News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2023

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2022, 02:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bread

Okay that Hadrosaurus looks much better, and now I am beginning to see why everyone is not so happy with the Triceratops (lol).

suspsy

I won't bother commenting on that alleged list of leaks until it's confirmed or debunked next week.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Prehistory Resurrection

The Hadrosaurus is beautiful indeed. Really like the colourful fleshy nasal cavity; a signature feature of this species. Other hadrosaurs such as Parasaurolophus, Edmontosaurus; among others tend to overshadow Hadrosaurus due to them being more well-known but sadly, the own one that gave its name to this group was not given due respect. Finally this is not the case anymore thanks to CollectA. It has a single hoof on each front limb just like this year's Edmontosaurus; which is accurate. The overall sculpt is very nice and scientifically accurate; not surprising with CollectA but I feel the color scheme could be better but that may be just me. All in all, a beautiful figure. The striding pose is another appeal of this figure for me.

Another Triceratops! This year's Deluxe Triceratops was very good according to me; but the only downside of this figure for me was the size. I think it's good we are getting a scaled down version. Two of this figure will be perfect for a fighting diorama. A little boomer is the inclusion of quills as with all of CollectA's ceratopsians; it is a speculative feature but I guess it's an artistic liberty for CollectA. Nice figure.

And lastly the spinosaur; the Ceratosuchops. Really pleasant to see a recently discovered and fragmentary species being made into a figure. The colors are pleasant and the sculpt is scientifically accurate.

All in all, as with all of CollectA's reveals each year; this 1st part of their reveals for 2023 is another win for me from CollectA. The inclusion of an obscure and recently discovered species really pleases me. Hope to see other species from other categories apart from dinosaurs such as prehistoric mammals, marine reptiles; among others in their next prehistoric reveal.

SidB

I only collected scattered examples of their non-mammalian ranges, so I'm waiting to see if CollectA releases an extinct mammal this year, as they generally do. As has been mentioned, a megatherium would be most welcome, in either a 1/20 or 1/35 format.

Fembrogon

I'll echo the positive sentiments made here so far: this is a strong start for next year's reveals!

Hadrosaurus is the standout of the three for me. Collecta has been doing a very good job with their ornithopods in the last several years; and while this genus may still be fragmentary, it's an important enough genus that it really deserves more figures to its name. This should do nicely! I hope we continue to see more like it.
Ceratosuchops is another fragmentary genus, but I commend Collecta for continuing to cover recent discoveries swiftly, and the figure looks quite good so far. Maybe we could get a Suchomimus in the near future?
Triceratops might be the weakest of the three, but it still looks decent, and I appreciate Collecta for providing a standard-size update of the three-horn for their line at last. I do agree that a scaled-down version of their Protoceratops would be very welcome also - throw in Styracosaurus for good measure too.

ceratopsian

There are two different toy versions of a standing Spinosaurus from the Carnegie line avatar_Lynx @Lynx. Probably others around too from before the relatively recent Ibrahim revisions.

Quote from: Lynx on November 04, 2022, 02:15:51 PMHoping from the bottom of my heart that the last release is a standing Spinosaurus. CollectA would technically be the first to make a toy figure of a standing spinosaurus, afaik.

Lynx

Quote from: ceratopsian on November 04, 2022, 03:30:25 PMThere are two different toy versions of a standing Spinosaurus from the Carnegie line avatar_Lynx @Lynx. Probably others around too from before the relatively recent Ibrahim revisions.

Quote from: Lynx on November 04, 2022, 02:15:51 PMHoping from the bottom of my heart that the last release is a standing Spinosaurus. CollectA would technically be the first to make a toy figure of a standing spinosaurus, afaik.

I mean based on the 2022 depictions, as their last release was a swimming one.. hundreds of companies have done a standing spinosaurus, that is not what I meant in the slightest.
An oversized house cat.

Carnoking

Don't forget Mesozoic Life's updated standing Spino. Although when that's coming and whether CollectA releases one that would technically hit the market before theirs is anyone's guess.

Sim

CollectA has made a lot of ceratopsids and ornithopods, I think it would have been better to see something different that needed the representation more.  Although the Hadrosaurus looks good.  I don't understand the compliments for the Ceratosuchops.  Its mouth doesn't look anything like a spinosaurid's or that of Ceratosuchops.

Lynx

Quote from: Sim on November 04, 2022, 03:54:35 PMCollectA has made a lot of ceratopsids and ornithopods, I think it would have been better to see something different that needed the representation more.  Although the Hadrosaurus looks good.  I don't understand the compliments for the Ceratosuchops.  Its mouth doesn't look anything like a spinosaurid's or that of Ceratosuchops.

I don't see what you mean, the figure looks wonderful and if you mean the lack of the hooked jaw, it is likely covered by/disguised by lips as shown on the figure. Ceratosuchops does not even have a fully discovered skull, so that doesn't make much sense either. Could you clarify a bit?
An oversized house cat.

Sim

Notice how Ceratosuchops has teeth in the premaxilla that emerge backwards while on the CollectA figure they come straight down from the socket.  Also notice how the teeth of Ceratosuchops's premaxilla vary greatly in size while on the CollectA figure they are the same size.  If lips were covering the hook part of the jaw you'd see a gap in the tooth row due to the small size of the fourth, fifth and sixth tooth which would be hidden under the lip.

I also doubt the curve of the upper jaw would be hidden under lip while the curve of the lower jaw isn't since in spinosaurids the jaws come together to create a "fish trap".

It's disappointing as I would've bought an accurate Ceratosuchops as I love baryonichines, but this one doesn't look like any spinosaurid I've seen.

Lynx

Quote from: Sim on November 04, 2022, 04:47:09 PMNotice how Ceratosuchops has teeth in the premaxilla that emerge backwards while on the CollectA figure they come straight down from the socket.  Also notice how the teeth of Ceratosuchops's premaxilla vary greatly in size while on the CollectA figure they are the same size.  If lips were covering the hook part of the jaw you'd see a gap in the tooth row due to the small size of the fourth, fifth and sixth tooth which would be hidden under the lip.

I also doubt the curve of the upper jaw would be hidden under lip while the curve of the lower jaw isn't since in spinosaurids the jaws come together to create a "fish trap".

It's disappointing as I would've bought an accurate Ceratosuchops as I love baryonichines, but this one doesn't look like any spinosaurid I've seen.

That is very odd, and a noticeable flaw for sure. I like the colors, but it is quite hard to not see this flaw once it has been noticed.
An oversized house cat.

DragonRider02

Paleofiguras has posted three more possible leaks: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=448780154028391&set=a.415867517319655

- Stegouros (1:6)
- Koolasuchus
- Anomalocaris

Halichoeres

In the past these leaks have come from Greek retailers, although I don't know where paleofiguras got them this time. I think in the quest for Internet clout, paleofiguras sometimes jumps the gun, but previous CollectA product list leaks have been accurate to my recollection.

Anyway, I like the Hadrosaurus. That will replace my DeAgostini one. I'll probably end up getting the Ceratosuchops eventually, but I am pretty bored of spinosaurs.

[Edited for correct attribution of shared leaks]
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Lynx on November 04, 2022, 03:32:55 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on November 04, 2022, 03:30:25 PMThere are two different toy versions of a standing Spinosaurus from the Carnegie line avatar_Lynx @Lynx. Probably others around too from before the relatively recent Ibrahim revisions.

I mean based on the 2022 depictions, as their last release was a swimming one.. hundreds of companies have done a standing spinosaurus, that is not what I meant in the slightest.

mesozoic life currently
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Sim

I'd like to add that I've seen a surprising amount of negative opinions for CollectA's two newer Baryonyx and I can't work out why.  They are excellent, definitely among the best Baryonyx figures and better than this new Ceratosuchops... and the new Safari Baryonyx.  Although these last two figures are better in not having a base, in my opinion.

suspsy

Meh. The Ceratosuchops' mouth is a relatively trivial affair and really doesn't hurt the toy overall. I passed on the image to Darren Naish, who helped describe the genus, and he's ecstatic about this toy. His exact words: "YES! Very pleased and can't wait to get one!!"
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Renecito

Quote from: Sim on November 04, 2022, 05:58:59 PMI'd like to add that I've seen a surprising amount of negative opinions for CollectA's two newer Baryonyx and I can't work out why.  They are excellent, definitely among the best Baryonyx figures and better than this new Ceratosuchops... and the new Safari Baryonyx.  Although these last two figures are better in not having a base, in my opinion.

I agree with you about Collecta's Baryonyx and I'm not a fan of the bases either but I prefer them over they having oversize feet.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Lynx

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 04, 2022, 05:53:44 PM
Quote from: Lynx on November 04, 2022, 03:32:55 PM

mesozoic life currently

a toy
An oversized house cat.

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim I just don't like the spikes they gave it. Same reason I'm not the biggest fan of the Spinosaurus. Doesn't feel too plausible to me. I think the hump is a bit strange too. Rest of it is okay though. I've also never been a fan of the permanent bases either. I think PNSO's approach is much better (and much better support long term as well).

avatar_DragonRider02 @DragonRider02 Now those would make me very happy (even if the latter has more then enough figures out there. I mean I would know since I have most by now lol). If it turns out to be true anyways. Stegouros is also quite plausible with how quick they are with newly described species (such as this year's Ceratosuchops, or things like the Borealopelta, Lisowicia, etc in previous years). Well some of the more popular ones I imagine.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: