News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YesIAmaDinosaur

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on January 06, 2023, 05:05:09 AMI've only just taken an interest in JP figure sets, so i'm late to the party.  I didn't expect that the Mattel Jurassic stuff to sell out so quickly and jump in price so much. 

I was in a similar boat as I started getting these around August of 2022 but the truth is, not sure where you're located or what you have available to check but I would peep all the Target stores that you can. I found two Apatasaurus, normally 60, for 15 bucks each...I found that kitchen pack discounted for a similarly very low price...I even see the Hammond Collection figs marked down pretty regularly. Also at one point found a Supercolossal Indominous Rex marked down to like 15 bucks as well.

Might be worth looking out for that T-Rex and Explorer set because that one is all over the place and when that gets marked down it will probably go quickly.
@DramaticoRising on YouTube and Instagram

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: YesIAmaDinosaur on January 06, 2023, 04:16:53 PM
Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on January 06, 2023, 05:05:09 AMI've only just taken an interest in JP figure sets, so i'm late to the party.  I didn't expect that the Mattel Jurassic stuff to sell out so quickly and jump in price so much. 

I was in a similar boat as I started getting these around August of 2022 but the truth is, not sure where you're located or what you have available to check but I would peep all the Target stores that you can. I found two Apatasaurus, normally 60, for 15 bucks each...I found that kitchen pack discounted for a similarly very low price...I even see the Hammond Collection figs marked down pretty regularly. Also at one point found a Supercolossal Indominous Rex marked down to like 15 bucks as well.

Might be worth looking out for that T-Rex and Explorer set because that one is all over the place and when that gets marked down it will probably go quickly.

I wish I had Targets like that, ours hardly ever does sales. I think I picked up the Capture/Crush truck for half off once and they had like 100 of them.   They do send stock that doesn't sell to Goodwill and other stores, I've found the Legacy carded figures at one, of course they were still regular price there.

YesIAmaDinosaur

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 06, 2023, 04:49:55 PM

I wish I had Targets like that, ours hardly ever does sales. I think I picked up the Capture/Crush truck for half off once and they had like 100 of them.   They do send stock that doesn't sell to Goodwill and other stores, I've found the Legacy carded figures at one, of course they were still regular price there.

It might happen more often than you think. When I do come across it, it's kind of random. There's never any telling when it's coming other than the fact that an item has been sitting there for 'a while'. It's subjective to each store though, I think, which doesn't really help.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: YesIAmaDinosaur on January 06, 2023, 06:16:33 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 06, 2023, 04:49:55 PM

It might happen more often than you think. When I do come across it, it's kind of random. There's never any telling when it's coming other than the fact that an item has been sitting there for 'a while'. It's subjective to each store though, I think, which doesn't really help.

It's definitely subjective, I've been to three Targets this week and no clearanced items at all. There is a lot of things that don't seem to sell but maybe it's just a constant replenished stock.  There was a lot on sale over the holidays though, but mainly online.

YesIAmaDinosaur

Faelrin

avatar_YesIAmaDinosaur @YesIAmaDinosaur I've seen reports from folks that both him, the HC Ray, and the new Legacy Jeep set are already showing up at some Targets. I expect they'll probably be more widespread by next month. No sign of the HC Pachycephalosaurus or male JPIII raptor yet though. Ditto with the Ankylosaurus and Geosternbergia. Haven't heard of the new mainline stuff popping up there either.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

https://www.target.com/p/jurassic-world-hammond-collection-concavenator/-/A-87046814

This was what caught my eye recently. Sold out at the moment but hopefully it starts popping up for shipping soon seeing as it's out of stock on Amazon and BBTS.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on January 09, 2023, 10:56:20 PMhttps://www.target.com/p/jurassic-world-hammond-collection-concavenator/-/A-87046814

This was what caught my eye recently. Sold out at the moment but hopefully it starts popping up for shipping soon seeing as it's out of stock on Amazon and BBTS.

You can still preorder it with free shipping at EE : https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/jurassic-world-hammond-collection-concavenator-action-figure/mthlp36

Carnoking

I totally forgot about EE. Thanks for the heads up

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on January 10, 2023, 02:21:17 PMI totally forgot about EE. Thanks for the heads up

Quite welcome. I have preorders in at few places, just curious who gets theirs in first. EE says February, BBTS I think still says January but they are known to just move dates back.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'd say the set is worth it for the Ellie and Jeep, you still need a rain coat Muldoon I think and the injured Malcolm to make the set work.  Add in the HC Rex chasing it and you have a cool diorama.

andrewsaurus rex

a rain coat Muldoon would have made more sense as the figure since he was the one driving the jeep.  And the raptor makes no sense.  Better to have included two figures, Ellie and Muldoon and no dinosaur.

Will the jeep have the orange stripe above the rear fender this time or is Mattel going to cheap out again like they did on Nedry's jeep?

Gwangi

If Mattel is going to keep doing sets like this that recreate iconic scenes they should also strive for scene accuracy. There is no reason for a raptor in the Risky Rescue set. Should have been Ellie and Muldoon, and maybe Malcolm. Likewise, the set with Roland should have included his gun and driver. Really bizarre that the set didn't include a driver as Roland is supposed to be in the passenger seat. And if you NEED a dinosaur in the set maybe start packing in a few Compsognathus. Mattel seems to have abandoned the Compsognathus but I thought including them with figures was a neat idea.

MLMjp

They throw random dinosaurs into their set and vehicles because apparently the non dinosaur figures of the Jurassic World line aren't the biggest sellers.

Remember that human figures became self warmers back in 2018 with the fallen kingdom line. Mattel took that "fail" to the extreme and now their mentality is that everything has to have a dinosaur in it, unless it's from the Hammond collection...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on January 11, 2023, 01:40:54 PMa rain coat Muldoon would have made more sense as the figure since he was the one driving the jeep.  And the raptor makes no sense.  Better to have included two figures, Ellie and Muldoon and no dinosaur.

Will the jeep have the orange stripe above the rear fender this time or is Mattel going to cheap out again like they did on Nedry's jeep?

I think Mattel does do some research, there were fans making their own Ellie in a raincoat customs, oddly I haven't seen a Muldoon one. You also can use her flashlight from the original Legacy line. I'll echo others and these vehicle sets have to include a dinosaur of some sort. It's a kid/parent mentality the business is using, kid love dinosaurs, parent will set with dinosaur and he also have a human and jeep because said kid also is probably a boy and loves cars/trucks.

Video shows the back view.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on January 11, 2023, 03:08:11 PMIf Mattel is going to keep doing sets like this that recreate iconic scenes they should also strive for scene accuracy. There is no reason for a raptor in the Risky Rescue set. Should have been Ellie and Muldoon, and maybe Malcolm. Likewise, the set with Roland should have included his gun and driver. Really bizarre that the set didn't include a driver as Roland is supposed to be in the passenger seat. And if you NEED a dinosaur in the set maybe start packing in a few Compsognathus. Mattel seems to have abandoned the Compsognathus but I thought including them with figures was a neat idea.

This one is a mix up for sure.  You have the Rex escape Ellie and Jeep and a Raptor from the bunker scene where Ellie get the power back on, they even used the background from the SDCC Ray Arnold set for it. There was no jeep in that scene and Ellie had no raincoat she was just dirty and had the radio/flashlight. They just gave us parts of each for some reason. This is probably the first set I'll open in a long time. The others looked good in their boxes like the Nedry set.

I'll bet they wore out those compy molds, I had ones with no heads mitten feet and short tails. But they were a great add in.  I think there are human/baby dino packs planned for this year too a Kenner throwback line maybe?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: MLMjp on January 11, 2023, 03:21:38 PMThey throw random dinosaurs into their set and vehicles because apparently the non dinosaur figures of the Jurassic World line aren't the biggest sellers.

Remember that human figures became self warmers back in 2018 with the fallen kingdom line. Mattel took that "fail" to the extreme and now their mentality is that everything has to have a dinosaur in it, unless it's from the Hammond collection...

That's the thing with a JP line. It's not just dinosaurs, though that is the main draw. You need humans, vehicles, playsets to build the world and have that containment/escape factor for play.

Now you make 2 million Owens and yeah he's gonna shelf warm hard. Claire with the Gyrosphere though I saw one and never again, people are still buying that set for 50.00 .

I don't know if the Hammond Collection is totally free from it, I've seen every human clearanced to a degree so far.

andrewsaurus rex

i'm starting to think that this line is popular in spite of Mattel.   They've made many dumb decisions, in my view.  Obviously popular sets that are exclusives and difficult to find for many fans, except at scalper prices.   Over producing bland items for mass retail that have an inch of dust on them. 

And when they do produce popular items, they never release them again.  It's like whoever is making the decisions has never sat through all the movies, or if he/she did, they didn't really like them...   

andrewsaurus rex

Quote from: MLMjp on January 11, 2023, 03:21:38 PMThey throw random dinosaurs into their set and vehicles because apparently the non dinosaur figures of the Jurassic World line aren't the biggest sellers.

That's interesting because for me, it's the human figures that are the draw to this line.  I don't care for most of Mattel's dinosaur toys, with a few exceptions.  But the human figures and vehicles/accessories do appeal to me.  Unfortunately, including dino figures with the human packs greatly elevates the price of the sets, especially if you have to go after market to get them.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: