News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

avatar_CityRaptor @CityRaptor It's like they took those awful JWE mods (that crappy videos and apps use for their images) and thought it would be a good idea to make a figure of it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Lynx

If it wasn't Spider-Man colored that's a pretty darn good rex model
An oversized house cat.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Eatmycar on January 21, 2023, 05:08:45 PMAnd miss me with that "Hasbro would've done better" nonsense. Hasbro cheapened out as much as they could to the point they had bullet hole screws on the side. Sure, their Croc Master crocodile is gorgeous, but that's their own IP. They're not going to cheapen GI Joe. Jurassic is the IP the owners don't care about, it doesn't matter.

It's been 7 years since Hasbro lost the license. People have repressed the horrors that company put out
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Takama

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on January 21, 2023, 08:12:00 PM

Welp  My Vision for the Hammond Collection went out the window,

EXAUAST ALL FILM SPECIES before Branching out ::)

At least we got a, Corythosaurus

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Eatmycar on January 21, 2023, 05:08:45 PMIt also doesn't help that mattel keeps putting massive, shelf-warming sauropods out every year and super colossal which eat the budget thanks to tooling and paint costs.

They have to make more different product to keep the line going, wha they should make though depends on a lot of factors.

I've only ever seen about 2 of those big sauropods at a time and maybe 4 SC figures at once? They seem to sell alright. The medium size figures I see pegs full of say the Icthyovenator? and Triceratops or ankylosaurus.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Collect Jurassic did update their page, looks like we may be getting a larger Triceratops?  The camo Indominus sounds cool too.

Quotehttps://www.collectjurassic.com/jurassic-world-dino-trackers-2023-toy-checklist-where-to-buy-hd-gallery/

HABITAT DEFENDER TRICERATOPS
CAMOUFLAGE 'N BATTLE INDOMINUS REX

Few more new things listed, no new pics though.

andrewsaurus rex

the big sauropods have done very well in my area.   If they weren't selling I doubt Mattel would keep making them.  They have 2 more planned for 2023.

Pliosaurking

Hopefully this trike is at least the size of the Pentaceratops, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
I'm also interested to see how the Regailceratops turns out.
There are a few interesting species but I'm waiting till I see them to make any judgement.

Flaffy

Not really feeling this Pachycephalosaurus tbh.

The way Mattel handles jaw articulation on herbivores is just so ugly, unnatural and intrusive.

The arms feel rather oversized, not dissimilar to the AC Juvenile rex.

The colours and patternsare all over the place, even the original legacy Pachycephalosaurus has more a screen accurate paintjob than the premium collectors version. And really Mattel? Skimping out on tail paint again? ???

Faelrin

Wow that's like turned out even worse then the promo pics made it look (same with how I feel about the HC JPIII raptor). I mean the sculpt (poorly managed jaw articulation, and arms aside) isn't too bad, but it is really the bland inaccurate coloration that hurts it here. Granted I was already kind of disappointed from the start, since the pattern and coloration isn't close to screen accurate, but yeah another skip for me. Glad I got the Legacy one ages back, even if its stability is pretty bad, and while the pattern also isn't the best match it's coloration is more accurate, and its just more aesthetically pleasing then how they handled this one.

And from the batch of upcoming things the only one that might interest me is the Corythosaurus, if only because it's the last of the pre-Dominion species (alongside the Mamenchisaurus coming out this year), that still don't have a single figure. After the Parasaurolophus, and most stuff from this line, my expectations for it are pretty low at this point in time.

In any case I'll get the thread updated with this info dump.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Galaxy

Hammond Collection Juvenile Stegosaurus Teaser
Spoiler
[close]

MLMjp

Such a big info dump.

We are finally getting Corythosaurus, it only took 22 years...Honestly they could just take the Para, change it's head and repaint it and I will be perfectly ok with that. I mean, that´s exactly what the film did with the CGI model.

I´m interested in the Nigersaurus and I´m glad to see Irritator back on the mainline since I missed on the first one. There are rumors that the Hammond Collection one will be based on the website Baryonyx, but if I'm going to get a non movie dinosaur from the HC that will be the Metriacanthosaurus, as I'm 99% it will be based on the website/JWE design and I'm a sucker for that design.

How exactly did Mattel find out the existence of Orkoraptor? I didn't know that genus even existed! Nobody in this planet does! Not even the paleontologists who described it! Meanwhile...Acrocanthosaurus is crying in a corner. Seriously, who choses the species they make?! We could have Acrocanthosaurus, Deinonychus, Utahraptor, Oviraptor, Microceratus, Centrosaurus, Chasmosaurus, Dryosaurus, Euoplocephalus, Lambeosaurus, Maiasaura, Coelophysis, Yutyrannus...

Habitat Defender Triceratops is expected to be a large figure. I should be excited but...it will most likely be the JW design again, and after the HC Triceratops, I just want the JP Triceratops design in a larger scale. Unless they surprise us...The good thing is that larger figures get the better paint jobs so at least it should look good.

Now, we were talking about the downfall of Mattel before this news took over. Now, the thing is, they are still capable of making good figures, just look at the Kronosaurus, figures like Diablo, Drypto and Sinotyranus are still pretty decent albeit stylized. They still have a touch. And I get they are probably trying to save cost by using the minimal paint possible, but damn, sometimes it seem they don't even try to apply it in a creative way to hide it.

And I still don't get why some of their figures still turn out so goofy, not even goofy with a charm, like their Suchomimus or Cryolophosaurus. They had the license for 5 years, they had plenty of time to improve their sculpting abilities.

And then you have the epic damage assortment...Instead of wasting money of these barely painted ugly figures with cheap light-up gimmick and speaker holes on the side...Just dont make this line and save the budget to improve on other figures...Maybe they should reduce the quantity of figures they pull out. Less is more.

They are still capable, even taking cutting cost measures they could still bring out good stuff, but they are lazy. It´s not hasbro 2015 levels, but sometimes is worse than hasbro 2001 levels...

PD: I´m relived that the teaser looks like the baby Stego, I was scared we were going to get an undersized adult since Collect Jurassic listed it in the medium sized range. Now if we could get a parent...

Nyrorosaurus

Quote from: Galaxy on January 22, 2023, 07:14:30 PMHammond Collection Juvenile Stegosaurus Teaser
Spoiler
[close]
Hey, looks like the jaw actually articulates in the right place

Giganotosaurus

I'm glad we are finally getting a bigger Triceratops! Was the Sinoceratops figure undersized also? I've received different replies on that.
Mosasurus on Jurassic Mainframe and JPToys
Angurius on TohoKingdom

I love all the Jurassic movies, plus Disney's Dinosaur

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Giganotosaurus on January 22, 2023, 11:49:49 PMI'm glad we are finally getting a bigger Triceratops! Was the Sinoceratops figure undersized also? I've received different replies on that.

It's close I think judging by the scene where Owen gets licked? Of course the size could change by scene.

Eatmycar

Regarding Irritator and Metriacanthosaurus...

Toy lines do this all the time. They put in filler characters to extend the line. No toy line is going to just release all of its headliners before getting into weird blink-if-you-miss-it D characters to avoid collectors from bowing out once they get all of the big players.

That's probably why they're doing these animals.

Also, for that size range, there ISN'T much in the films left before we dip into repaints. It's natural that they're going to throw in filler animals to prolong the life of this line.

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 21, 2023, 09:11:55 PM
Quote from: Eatmycar on January 21, 2023, 05:08:45 PMAnd miss me with that "Hasbro would've done better" nonsense. Hasbro cheapened out as much as they could to the point they had bullet hole screws on the side. Sure, their Croc Master crocodile is gorgeous, but that's their own IP. They're not going to cheapen GI Joe. Jurassic is the IP the owners don't care about, it doesn't matter.

It's been 7 years since Hasbro lost the license. People have repressed the horrors that company put out

Absolutely. A lot of people forget how abysmal Hasbro was. Jurassic would never get the same treatment GI Joe gets, but the grass is always greener, I guess...

SpartanSquat

From what I heard from a trustfull source is Irritator will look more like this.

Metria doesnt look like wesbite ones.

Lynx

Quote from: RolandEden on January 23, 2023, 03:21:13 PMFrom what I heard from a trustfull source is Irritator will look more like this.

Metria doesnt look like wesbite ones.

why would it look like the Dino King irritator... when there's already a figure from Mattel that is an irritator.
An oversized house cat.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: