News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd 2023 Wishlist

Started by profnik, August 30, 2022, 03:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpartanSquat

I hope beside new figures like a corythosaurus, torvosaurus, plateosaurus, 2020 dilophosaurus look, I want some rereleases like inostrancevia or retired ceratopsians
EDIT:
The snout looks very majungasaurus

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

A collector I know that Safari asked to help with the reveals hinted that one of the models this year will be a very common and/or well-known species that has gone strangely neglected in the toy world...

I'm salivating at the possibilities! Could they finally have made the Centrosaurus or Saurolophus I've been wishing for?

Lynx

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on January 30, 2023, 03:43:34 AMA collector I know that Safari asked to help with the reveals hinted that one of the models this year will be a very common and/or well-known species that has gone strangely neglected in the toy world...

I'm salivating at the possibilities! Could they finally have made the Centrosaurus or Saurolophus I've been wishing for?

Betting on Utahraptor. It has barely any figures, and none that are good or even close to the animal. It's an incredibly popular species. + it's been on wishlists since the dawn of time.

The other possibility IMO is deinosuchus. Once again, very popular and had 0 good representations until REBORs recent release, and it would be unfortunate if they released a deinosuchus right after a model many people have bought.
An oversized house cat.

Quote from: Lynx on January 30, 2023, 04:17:15 AM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on January 30, 2023, 03:43:34 AMA collector I know that Safari asked to help with the reveals hinted that one of the models this year will be a very common and/or well-known species that has gone strangely neglected in the toy world...

Betting on Utahraptor. It has barely any figures, and none that are good or even close to the animal. It's an incredibly popular species. + it's been on wishlists since the dawn of time.

The other possibility IMO is deinosuchus. Once again, very popular and had 0 good representations until REBORs recent release, and it would be unfortunate if they released a deinosuchus right after a model many people have bought.

OMG yes! An updated Utahraptor would be to die for! Especially if it were the same scale as their old one.
There's also the Carnegie Deinosuchus... I know the head is outdated, but I'm fond of it.

Sim

Utahraptor, Centrosaurus or Saurolophus all sound great to me!  I don't like the PNSO Centrosaurus or Favorite Saurolophus and I'd like a non-articulated Utahraptor even if I have an articulated one.  Another possibility for the species is Ouranosaurus...

Duna

Tenontosaurus, hypsilophodon, heterodontosaurus, scelidosaurus ....

DragonRider02

Maybe we'll finally get a Pterodactylus figure

Pachyrhinosaurus

Pterodactylus makes the most sense to me based on the hint. But if it's utahraptor, it would be cool if it references the original WS figure in colors or pose.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Lynx

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on January 30, 2023, 04:41:21 PMPterodactylus makes the most sense to me based on the hint. But if it's utahraptor, it would be cool if it references the original WS figure in colors or pose.

Definitely, I love it when figures reference older ones from a company like Carnegie did with the Velociraptor. The colors seem unlikely to be completely reused as they like to use real birds for feathered dinos, but the pose is a very possible reference!
An oversized house cat.

Sim

I would prefer a new Utahraptor figure didn't reference the old Safari version.  I don't like it when a colouration is copied without regard for the integument being different.  And the pose of the old Safari Utahraptor is unpleasant and wouldn't make sense for an accurate Utahraptor with its short arms.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Lynx on January 30, 2023, 04:50:45 PMDefinitely, I love it when figures reference older ones from a company like Carnegie did with the Velociraptor. The colors seem unlikely to be completely reused as they like to use real birds for feathered dinos, but the pose is a very possible reference!

Yeah, I was thinking something more in-line with the markings on a burrowing owl than a tiger.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Sim

Another possibility for the species is Rhamphorhynchus.  That is my most wanted figure from Safari...  With all the possible choices, it would be good if none of the new figures were species known from poor remains.

Baryonyx

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Baryonyx on January 30, 2023, 10:54:09 PMCorythosaurus!

I would love it if it is this one or Maiasaura

Sim

I was just going to say Maiasaura could be another possibility.  You beat me to it avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M.! :)  Other possibilities for the species could be Herrerasaurus, Plateosaurus or Postosuchus...

I'm surprised it's taking so long for a good Plateosaurus.  Does Safari not think an accurate version could sell better than the underwhelming Carnegie and CollectA versions, the latter being still in production?  I'm also surprised Wild Past prioritised Scutosaurus over Plateosaurus, I think there's not much demand for a Scutosaurus otherwise Safari wouldn't have retired theirs.  Plateosaurus on the other hand is the most frequently requested species on this forum.

Lynx

Quote from: Sim on January 31, 2023, 07:00:27 PMI was just going to say Maiasaura could be another possibility.  You beat me to it avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M.! :)  Other possibilities for the species could be Herrerasaurus, Plateosaurus or Postosuchus...

I'm surprised it's taking so long for a good Plateosaurus.  Does Safari not think an accurate version could sell better than the underwhelming Carnegie and CollectA versions, the latter being still in production?  I'm also surprised Wild Past prioritised Scutosaurus over Plateosaurus, I think there's not much demand for a Scutosaurus otherwise Safari wouldn't have retired theirs.  Plateosaurus on the other hand is the most frequently requested species on this forum.

The only reason I could think of is Plaetosaurus probably wouldn't sell well, that or they just haven't gotten around to it. Think about it. Plateosaurus isn't big, it doesn't have armor, a gigantic tail, or massive teeth. It doesn't have plates, spikes, or massive claws. It's this strange creature. Hadrosaurs already don't sell as well as carnivores (at least if it isn't edmontosaurus or iguanodon), combine that with a creature many people aren't familiar with or don't remember very well, and you have something that doesn't sell.

(For future reference, I am not saying I don't want a Plateosaurus, just why there isn't a good one yet)
An oversized house cat.

Sim

Er, I hope I don't come across as unpleasant when I say...  Safari had a Plateosaurus in the Carnegie Collection for many years, and CollectA still has one in their line, so it must sell well enough, at least that's the impression I get.  Plus... Plateosaurus could reach 10 metres in length, so it could be big.  It did have a gigantic tail and massive claws, just look at Scott Hartman's skeletal of Plateosaurus below.

(Image source)

Looking at the skeletal above, I'm struck by how no-one has made a Plateosaurus figure that embodies how unique, interesting and powerful this animal was.  I think children would love to have a Plateosaurus toy that has the features of the above skeletal and would have lots of fun with it.  I certainly would've.

Another thing that strikes me is the completeness of the Plateosaurus specimen showed in the above skeletal.  It more than deserves to be made into a good figure.  Plateosaurus is known about by a lot of people as it's the most often shown Triassic animal and I think it's the most popular Triassic animal too.  If other Triassic species get made into good toys, then Plateosaurus can be too, not that it needs this as a reason.

Quote from: Sim on January 30, 2023, 09:45:56 PMAnother possibility for the species is Rhamphorhynchus.  That is my most wanted figure from Safari...  With all the possible choices, it would be good if none of the new figures were species known from poor remains.

Did you miss this one avatar_Sim @Sim ?

https://www.safariltd.com/products/wild-safari-prehistoric-world-rhamphorhynchus-figurines-300329

Flaffy

I dare say the Mattel Rhamphorhynchus is superior to Safari's verison.

An updated figure of this famous genus is long overdue.

Sim

Thanks avatar_Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) @Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews).  I know of that Rhamphorhynchus figure, it's too outdated for me.  The most obvious inaccuracy is that it lacks pycnofibers or feathers, for some reason.  It also lacks a beak, which in Rhamphorhynchus extended as a point from the toothless tips of the jaws, a membrane between the legs is also missing, and the tail crest are okay but the form seen in the Safari figure are the juvenile shape, adult Rhamphorhynchus had differently shaped tail crests.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: