanish, French, German, and Latin. I knew students in other districts who were taking Japanese or Russian.

I think that as a matter of practicality more and more schools will offer Mandarin, Arabic, and Hindi, which along with English and Spanish cover most of the world's population. Latin is fun but impractical; honestly French and German are also joining that club. You can easily do business in most of Europe without speaking anything but English. The general bent of public education in the US has been going from a liberal arts model to a practical one, so it's only fitting (the liberal arts creed is that "the purpose of education is not to make men carpenters, but to make carpenters men" - not the spirit of our times at all).

Anyways, if you know Spanish you're already well on your way to understanding Latin (or vice versa). Latin just has more complex but also more regular rules for declension and conjugation, and no definite or indefinite articles. Put another way, Spanish is just dirty Latin (but not as dirty as French, mind you).

Halichoeres

My high school didn't offer Latin, but I took it at a community college and it satisfied my school's language requirement. I definitely know more Latin incidentally from studying science than I know from having taken that course, however. And I can recognize words because I speak Spanish, but I have lost essentially all grasp of the conjugations and declensions.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stegotyranno420

You make a point about people going for practicality. But personally I'm one of those people who think people should try out things not just for practicality. Seriously, how will knowing calculus, Latin, dinosaur phylogenetic data, etc help me in the woods. It doesn't need to, humans have moved on. Kids these days(yes I know I am a part of that group) often tell me such subjects are useless. I say we should be glad we even have a chance to try out things outside of the basics. This  is in my opinion, what makes humans(especially of our time)unique. Our desire and curiosity to learn "useless" things, not just to use them, but to experience the savor of learning. But each to their own at the end of the day.

As per Spanish-Latin knowledge, learning Latin with experience in Spanish is exactly like learning Sanskrit with Punjabi experience. Conjugations are a bit more complex and both languages, while still fusional, are slowly becoming analytical (like English) then agglutinative like Chinese or Finnish.
avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I had a similar situation. Except it's only with adjectives in my case.

Libraraptor

Very interesting to hear spoken Latin in the context of popular palaeontology. I do have the "Latinum", a German school certificate proving you are good at Latin. But hearing the spoken version, the predecessor of Italian, is very fascinating!

Stegotyranno420

Here's the other one of the scene with Hank as he is called

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.