News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Facebook, Twitter, Google+, & Mastodon

Started by DinoToyForum, May 07, 2012, 01:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Just a quick announcement that avatar_Pachyrhinosaurus @Pachyrhinosaurus has stepped down from his duties as Dinotoyblog rep on our Facebook page. Thank you for all of your contributions over the years!

This means avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres is now the only active member of our social media team, continuing to do a stellar job on Twitter. So, I'm on the lookout again for anyone who may be able to become an admin for our Facebook page and help share new dinotoyblog posts there.

avatar_Minmiminime @Minmiminime does your offer from 2017 still stand?

Or, is it even worth keeping the Facebook page alive? What do members think?

ceratopsian

Has it ever brought in new members? 

It might send people over to YouTube I suppose.

I have previously found it useful when the Forum is down (and hence the Forum's message system not available), as one can send a message via Messenger to investigate what is happening.   (I don't use Twitter.)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ceratopsian on September 18, 2020, 02:43:13 PM

I have previously found it useful when the Forum is down (and hence the Forum's message system not available), as one can send a message via Messenger to investigate what is happening.   (I don't use Twitter.)

Good question. Nobody's ever mentioned Facebook in this thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=371.0

But I can check out my Google Analytics to find out... I'll do that now and report back!

Bokisaurus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 18, 2020, 05:25:46 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on September 18, 2020, 02:43:13 PM

Good question. Nobody's ever mentioned Facebook in this thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=371.0

But I can check out my Google Analytics to find out... I'll do that now and report back!

It might not bring in new members, but I think it gives the blog a different exposure, I noticed some artists/ sculptors, you tuber, sometimes would like or share post.

DinoToyForum

Some numbers!

Facebook accounts for 1.06% (20,338) sessions of incoming traffic to the DTF and represents 47.31% of all social media traffic to the DTF (2.24% = 42,985 sessions) over the past five years.
Facebook accounts for 3.37% (39,436) sessions of incoming traffic to the DTB and represents 62.66% of all social media traffic to the DTB (5.37% = 62,935 sessions) over the past five years

Twitter accounts for 0.2% (3,925) sessions of incoming traffic to the DTF and represents 9.13% of all social media traffic to the DTF (2.24% = 42,985 sessions) over the past five years
Twitter accounts for 0.7% (8,155) sessions of incoming traffic to the DTB and represents 12.96% of all social media traffic to the DTB (5.37% = 62,935 sessions) over the past five years.

So the percentages are small but the absolute numbers are still substantial, and those sessions may turn into new members or repeat visitors.

Clearly, Facebook is more successful at generating visits than Twitter, even though the Facebook page has not been maintained as well. I think that's partly because there are more followers on Facebook, and partly because people use Twitter differently, it seems to be a more self-contained platform.

Syndicate Bias

I was not aware that we even had a FB page. Given that I spend alot more time on FB feeds looking at current posts since my free roam account is mostly just for dinosaur stuff I see it as an ongoing support for us here to have more exposure since Twitter is well...not as engaging.

What exactly are all the responsibilities/expectations that come with the role for the FB page?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on September 18, 2020, 06:14:28 PM
I was not aware that we even had a FB page. Given that I spend alot more time on FB feeds looking at current posts since my free roam account is mostly just for dinosaur stuff I see it as an ongoing support for us here to have more exposure since Twitter is well...not as engaging.

What exactly are all the responsibilities/expectations that come with the role for the FB page?

The only duty is to keep an eye on the Dinosaur Toy Blog and share new reviews to the Facebook Page. But I'm also happy for the rep to share links to forum posts, reply to questions, comment as DTB on other posts across facebook, and generally inject a little personality and activity into the page.

Minmiminime

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 18, 2020, 12:59:14 PM
Just a quick announcement that avatar_Pachyrhinosaurus @Pachyrhinosaurus has stepped down from his duties as Dinotoyblog rep on our Facebook page. Thank you for all of your contributions over the years!

This means avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres is now the only active member of our social media team, continuing to do a stellar job on Twitter. So, I'm on the lookout again for anyone who may be able to become an admin for our Facebook page and help share new dinotoyblog posts there.

I...can't remember what I offered, but I do have a lot more free time now and I'm happy to help out any way I can  :)
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Minmiminime on September 19, 2020, 09:13:46 PM

I...can't remember what I offered, but I do have a lot more free time now and I'm happy to help out any way I can  :)

Ha, well it was a long time ago avatar_Minmiminime @Minmiminime. You offered to share new blog entries on the Dinotoyblog facebook page.

Minmiminime

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 20, 2020, 05:07:00 PM
Quote from: Minmiminime on September 19, 2020, 09:13:46 PM

Ha, well it was a long time ago avatar_Minmiminime @Minmiminime. You offered to share new blog entries on the Dinotoyblog facebook page.

Ah, yes! That rings a bell  ^-^ I can certainly do that if you like!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Halichoeres

While we're on the subject, if you're a reviewer and you want me to tag you when I tweet your reviews, send me a message with your handle (or you can drop it here if you like).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Minmiminime

I would really appreciate that, thank you! Apologies for the late reply. My attendance here is rare! I will send you a PM 🦖

suspsy

I think it's high time the DTB Facebook page was kickstarted back into life. The last review to be posted there was back in August 2021. The Facebook page has more than 2,000 followers; there's no reason to think that regularly posting reviews won't help to increase visits and ratings on the site.

And if no one else wants to do that, I'm happy to volunteer. I'm on Facebook all the time anyway.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

postsaurischian

Facebook is a highly criminal business company.
 I'm glad I've been able to stand up to them so far, even though it could have saved me some money.
 I hope the DTF's main activities will never take place there.

suspsy

Quote from: postsaurischian on October 28, 2022, 03:22:39 PMFacebook is a highly criminal business company.
 I'm glad I've been able to stand up to them so far, even though it could have saved me some money.
 I hope the DTF's main activities will never take place there.

Your personal animosity toward Facebook is not without merit, but it's not a justification for not using it to promote the DTB. And what do you mean by "main activities" anyway? It's not like the blog or the forum is ever going to migrate to Facebook. We're just talking about posting links to reviews.

postsaurischian

Quote from: suspsy on October 28, 2022, 04:00:21 PMYour personal animosity toward Facebook is not without merit, but it's not a justification for not using it to promote the DTB. And what do you mean by "main activities" anyway? It's not like the blog or the forum is ever going to migrate to Facebook. We're just talking about posting links to reviews.

avatar_suspsy @suspsy, do not feel personally attacked! Otherwise I would have quoted you.
According to the thread's title, I was just expressing my attitude and hopes.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: suspsy on October 28, 2022, 02:15:37 PMI think it's high time the DTB Facebook page was kickstarted back into life. The last review to be posted there was back in August 2021. The Facebook page has more than 2,000 followers; there's no reason to think that regularly posting reviews won't help to increase visits and ratings on the site.

And if no one else wants to do that, I'm happy to volunteer. I'm on Facebook all the time anyway.

It might have 2,500 followers but the reach of any post is actually negligible unless the post is 'boosted' (i.e paid for). It doesn't matter how many 'followers' there are if posts don't appear in follower's feeds. For example, a typical blog review post on Facebook typically reaches as few as eight(!), and never more than 300, of the 2,500 followers. This is why I have allowed the Facebook page to become inactive. It isn't as powerful an outreach tool as it once was and it simply isn't worth the time, effort, or - not on my watch - money!

Thanks for volunteering all the same!

Fembrogon

Qualms with the company aside (reasonable though they are), Facebook is a pretty active hub for the paleo-community. Having an active page on there again, with posts that can also be shared to other paleo and collecting groups, would probably be of great benefit to the main site for viewership, and possibly entice even more discussion on FB and the forums alike.

suspsy

Quote from: postsaurischian on October 28, 2022, 04:19:07 PM
Quote from: suspsy on October 28, 2022, 04:00:21 PMYour personal animosity toward Facebook is not without merit, but it's not a justification for not using it to promote the DTB. And what do you mean by "main activities" anyway? It's not like the blog or the forum is ever going to migrate to Facebook. We're just talking about posting links to reviews.

avatar_suspsy @suspsy, do not feel personally attacked! Otherwise I would have quoted you.
According to the thread's title, I was just expressing my attitude and hopes.

Excuse me?

When did I ever accuse you of personally attacking me? I read what you had to say and I then explained why it really doesn't constitute a valid argument for not sharing DTB reviews on Facebook. That's it.

Quote from: Fembrogon on October 28, 2022, 04:26:49 PMQualms with the company aside (reasonable though they are), Facebook is a pretty active hub for the paleo-community. Having an active page on there again, with posts that can also be shared to other paleo and collecting groups, would probably be of great benefit to the main site for viewership, and possibly entice even more discussion on FB and the forums alike.

Precisely this!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Fembrogon on October 28, 2022, 04:26:49 PMQualms with the company aside (reasonable though they are), Facebook is a pretty active hub for the paleo-community. Having an active page on there again, with posts that can also be shared to other paleo and collecting groups, would probably be of great benefit to the main site for viewership, and possibly entice even more discussion on FB and the forums alike.

The Facebook page is a means to an end, not an end itself, so when I see conversations there, instead of here, it feels like I shot myself in the foot! :-[  I suppose this is another reason why I'm not keen on populating the Facebook page with content. I want the Facebook page to promote the blog and forum, that's all, and it isn't very good for that. So, why bother.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: