News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Forum changes

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 02:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triceratops83

Quote from: SidB on September 28, 2022, 01:27:35 AM
Quote from: triceratops83 on September 28, 2022, 01:18:18 AMAs someone who has never used social media If
Quote from: triceratops83 on September 28, 2022, 01:18:18 AMAs someone who has never used social media or any forums other than this one, how does the "Like" button work? I clicked on it in someone's post but it switched to "Dislike" and now I'm not sure if I accidentally disapproved of the comment. I don't want to click on it again in case I become some sort of "Forum Grinch".
or any forums other than this one, how does the "Like" button work? I clicked on it in someone's post but it switched to "Dislike" and now I'm not sure if I accidentally disapproved of the comment. I don't want to click on it again in case I become some sort of "Forum Grinch".
When you click "Like", your choice is registered as such. The reason that "Dislike " appears is to give you the option to change your choice. You will see a confirmation beneath that stating that you liked the comment itself.

Ah, thanks!
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

SidB

Halichoeres

Quote from: triceratops83 on September 28, 2022, 01:18:18 AMAs someone who has never used social media or any forums other than this one, how does the "Like" button work? I clicked on it in someone's post but it switched to "Dislike" and now I'm not sure if I accidentally disapproved of the comment. I don't want to click on it again in case I become some sort of "Forum Grinch".

Re: the bolded part, man, good for you. I expect you're better off.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

triceratops83

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 28, 2022, 07:23:09 PMRe: the bolded part, man, good for you. I expect you're better off.

Heh, I don't doubt it.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Halichoeres

I have to say I'm not wild about the like button myself. It's gotten to where I don't check my alerts.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

ceratopsian

I prefer to try to comment a little on the post.  And no, I don't check my alerts either!

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 30, 2022, 03:51:09 PMI have to say I'm not wild about the like button myself. It's gotten to where I don't check my alerts.

Halichoeres

Yes, I'm the same way!

On another note, I'm still seeing big white spaces at the bottoms of some pages, sometimes expanding the total length of the page by 30% or more. It isn't every thread, but I haven't noticed a pattern in which threads are affected, I'm afraid.

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 30, 2022, 03:51:09 PMI have to say I'm not wild about the like button myself. It's gotten to where I don't check my alerts.
I'm not saying that it's become a problem, because I for one find it useful, lying comfortably between typing out a comment and saying nothing. But it would become a problem if it became a widespread substitute for the comments, stultifying personal conversation and dialog. Presumably we're not at that point yet?

Halichoeres

Quote from: SidB on October 01, 2022, 05:08:21 PM
I'm not saying that it's become a problem, because I for one find it useful, lying comfortably between typing out a comment and saying nothing. But it would become a problem if it became a widespread substitute for the comments, stultifying personal conversation and dialog. Presumably we're not at that point yet?

I don't think so? Comments are down from this time last year, but that doesn't mean one caused the other. Last year Shonisaurus was able to comment a lot more, and comments engender other comments, so his absence might explain the difference as easily as the like button does.

Faelrin

Not sure where to post this, but twice today I've been logged out after hitting the post button (using the quick reply), only to lose my post. It's not like I was sitting at my post for too long, before going to submit it. Just something very strange, and thought I'd bring it up.

And it appears I'm still having that odd issue with typing comments like I did a while back, where the typing line jumps to the end of the sentence or paragraph and makes editing a pain. Though I've finally realized it has something to do with the @ sign and not necessarily using it with a user name. It seems it might be thinking the rest of the sentence is calling for someone, even though it isn't. Can anyone else confirm this is happening?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Libraraptor

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin , no, I can´t. For me posting is as comfortable as ever.

I´d also like to write some lines on the "like" - button. I have been observing its impact over the last few weeks and I think people, including me, have become a little more lazy in leading real discussions. I can´t tell yet if the buttons are the reason for or a symptom of this overall internet trend which confuses "like" and "dislike" - buttons with real opinions and comments.

ceratopsian

I have not experienced any issues posting, avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, either on desktop or phone.

Faelrin

Thanks for confirming that you aren't running into this folks. Wonder if it is tied to the browsers I use. I use the most recent Firefox on my laptop, and Ecoasia's chrome like browser. Both have the issue for me. Not sure why. Laptop I primarily use now is Win 11, and phone is an Android (not sure which version).

ceratopsian

I'm using Chrome and Safari avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin.

Halichoeres

Weird that it's happening on both your devices and in different browsers. It's not logging you out though, is it? If so I might suspect some kind of firewall setting.

Quote from: Libraraptor on October 21, 2022, 08:21:23 AMI´d also like to write some lines on the "like" - button. I have been observing its impact over the last few weeks and I think people, including me, have become a little more lazy in leading real discussions. I can´t tell yet if the buttons are the reason for or a symptom of this overall internet trend which confuses "like" and "dislike" - buttons with real opinions and comments.

I've been studiously avoiding the button myself. I find it an unwelcome addition to the forum.

Faelrin

Not wholly, but acts like it is when I go to post things. It's not all the time either. Does seem more frequent the longer I am to come up with something, but it's not like I'm letting it sit there for too long. Plus I have the forum setting set to forever anyways. Worth mentioning the logging out thing I only have on my Windows 11 laptop and again the Firefox browser, since I forgot to mention that earlier.

The @ sign thing occurs on both browsers and devices though. And still happening as I type this. Easiest solution for me now is just to only add them in before I go to hit the post (and there have been a few times I've forgotten, and had to edit them in).

Anyways thanks for pointing that out it could be a firewall issue. Wouldn't be surprised if it is something to do with Firefox or the way I have it configured as well, though I wouldn't even know where to start in that regard.  Edit: Maybe an issue with Comcast/Xfinitiy as well, my provider, which has no shortage of problems throughout the years I've been stuck with them. But I honestly don't know.

Flaffy

Is it just me or has the Search function been rather off lately? Sometimes I want to find older posts/conversations within threads by searching keywords; but either limited, or even no results pop up.

I've checked spelling and spacing so that isn't the issue.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Flaffy on October 25, 2022, 05:24:53 PMIs it just me or has the Search function been rather off lately? Sometimes I want to find older posts/conversations within threads by searching keywords; but either limited, or even no results pop up.

I've checked spelling and spacing so that isn't the issue.

As far as I can tell, forum-wide search works fine, but within-thread search is completely broken. It's unfortunate because forum-wide only returns the most recent post in a thread to mention a term, but sometimes a term might be mentioned dozens of times in a single thread.

postsaurischian

The forum has become less attractive by loosing a proper search option.
I still don't understand how this could happen. It was important.
Meanwhile I have to use Google picture search when I'm looking for a particular post. That is sad.

SidB

Hopefully, this capacity can be restored. It is (was) an important "depth" or historical element to the DTF.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: