News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

TNG Prehistoric Figures (Unending Tedium)

Started by Loon, January 28, 2023, 03:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Look at the details of each sculpt. They aren't ripps because all of the details are different. They are clearly shamelessly based on other products, but they are not ripping the molds.

Fembrogon

To my understanding, a "bootleg" specifically refers to fraudulent items, ie, things sold/marketed as the original, legitimate item when they are not.
A "knockoff", meanwhile, can refer to a much wider range of items, which in general are obviously imitating an original product, but tweaking it just enough to sell as "unique" - legally safe, but ethically questionable.
These TNG products are definitely knockoffs, in the same veins as Papo, Mojo, and going all the way back to MPC. Some of these figures are more liberal then others in derivation, but there's no question that all of them are imitating other people's work.

Now, if it's true that the original modelers behind the labels are involved, that changes things in those cases. I'd love to know more about this situation, as that would actively encourage me to buy those figures after all.

Lynx

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 28, 2023, 09:42:31 PMLook at the details of each sculpt. They aren't ripps because all of the details are different. They are clearly shamelessly based on other products, but they are not ripping the molds.

I'm looking at some off the mammals and the Cryolophosaurus, the sculpt seems to be the same with differences around the head.

I too would like to know more about TNG. I'm more than interested the Spinosaurus model from them, but last time I asked I was told it was a bootleg from PNSO
An oversized house cat.

SidB

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 28, 2023, 09:42:31 PMLook at the details of each sculpt. They aren't ripps because all of the details are different. They are clearly shamelessly based on other products, but they are not ripping the molds.
I think that this observation and the post from A @Andysdinosaurreviews that states that he is pursuing more information about the movement of an artist from one company to the other bears keeping in mind. Clearly property rights as weighed in China differ from some of the western standards and may allow artists to aggressively re-issue/ re-interpret their own work in the employ of another company or a new company of their own. If this proves to be the case, it will color the status of some or all of these TNG sculpts, perhaps more positively. Of course, they may not all fit under the same umbrella.

Chasmosaurus

I bought the stegodon I can make pictures tomorrow if you want
Man is only interested in what he invents while what surrounds him is made in a much more extraordinary and complex way

SidB

Quote from: Chasmosaurus on January 28, 2023, 11:03:41 PMI bought the stegodon I can make pictures tomorrow if you want
That would be good - could you include a shot of the ventral part showing the CE stamp please, avatar_Chasmosaurus @Chasmosaurus ?

RobinGoodfellow

..judging from TNG items, it doesn't seem the start of a brand new original company: a Kong vs Godzilla "inspired" figure, a raptor from JW, two direct copies from M-see resins, a knock-off from GR-Toys ( originally designed by Musee), an "inspiration" from Dinone Studio, an Aparicio/Sean Cooper derived mammal, a recasted PNSO, random figures with Mojo/Papo/Schleich/PNSO  flavors..
And retail prices are quite low (from 18 Euro to 38 Euro, shipping included).
In China everything is possible but looking at the signs...  ???
It seems to me that they have a strong re-tooling/ re-casting team.

_

( p.s English isn't my main language so I believed that "bootleg" and "knock-off" was the same but it's not: "knock-off" is more correct )

Sim

This company's "start" doesn't appear much different to Papo's.  Papo started by copying lots of pop culture, mostly Jurassic Park, representations.  The Elasmotherium and Megacerops are definitely the same sculpt as the resin versions shown in this thread but I don't think there's anything wrong with that if the sculptor of those pieces has allowed it, which as far as we know is the case.

As has been pointed out the rest of the figures appear to be original, there are strong similarities to other figures but it appears to just be copying poses, which has happened before e.g. Hasbro copying the Papo Ankylosaurus's pose for their version of the animal.  Some of the TNG figures appear entirely original, e.g. the Tyrannosaurus, Carnotaurus, Giganotosaurus and Spinosaurus.  I don't agree that the Spinosaurus is a bootleg of PNSO, it looks completely different to PNSO's Spinosaurus figures.

Personally I'm very interested in the TNG Cryolophosaurus and Tyrannosaurus, they both look very good.  I found them on AliExpress, but it says they are available for pre-order only with shipping within 45 days...

I have to say I hate JW Velociraptor, it's disappointing this company made two of them instead of the real animal (yes, two, they are both on AliExpress).

Stegotyranno420

Atleast Papo made original sculptures, had amazing high quality detail, and eventually developed a unique style, no?

Sim

Well, TNG's sculptures are original too, excluding the two mammals which were allowed to be made by their sculptor.  And Papo's rearing Tyrannosaurus is like the TNGs that copy poses, as it copies a scene from Jurassic Park.  Papo's detail is overrated IMO, it's not that great.  Finally Papo's unique style is bad poses, isn't it?  Not something worth praising.  TNG seems to just be starting so maybe they too will develop a unique style?  Or maybe they already have it and it's not great but a few of their figures are in my opinion.

Lynx

If the Spinosaurus is indeed their own work, I'll be picking it up. I desperately need a good spinosaurus with an active pose.
An oversized house cat.

Lynx

Quote from: Sim on January 29, 2023, 05:44:37 PMWell, TNG's sculptures are original too, excluding the two mammals which were allowed to be made by their sculptor.  And Papo's rearing Tyrannosaurus is like the TNGs that copy poses, as it copies a scene from Jurassic Park.  Papo's detail is overrated IMO, it's not that great.  Finally Papo's unique style is bad poses, isn't it?  Not something worth praising.  TNG seems to just be starting so maybe they too will develop a unique style?  Or maybe they already have it and it's not great but a few of their figures are in my opinion.

Do you have an actual source that tells us they were given permission by the sculptor to mass produce their art?
An oversized house cat.

Sim

The post by A @Andysdinosaurreviews on the previous page mentions that the original sculptor of the Megacerops and Elasmotherium released the models of them for TNG.

Looking at the Spinosaurus again I see a resemblance in the mouth to the PNSO version, but there's only so many ways to make the mouth of the same animal...

For those interested, below are all the TNG figures I've been able to find:

Carnotaurus
  Cryolophosaurus
  Elasmotherium
  Giganotosaurus
  Mammuthus primigenius
  Megacerops
  Parasaurolophus
  Quetzalcoatlus
  Smilodon
  Spinosaurus
  Stegodon
  Tyrannosaurus rex
  Velociraptor (1)
  Velociraptor (2)

There are a few more that were seen in a photo but I haven't been able to find them online.  They are: Plesiosaurus, Oviraptor, blue Parasaurolophus(?), Ankylosaurus, Triceratops, Allosaurus(?), Therizinosaurus(?) and an unidentified theropod.  Please share if you find them available online!

Fenestra

Quote from: Sim on January 29, 2023, 04:53:57 PM...  I don't agree that the Spinosaurus is a bootleg of PNSO, it looks completely different to PNSO's Spinosaurus figures...

First thing I thought was that it looked like the GR toys Spinosaurus with a PNSO head.

Sim

I've decided that I want to get the TNG Cryolophosaurus and Quetzalcoatlus.  The Cryolophosaurus because I've been wanting a good, feathered Cryolophosaurus for a long time!  The Quetzalcoatlus because it looks good.  I also considered the Tyrannosaurus as I like the figure, but it's around 1:40 scale so I think it would be too small compared to my mostly 1:35 collection which includes other tyrannosauroids.  The Quetzalcoatlus is around 1:30 scale, while the Cryolophosaurus and Parasaurolophus are around 1:40 scale.  The scale of the Cryolophosaurus is fine for me as I don't think it would look odd next to my other figures.

Baryonyx

I reckon the Cryolophosaurus' head is based on Schleich's, stuck onto the pnso yutyrannus as already noted

Sim

I don't see any reason to think the Cryolophosaurus's head is based on Schleich's.  It seems more likely they both used the same source to make the head: a Cryolophosaurus's skull.  Comparing the Cryolophosaurus to the PNSO Yutyrannus, it can be seen that the Cryo's hindlimbs are thicker, its hand claws are shorter and its torso is shorter.  So its postcrania isn't the same as the PNSO Yutyrannus.

Chasmosaurus

good evening.

as promised the photos of the stegodon that will allow everyone to make his opinion.
I do not know if it is a knock-off or not. But I really like this figurine.

20230129_114036 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr
20230129_114049 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr
20230129_114055 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr
20230129_114101 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr
20230129_114148 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr
20230129_114158 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr
20230129_114212 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr
20230129_114227 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr
20230129_114249 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr
20230129_114546 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr
20230129_114558 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr
20230129_114607 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr
20230129_114612 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr
20230129_114621 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr
20230129_114635 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr
20230129_114626 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr
20230129_114719 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr
20230129_114732 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr
20230129_114801 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr
20230129_114811 by Chasmosaurus  R, sur Flickr

If it seems relevant I can try to make a review of this figure. If avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum  allows it of course.
Man is only interested in what he invents while what surrounds him is made in a much more extraordinary and complex way

Fembrogon

It does look quite excellent - even if that excellence was ripped off of another artist.
I'm very, very curious to hear more about the origins of the models if more information comes to light.

Quote from: Chasmosaurus on January 29, 2023, 10:55:03 PMIf it seems relevant I can try to make a review of this figure. If avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum allows it of course.
I would think it's safe for reviewing; it's hardly the first time a knockoff toy has been covered on the Blog. In fact, I'd say this is precisely the sort of context the Toy Blog is a valuable resource for: providing solid reference and background information on new & unusual toys for the wayfaring internet collector to judge from.

SidB

Very good, avatar_Chasmosaurus @Chasmosaurus , you sure covered every aspect of this figure. It is a beautiful piece, no doubt. Thanks for including a view of the CE stamp, obviously important, unless one believes that it is a fake. Given the advertising exposure of the TNG brand, which seems to be expanding, with all of the scrutiny which that implies, I'd speculate that it is legitimate.

The price is extremely attractive, to say the least, in as far as it is only a fraction of that of the resin original, which was destined for a very specialized portion of the collector market comprised of fortunate individuals of considerable financial means. This economical PVC item will make the Stegodon accessible to the "masses", to "ordinary" collectors, ethical considerations aside for the moment.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: