You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kaijus - post your collection here

Started by sauroid, January 11, 2016, 08:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on January 16, 2023, 05:30:43 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 16, 2023, 04:42:12 AMVery rough prototype but she has to be 3' tall at least.

Probably be what, $3k retail?  :o

I'm not sure, the next big one they are doing is Ghidorah, currently standing at 76.5cm / 30in tall to the top of the head with a wing span of 156cm / 61in. The height of the wings is 120cm / 47in.

some people guessed it would be over 2k and the sculptor said no it would be closer to Furious Blue which was just around 1k.  no idea how they will pull it off but its pretty cool

Loon

A couple of weeks ago I saw a video covering Spiral Studios' gorgeous burning Godzilla statue and something in me just snapped. Even if KOTM as a whole is a bit iffy, I love that scene and decided I wanted to replicate it.

I got this really horribly painted MMS bootleg off AliExpress for about $3 shipped and removed all the paint using thinner.

The entire thing was molded in red and that worked great for me because I wanted to stuff it will LEDs to recreates the nuclear glow between his scales.

I think the final paint job, while far from professional and a bit blobby in some spots, turned out decent. It also come out a lot cheaper than having to buy any of the older burning Godzilla figures from a few years ago.

I initially wanted to add flaming Mothra wings like the statue, but have yet to come up with a good way to make those. Maybe I'll update this later and add those, but for now, I'm pretty happy with it.

The LEDs won't show up well under direct light, but they're stunning in the dark.

I made sure to have a lot of lights under the dorsal plates.

I also cut out the eyes and stuffed the head full of LEDs to make his eyes glow and distinguish them more from the rest of the glowing parts.

Here's a look at my sketchy lighting set-up. Since it's still soft vinyl, I was able to stick the fairy lights in almost every major extremity.

Eocarcharia

avatar_Loon @Loon That looks great! Looks really close to the Neca figure, and even better with the lights! Just a shame the light doesn't really reach his hands; it kinda makes him look like a reverse-Gamera 1999.

Blade-of-the-Moon

That looks great! I've been tempted to stuff some lights in my more expensive pieces but I just can't bring myself to try it.

Loon

avatar_Eocarcharia @Eocarcharia I did think about the NECA figure a lot when painting it. I think it is the most aesthetically appealing out of all the figures released when the film came out. The hands are basically solid, unfortunately, I'm guessing that has something to do with the way the figure is molded.

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Thank you! I can understand why you'd be cautious; I bet LEDs can really damage a model.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Loon on January 17, 2023, 03:09:47 AMavatar_Eocarcharia @Eocarcharia I did think about the NECA figure a lot when painting it. I think it is the most aesthetically appealing out of all the figures released when the film came out. The hands are basically solid, unfortunately, I'm guessing that has something to do with the way the figure is molded.

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Thank you! I can understand why you'd be cautious; I bet LEDs can really damage a model.

The only way i can see doing the hands is just casting those and molding some new ones? some clear acrylic with red tint maybe.

I've seen a lot of people do them but you have to drill holes and wire so many in it, I'm not sure heat would bother  it being leds but it sounds like a lot of " you need to know what your doing " and I don't lol

Loon

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Yeah. That sounds like a lot more effort for little improvement, so I'll leave it as is. That's true, I guess maybe warping is a bit much, but I think discoloration might be a more likely issue, maybe?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Loon on January 17, 2023, 04:11:38 AMavatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Yeah. That sounds like a lot more effort for little improvement, so I'll leave it as is. That's true, I guess maybe warping is a bit much, but I think discoloration might be a more likely issue, maybe?

That's possible though I haven't seen anyone mention it.

Another thought, have you considered adding sound?

Blade-of-the-Moon

We have another new pic from OBS :

Remember Furious Blue Godzilla there is almost 22" tall.

Fembrogon

Quote from: Eocarcharia on January 15, 2023, 01:18:48 AMp.s. - Did anyone else catch Shin Ultraman in the theater?
I forgot to respond to this, but yes, I did see it! I liked it a lot, and I look forward to seeing it again on home video.
In fact, I've been in a bit extra of an Ultra mood since then, so I treated myself to an S.H. Figuarts Ultraman Belial at a small discount:

I own less than a handful of Figuarts, all of them Ultra characters; and it's been long enough since the last time I bought one that they're all in storage now. Belial is very cool, though; he's one of my favorite Ultra being designs and this action figure definitely does him justice.

Good monster Gomora looks like he's out of his league...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Paleo Flo

Despite I love "Shin Godzilla" I will stay with my Xplus one.
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Paleo Flo on February 11, 2023, 06:13:14 AMDespite I love "Shin Godzilla" I will stay with my Xplus one.

The XPLUS is epic no doubt, i have it, but this has the darker look I like. It's also the first time you see him in this form coming ashore. If I get this one it will be my last Shin I ever buy. I just don't have room lol and I would like other GIgantic size kaiju.

Paleo Flo

This is my personal one & only SHIN:

Back then in 2018 I travelled to Tokyo and visited the locations of "Shin Godzilla".

Travelzilla on location

The Cape

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's awesome!  I doubt I'll ever get to travel that far.

My XPLUS Shin is the new more red Gigantic.

Paleo Flo

Thanks a lot. It was an amazing journey.

The Gigantic Shin...wow...what a beast!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Paleo Flo on February 13, 2023, 05:47:14 AMThanks a lot. It was an amazing journey.

The Gigantic Shin...wow...what a beast!

It is that! Keeps one from collecting too many..at least in theory. lol  ;D

Spiral Studio announced this not long after Omega Beast Studios did the same..though it's just a teaser so far on their end.

A new Destroyah figure was also shown recently, it's big as any Gigantic Godzilla but is not Gigantic scaled

Paleo Flo

Cool Destoroyah. But I'm not collecting Xplus anymore. I stay with Bandais monster movie series in a random way.

DragonRider02

I just scored Battle Damaged Neca Knifehead for around 70$. I am really happy to finally have a figure of something from my favourite movie.

Fembrogon

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: