News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

This is great, these are fantastic homages to the original kenner toys.

Unfortunately for me, I won't be getting any of these. My JP/JW collection focuses on getting characters and dinos from the movies plus additional species that I like. Lack of space and money force me to restrict myself to those guidelines, but the most important fact is that unfortunately I was born too late to enjoy the Kenner era, and if I had the resources, I would rather try to get some of the originals instead of these.

Gwangi

I see that the new T. rex is going to cost $50. Ouch! Nope. Not that it isn't worth it but I spent that much on a T. rex last year, I probably shouldn't do it again. Plus, we haven't seen the new HC one yet. Also, $50 is how much I spent on my Kenner rex and if I have that one, do I really need this one? Definitely yes on the Track and Explore set though.

EmperorDinobot

Blade-of-the-Moon

I ordered one of each..the packaging got me. I'll probably never take them out but the they great in package so good all around.  This is also a great way for parents to get their kids the "same" toys they had.

Carnoking

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 15, 2023, 03:46:48 PMI ordered one of each..the packaging got me. I'll probably never take them out but the they great in package so good all around.  This is also a great way for parents to get their kids the "same" toys they had.

Definitely sets worth keeping in box IMO. The retro packaging is the most exciting facet in my book, and I wasnt even around for the Kenner days  :o 

Faelrin

So we finally got the SWS Gallimimus maquette and concept art/Kenner toy colors on the superior Legacy sculpt. I have the attack pack one, but this will display much nicer with the 2018 Legacy figure.

I did not know this earlier, but apparently both the new Explorer and Scutosaurus packed with it are based on canceled Kenner toys. That's awesome. Specifically the Series 2 Jungle Explorer and also Series 2 Scutosaurus.

I love the throwback styled packaging as well.

Edit: I didn't catch this earlier, but wow they even included capture gear too, and went all out with it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Bread

JPuggy

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on February 15, 2023, 12:11:01 PMoh

my

god...

yes they are real

i want the car

"You did it, you crazy son of a bitch you did it"

Guess my wallet will be a bit lighter this year!

EmperorDinobot

And it looks like I'm out of a job.

Faelrin

So op is updated now. Also not sure if this was mentioned before, but some more Beyond the Gates reveals are coming:

March 15: 1 JP 30th item
April 19: 2 Jurassic World mainline items
May 17: 2 Legacy Collection items
June 14: 1 Hammond Collection (probably the new T. rex, or maybe the Brachiosaurus)
July 19: 1 Legacy Collection item (probably the Mamenchisaurus)
August 16: 2 Hammond Collection items

stargatedalek

Those Kenner themed sets are seriously cool! If only they'd been placing little baby dinosaurs like that with humans this whole time.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 15, 2023, 08:07:36 PMThose Kenner themed sets are seriously cool! If only they'd been placing little baby dinosaurs like that with humans this whole time.

We did get pack builder compies for awhile.  The baby triceratops is almost a perfect copy of the hatchling Kenner did. I'm not sure why the Raptor is green when I think it was brown? Other than it makes more sense in a novel version.

ItsTwentyBelow

Wow! Happy Birthday to the JP franchise!

These are incredible to me because as a kid, I remember keeping the card back from a JP series II figure I'd gotten and taking it with me on car rides because it showed awesome figures like the Scutosaurus, Ornithosuchus, Estemmeno, Carnotaurus, and that Jungle Tracker. I wanted them all! The scutosaurus set makes me happy I never found the red Mattel version.

I am interested in the vehicle set, Dr. Grant, and maybe the rex. I like the alternate costume for Grant here. My old Kenner red rex is beat up, electronics long since busted, rubber is splitting, and this new one is a cool tribute.

These releases are great, thanks for the smiles Mattel  :))

Faelrin

It's missing some of the ones done before that too, but that was a good article. Very informative. The team at Mattel definitely did a great job with these sets, and it truly feels like a love letter to the classic Kenner toys. It's great the younger generations have access to something similar without some of the high ebay prices in the way (unless their parents have the stuff from way back or willing to shell out for it). Of course I definitely think the main target audience is my generation (millennial), and those older then me (edit: like those born in the 80's. I was born in '91 so a tad too young for the original line).

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 16, 2023, 03:03:03 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on February 15, 2023, 08:07:36 PMThose Kenner themed sets are seriously cool! If only they'd been placing little baby dinosaurs like that with humans this whole time.

We did get pack builder compies for awhile.  The baby triceratops is almost a perfect copy of the hatchling Kenner did. I'm not sure why the Raptor is green when I think it was brown? Other than it makes more sense in a novel version.

I want Mattel to release a bucket of those little compies. You could have a lot of fun playing around with the packaging for them, include maybe 20 (more a jar than a bucket) or so, different poses and maybe colors. That idea is definitely a pipe dream.

JPuggy

Quote from: Gwangi on February 16, 2023, 04:44:06 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 16, 2023, 03:03:03 PM

I want Mattel to release a bucket of those little compies. You could have a lot of fun playing around with the packaging for them, include maybe 20 (more a jar than a bucket) or so, different poses and maybe colors. That idea is definitely a pipe dream.

Like a bucket of army men, just with compys?

stargatedalek

Or like a barrel of monkies. Maybe make it look like a dino transport crate.

Gwangi

I was thinking of a barrel of monkeys but a bucket of army men is also a good analogy. 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 16, 2023, 05:51:09 PMOr like a barrel of monkies. Maybe make it look like a dino transport crate.

I actually have a cage of Raptors toy they was released for The Lost World, just like the Barrel of Monkeys lol

That would be great, you could have the swarm a Brachiosaurus lol  Actually now  I kinda think that should have been a plot point, swarms of compies with unrestricted breeding on the mainland.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: