News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpartanSquat

Not exactly 1:1 from dinosaur king, the guy sent a pic of irritator from jurassic park game from gameboy and reminded me to dinosaur king ones. Maybe he is referring the irritator has a crest in the head. Also remember some dinosaurs are gettign resculpts like herrerasaurus or the real feel triceratops

DinoFan2010

MATTEL, ENOUGH OF THIS! JUST MAKE GOOD LOOKING, GOOD QUALITY TOYS! In all seriousness, Mattel needs to put more effort into their toys, or they will become Hasbro's Jurassic World Line In the near future. I mean, how did we come from this

to THIS in 6 years!?

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Flaffy

I still consider the original Thrash and Throw to be one of the best Mattel mainline offerings.
Partially due to it's release setting the high standard of quality for the line...

SpartanSquat

Oh yeah, I really dont like how they added lights and the large speaker holes, Mattel in a way comeback to hasbro. I dont know why they have to redesign some mechanisms. For example battle damages and roarivores were great, I dont get why you need to push the creature, I saw many brown and blue rajas with stability problems because the gimmick.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I've mentioned it before. Yes Mattel does share some blame here, but not all. In regard the Damage lines, you can blame Walmart. They tell Mattel they will pay so much for something and Mattel has to make it work within their budget. I can say from experience that walmart has very little invested in what they sell. 

Other stores do the same. I'd say Target invests more so they want exclusives and they get them because of it.

Nyrorosaurus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 23, 2023, 11:53:38 PMI've mentioned it before. Yes Mattel does share some blame here, but not all. In regard the Damage lines, you can blame Walmart. They tell Mattel they will pay so much for something and Mattel has to make it work within their budget. I can say from experience that walmart has very little invested in what they sell.
I think it's exactly this. These new Walmart exclusives fit right in with the the cheap Adventure Force dino toys they already sell at Walmart

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Nyrorosaurus on January 24, 2023, 03:46:52 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 23, 2023, 11:53:38 PMI've mentioned it before. Yes Mattel does share some blame here, but not all. In regard the Damage lines, you can blame Walmart. They tell Mattel they will pay so much for something and Mattel has to make it work within their budget. I can say from experience that walmart has very little invested in what they sell.
I think it's exactly this. These new Walmart exclusives fit right in with the the cheap Adventure Force dino toys they already sell at Walmart

sadly it's what happens. Mattel is a big company but they have to answer to their retailers, markets and licensors. which is why even if I don't buy it all or agree with every decision I'm still impressed they have done so much.

TheHeavyWing

The figure I'm most excited about is the Habit Defender Triceratops. As mentioned before, it's very possible it will be the regular JW animal, but it can also be a different (new) design, just like the white Dino Trackers Stego. If Mattel were smart, it will use the JP mold for a perfect model + accurate sized figure. But I wouldn't be surprised if they ruined a bigger sculpt with a crappy design.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: TheHeavyWing on January 24, 2023, 10:57:08 AMThe figure I'm most excited about is the Habit Defender Triceratops. As mentioned before, it's very possible it will be the regular JW animal, but it can also be a different (new) design, just like the white Dino Trackers Stego. If Mattel were smart, it will use the JP mold for a perfect model + accurate sized figure. But I wouldn't be surprised if they ruined a bigger sculpt with a crappy design.

I don't think we've had a bad triceratops from them really, they'll use what files they have I'm sure, the larger ones tend to get more detail at least.

CityRaptor

Habitat Defender Triceratops!
https://twitter.com/collectjurassic/status/1618240118921498624
Looks pretty good and shows what Mattel is capable of doing when they are not hindered by the likes of Walmart and Target.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Flaffy

So Mattel can do natural looking ceratopsian jaw articulation... So why didn't they do that for the """premium""" HC version?
Good size too. Something that again, should've been done for its HC counterpart as well.

Gwangi

It looks fantastic, but I almost don't want to get it just out of spite. This is how Mattel gets you to pay for the same thing more than once. It looks virtually identical to the HC Trike but larger and with jaw articulation. They should have made it look like the Trike from The Lost World, which was larger than the JP Trike. It also annoys me that the HC Trike is supposed to be the Trike for collectors but this one is a mainline figure that's arguably better. But yeah, I won't deny that it's a beaut.

suspsy

That's big business for you. Why make just one toy that will sell well when you can make two?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

Just for comparison. I'm glad I passed on the HC Trike. I do wish they gave the HD Trike the grey patterning deco though.

Carnoking

Well, goodbye HC trike.

ItsTwentyBelow

Awesome, I have never seen a Triceratops that compares to the original Kenner JP figure until now! Glad I decided early on that I did not want any of Mattel's many, many mini-Trike repaints (although some had attractive paint apps), or the similarly tiny Hammond Triceratops. The wait has paid off.

Pliosaurking

Now that's what I'm talking about! That Trike looks awesome! I do agree that this should have been the Hammond Collection Trike to begin with.

DinoFan2010

So, is there some sort of play feature, cuz I don't see anything that would show a play feature.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

MLMjp

OH MY GOD

I was totally expecting this to be a JW sculpt with potentially a not so good paint-scheme. I literaly can't express how much I LOVE this and I don't give a dinosaur sized dropping about the scummy business practice of putting out the better version after everyone has already bought the inferior one. (It's not like these are super expensive collectables...looking at you SH monsterarts..) It can also be possible that this wasn't planned at all and the Mattel did in response to the negative feedback on the HC trike...But who cares!

I need this thing and I need it NOW!

And I don't give another dinosaur sized dropping about the extra articulation of the HC one, so no issues with the lack of thereof on this one.

PD: anyone from Europe wants a Hammond Collection Trike? I'll sell it for retail price...box included...

Shane

The HC collection was kind of a let down in that the articulation didn't really suit the figure, AND it had no articulated jaw.

Not sure why they phoned that figure in when it's clear they CAN make a good Triceratops.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: