News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 17, 2023, 02:27:48 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on February 16, 2023, 05:51:09 PMOr like a barrel of monkies. Maybe make it look like a dino transport crate.

I actually have a cage of Raptors toy they was released for The Lost World, just like the Barrel of Monkeys lol

That would be great, you could have the swarm a Brachiosaurus lol  Actually now  I kinda think that should have been a plot point, swarms of compies with unrestricted breeding on the mainland.

Should have used compies instead of locusts.  ::)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on February 17, 2023, 02:49:36 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on February 16, 2023, 05:51:09 PMOr like a barrel of monkies. Maybe make it look like a dino transport crate.

I actually have a cage of Raptors toy they was released for The Lost World, just like the Barrel of Monkeys lol

That would be great, you could have the swarm a Brachiosaurus lol  Actually now  I kinda think that should have been a plot point, swarms of compies with unrestricted breeding on the mainland.

Exactly.  I get what they were trying to do it was very much something that might have been mentioned in the novel..but not a plot point.   I think they forgot they were in the business of selling DINOSAUR toys..not insect toys ( which are cool but not as cool as dinosaurs  ;D  ) .  Where is our giant prehistoric locust figure anyway?

BlueKrono

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 17, 2023, 02:53:58 AM

Exactly.  I get what they were trying to do it was very much something that might have been mentioned in the novel..but not a plot point.  I think they forgot they were in the business of selling DINOSAUR toys..not insect toys ( which are cool but not as cool as dinosaurs  ;D  ) .  Where is our giant prehistoric locust figure anyway?

I'm sure Prime 1 will release a 1:1 scale one. It will cost $1,600. 
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 17, 2023, 03:22:57 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 17, 2023, 02:53:58 AM

Exactly.  I get what they were trying to do it was very much something that might have been mentioned in the novel..but not a plot point.  I think they forgot they were in the business of selling DINOSAUR toys..not insect toys ( which are cool but not as cool as dinosaurs  ;D  ) .  Where is our giant prehistoric locust figure anyway?

I'm sure Prime 1 will release a 1:1 scale one. It will cost $1,600. 

and yet..still not tempted. lol

ItsTwentyBelow

That's a great article covering the '93 tributes.

I recognized the photo of the Dilophosaurus posed attacking a fleeing Dr. Malcolm as a direct reference to the art on the trading card that was included with the original 'Spitter' Dilo figure in 1993, illustrated by Brian Franczak.

I'm impressed, Mattel is doing a great job with the 30th Anniversary stuff.

Flaffy

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on February 17, 2023, 04:50:48 AMI'm impressed, Mattel is doing a great job with the 30th Anniversary stuff.

Indeed. If only the centre-piece of the collection (real feel rex) was up to par with the rest of the hype. :-[

ItsTwentyBelow

Quote from: Flaffy on February 17, 2023, 11:17:00 AMIndeed. If only the centre-piece of the collection (real feel rex) was up to par with the rest of the hype. :-[

Huh? I think this opinion may be shared by the minority. The new red rex is an awesome tribute. As someone who owns an old beat-up red Kenner T.rex and Bull T. rex, I can really appreciate how Mattel have combined features of those two figures into this 30th anniversary rendition. I mean, it even has the real feel skin! And I think the sculpt is overall better and less spindly looking than the original.

From Mattel, I just have two versions of the Extreme Chompin T. rex in my collection, and thus have not already swamped myself with the twenty other rexes that have already come out (because I think T. rex is very over-done), so I might buy this new red version as my fuller-sized Mattel rex. Plus, it can gobble up compies and these new dino hatchlings. Maybe even the Lystrosaurus or Beta? Fun stuff.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on February 17, 2023, 02:56:43 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on February 17, 2023, 11:17:00 AMIndeed. If only the centre-piece of the collection (real feel rex) was up to par with the rest of the hype. :-[

Huh? I think this opinion may be shared by the minority. The new red rex is an awesome tribute. As someone who owns an old beat-up red Kenner T.rex and Bull T. rex, I can really appreciate how Mattel have combined features of those two figures into this 30th anniversary rendition. I mean, it even has the real feel skin! And I think the sculpt is overall better and less spindly looking than the original.

From Mattel, I just have two versions of the Extreme Chompin T. rex in my collection, and thus have not already swamped myself with the twenty other rexes that have already come out (because I think T. rex is very over-done), so I might buy this new red version as my fuller-sized Mattel rex. Plus, it can gobble up compies and these new dino hatchlings. Maybe even the Lystrosaurus or Beta? Fun stuff.

I've seen a lot of fans complaining about it on facebook..but it's what they do, everyone is a product reviewer with an opinion and negative ones get more attention.  There is also a lot of them upset over international distribution.

I would have loved a new sculpt but it's a Mattel Rex, mine probably will never leave the package as it looks cool with it. I'm thinking the real feel feature will be like the mosasaur, a sort of vinyl but not to the level of Kenner.  I'm not sure how I feel about this combining lines, like Kenner JP and LW as I would like a full LW throwback line too.

I've sold almost all of my past Rexes, just two now. The HC and the Stomp and Chomp I think..I get confused when they are out of box lol

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 17, 2023, 03:21:00 PM
Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on February 17, 2023, 02:56:43 PM

I've seen a lot of fans complaining about it on facebook..but it's what they do, everyone is a product reviewer with an opinion and negative ones get more attention.  There is also a lot of them upset over international distribution.

I would have loved a new sculpt but it's a Mattel Rex, mine probably will never leave the package as it looks cool with it. I'm thinking the real feel feature will be like the mosasaur, a sort of vinyl but not to the level of Kenner.  I'm not sure how I feel about this combining lines, like Kenner JP and LW as I would like a full LW throwback line too.

I've sold almost all of my past Rexes, just two now. The HC and the Stomp and Chomp I think..I get confused when they are out of box lol

You must be in the same groups that I'm in. I got in a lengthy argument with someone over their negative reaction to this T. rex. Their problem with it? Reusing the Colossal mold instead of a better one or making a completely new one.  ::) The thing has the rubber skin, Kenner paint app, retro packaging, makes sounds, and the gulper action feature and people still find reasons to complain. Even if it is not Mattel's best T. rex mold (looks fine to me) it's still a great mold. None of the Mattel rex figures have been objectively bad.

I still don't know if I'll get it. Right now I'm saying no. I swore off Mattel T. rex figures when I got the HC one. In addition, I also have the Epic Roarin', the original Colossal, and the one that came with the Explorer (which I gave to my daughter). But... this retro rex would look killer displayed in its box. We'll see...

Flaffy

The real feel rex isn't bad per se, it's just underwhelming.

I've said this before, but I really wish they made a new sculpt for it, rather than recycle the same tired rex mold for the millionth time.

Lynx

I mean, they did make it real feel, added a slit in the belly just like the Kenner rex, added packaging just like the original, were faithful to the colors, added sound and an action feature, AND used one of the best rex molds for it.

This isn't underwhelming at all.
An oversized house cat.

Gwangi

If it can be said to be underwhelming it's only because Mattel has made so many T. rexes. And I bet a bunch of collectors have A LOT of them. Having only a few I find it perfectly acceptable. Frankly, I'm amazed that Mattel is doing these retro toys at all. I never thought I would see the day.

Gosh, if Mattel releases this one AND a HC Bull I might end up spending $100 on T. rex toys less that a year after I swore off of them.  ::)

Flaffy

Quote from: Lynx on February 17, 2023, 05:59:00 PMI mean, they did make it real feel, added a slit in the belly just like the Kenner rex, added packaging just like the original, were faithful to the colors, added sound and an action feature, AND used one of the best rex molds for it.

No matter how you spin it, it's still the same JW design mold. Clown feet, dodgy proportions and all. Very cool features brought "down" by an underwhelming sculpt. Moreover, it's competing with the gold standard Hammond Collection Tyrannosaurus at it's whopping $50 asking price.

Plus whatever this is. ??? None of the previous rexes had this extension from the head, so not sure why it's present on the real feel version.

Lynx

Quote from: Flaffy on February 17, 2023, 06:43:47 PM
Quote from: Lynx on February 17, 2023, 05:59:00 PMI mean, they did make it real feel, added a slit in the belly just like the Kenner rex, added packaging just like the original, were faithful to the colors, added sound and an action feature, AND used one of the best rex molds for it.

No matter how you spin it, it's still the same JW design mold. Clown feet, dodgy proportions and all. Very cool features brought "down" by an underwhelming sculpt. Moreover, it's competing with the gold standard Hammond Collection Tyrannosaurus at it's whopping $50 asking price.

Plus whatever this is. ??? None of the previous rexes had this extension from the head, so not sure why it's present on the real feel version.

For the action feature, I would assume? The 50-dollar price is because of the whopping amount of features and likely the fact that it's supposed to be a special version. I don't really know what was expected of the sculpt. Wanting something hammond collection rex quality is a lot to ask. If you are hoping that much, I am not sure what to tell you. It's clear this is an action figure for children (while also for adults), and thus it needs to stand outside the box, so the off proportions make sense. Even if this was a new sculpt, the same problems would likely arise because of standing reasons.

The original Kenner rexes also had odd proportions, mainly Buck.

If your standards are that high, being underwhelmed is inevitable.
I'm not trying to invalidate your opinions, but am having trouble understanding this.
An oversized house cat.

Gwangi

I believe the $50 price tag is due in large part to all the features included. All the rexes suffer from the same proportional problems and if they made a completely new one that would only drive the price up further. This is meant to be a toy for kids that is also a collectable while being affordable. I imagine the niche of collectors that want something like this is rather small. Invest too much in it and Mattel has to charge more and probably wouldn't be able to make much of a profit. This is not a screen accurate T. rex with wide appeal, it's a toy mimicking another toy from 30 years ago.

Flaffy

Quote from: Lynx on February 17, 2023, 06:51:47 PMFor the action feature, I would assume? The 50-dollar price is because of the whopping amount of features and likely the fact that it's supposed to be a special version. I don't really know what was expected of the sculpt. Wanting something hammond collection rex quality is a lot to ask. If you are hoping that much, I am not sure what to tell you. It's clear this is an action figure for children (while also for adults), and thus it needs to stand outside the box, so the off proportions make sense. Even if this was a new sculpt, the same problems would likely arise because of standing reasons.

I don't see how wanting a sculpt based on the original JP design is too much to ask, since like you said, it's meant to be a special release. Doesn't even need to be HC Rex quality, just something that has the proportions of a younger healthier rexy, rather than the anorexic one in the World films. (I've already said this on Feb 15th)

Which was my original point all along. I am sick and tired of Mattel peddling the same JW design for however many years now, when they (as a multi-billion dollar corporation) absolutely has the resources to make a fresh new sculpt. Especially considering how many new throwaway filler species they add to the line, all with fresh new sculpts. Heck, even Herrerasaurus of all things got a new sculpt. So why not the most iconic species of the franchise?

Quoteso the off proportions make sense.
I don't see how the oversized head / undersized torso helps in any way with balance but sure. Moreover, need I remind you that clown feet are not neccesary for balance? I don't understand why people keep making excuses for Mattel when it's been proven time and time again that proportionate feet can work just as well.

I don't mind increasing feet size slightly (emphasis on slightly) to aid in balance, even our favourite companies like Safari and CollectA do it from time to time. But the way Mattel handles this is just not the way to go imo. Mattel bloats the feet up so much to the point it actively detracts from the sculpt.

Spoiler
[close]

QuoteThe original Kenner rexes also had odd proportions, mainly Buck.
Sure, but the OG Red Rex had perfectly fine proportions.

Flaffy

Quote from: Gwangi on February 17, 2023, 07:08:50 PMAll the rexes suffer from the same proportional problems and if they made a completely new one that would only drive the price up further.

If they have the resources to pump out 20 new filler species (i.e. 20 entirely new sculpts) every year, I don't see how making a new rex sculpt would be any different.

And if driving up costs were really a concern, then why would Mattel push out new molds for obscure non-cannon species like Irritator or Herrerasaurus? Surely a Tyrannosaurus would be a bigger seller than both of those combined.

Carnoking

I too would have preferred a new and more refined sculpt, especially in light of the updated and improved Herrerosaurus and Irritator. If that had been the case, I'd probably be a lot more excited for this figure rather than just, "oh yeah, that exists", and even though plenty of people will still defend it and Mattel as a whole, I think deep down we all would take a better product over an acceptable product.

That said, at the end of the day, I'm just glad it's not the extreme chomping rex mold again. Sure we've seen plenty variants of the super colossal figure up to this point (3?) but this is the first time getting that mold in the 1/18 scale IIRC, so there's still some novelty to it.

As far as the price tag goes, correct me if I'm wrong but haven't most of the electronic rexes been in the 40-45 dollar range over the years? I'm not surprised that everything in the line seems to be getting more expensive (sound strikes were what? 15 dollars and now are closing in on 20?) so 50 dollars for this seems pretty par for the course?

Eatmycar

I think these look stellar, frankly.

People said *for years* they wanted a repaint of the rex in the '93 colors, more retro repaints. Now it's still not good enough and it needs a remold? Seriously love how the goal posts move at times. Yes, I'd love a resculpt, but for what this is? No, it's great.

Also, the Kenner red rex has such a *dumb* overbite and goofy arms jutting out (especially when compared to the Young T. rex that came out the same year) that I wouldn't call the original a 'well proportioned' figure. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug because the Red Rex looks quite goofy next to Kenner's best rex, the Thrasher T. rex.

Gwangi

I dunno, maybe it is because I'm old enough to remember the Kenner days. A time when most movie tie-in toys didn't look like their on-screen counterparts but no one cared. None of the Kenner rexes look as accurate to Rexy as the Mattel toys. Across the board, until Mattel came along, none of the JP toys looked like their onscreen counterparts. I lived with that, without much thought, until 2018 when Mattel got the license. So I don't really notice or care about things like a thin torso or the wrong raptor head, it all seems trivial to me. I've been watching Jurassic Park for 30 years now and I never even noticed that the Mattel rexes represent old Rexy vs. young Rexy. I doubt most kids notice or care either. If I wanted a high end JP T. rex I would be looking to Nanmu or some other high end company, not Mattel.

The filler species are for kids, new dinosaurs for their toy boxes. So are all the repaints and retools. A steady stream of different dinosaurs to stock in stores for kids. They seem redundant and look the same to us but the kids that were into dinosaurs in 2018 are not the same kids into dinosaurs in 2023, it's all new and fresh to them. And they did make a new rex sculpt, several in fact. Last year it was the HC T. rex and wasn't the Domionion one a new sculpt too? About the last thing we really need from Mattel is ANOTHER T. rex.

And yeah, I'm sorry, I have to scoff at the idea that the Kenner red rex has perfectly fine proportions. I've always hated the arms on that thing, the overbite, spindly neck, the bent tail. That awful generic roar. It gets a pass because of its age but it's hardly the ideal representative of Rexy. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: