News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Blade-of-the-Moon's Art

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 13, 2012, 06:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Face lift work continues on several older Park inhabitants.  This is why your donations are so important, it helps us keep things fresh and new!
If you can visit us and donate that's the best way!  If not we have other online options :
Paypal : [email protected]
Cashapp : $BackyardTerrorsDino
Venmo: @Chris-Kastner-5

DinoToyForum

Hi avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon, I'm curious, is this still the most up to date map of your site? (from Facebook)

Also, I noticed the link to your website in the DTF sidebar is dead, have you changed your web address or don't have a website anymore?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 24, 2023, 03:23:46 PMHi avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon, I'm curious, is this still the most up to date map of your site? (from Facebook)

Also, I noticed the link to your website in the DTF sidebar is dead, have you changed your web address or don't have a website anymore?

I think I actually last made a map a few years ago. There was too much to put on one and make it legible. I think we are closer to 60 species now?   

That site needs replacing badly, I lost contact with the designer and we haven't been able to update it in years. Been trying to find someone to help design one but no luck so far.  My brother was originally building one, we were working on it while he was in the hospital early 2021, said he had a lot of free time. Then he passed away in October of that year and it was a mess. We have his computer left but no passwords to do anything. Not to downplay his passing it's been awful, I'm jsut trying to keep up with my niece and nephew now. But I did spend funds from the park on it and nothing to show for it. I'm still paying for GoDaddy hosting with backyardterrors.com   That link works, but the separate pages he made for all the events/attractions seem to have lapsed.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 24, 2023, 04:37:20 PM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 24, 2023, 03:23:46 PMHi avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon, I'm curious, is this still the most up to date map of your site? (from Facebook)

I think I actually last made a map a few years ago. There was too much to put on one and make it legible. I think we are closer to 60 species now?   

That site needs replacing badly, I lost contact with the designer and we haven't been able to update it in years. Been trying to find someone to help design one but no luck so far.  My brother was originally building one, we were working on it while he was in the hospital early 2021, said he had a lot of free time. Then he passed away in October of that year and it was a mess. We have his computer left but no passwords to do anything. Not to downplay his passing it's been awful, I'm jsut trying to keep up with my niece and nephew now. But I did spend funds from the park on it and nothing to show for it. I'm still paying for GoDaddy hosting with backyardterrors.com   That link works, but the separate pages he made for all the events/attractions seem to have lapsed.

Sorry about your brother passing away. :(

I wonder if I could help with your website. I was going to suggest I could host it for you (for free) on dinotoyblog.com (for example at an address like dinotoyblog.com/dinopark or something like that - click it and see the placeholder), and I would certainly be glad to, but then I noticed that https://backyardterrors.com is up and working. I presume this is your site and you have access to it. So, is there a reason why you put the Dinosaur Park site on a separate domain rather than as subdomain or subfolder of backyardterrors.com? The latter would save you hosting and registration fees and make it easier to manage. My general advice is you don't need to pay a web designer to build a site for you as your site is simple enough for a Wordpress installation to do the job. Setting that up is something I could help with if needed.

I found a slightly updated park map here: https://backyardterrors.com/park-map/ I'd also like to help update your site map if you'd allow it? I like doing that sort of thing and could redraw it as a vector graphic to make it easier to add details and modify in the future.

I don't mean to take this thread off topic so reply by direct message if you prefer!

Anyway, I'll remove the small Dinosaur Park banner from the DTF sidebar while the site's down.

DinoToyForum

One extra question about the map. I was trying to look up the park on Google maps to get an idea of the scale of the site, but I can't work out the orientation of your site map relative to the main road (Walnut Grove Rd). There's a 'streetview' of the front of the property and a Jurassic Park style gate is visible there, but that's from many years ago so the layout may have changed since then. Anyway, the question, which way is north on your illustration? Excuse my curiosity!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 24, 2023, 05:10:15 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 24, 2023, 04:37:20 PM

Sorry about your brother passing away. :(

I wonder if I could help with your website. I was going to suggest I could host it for you (for free) on dinotoyblog.com (for example at an address like dinotoyblog.com/dinopark or something like that - click it and see the placeholder), and I would certainly be glad to, but then I noticed that https://backyardterrors.com is up and working. I presume this is your site and you have access to it. So, is there a reason why you put the Dinosaur Park site on a separate domain rather than as subdomain or subfolder of backyardterrors.com? The latter would save you hosting and registration fees and make it easier to manage. My general advice is you don't need to pay a web designer to build a site for you as your site is simple enough for a Wordpress installation to do the job. Setting that up is something I could help with if needed.

I found a slightly updated park map here: https://backyardterrors.com/park-map/ I'd also like to help update your site map if you'd allow it? I like doing that sort of thing and could redraw it as a vector graphic to make it easier to add details and modify in the future.

I don't mean to take this thread off topic so reply by direct message if you prefer!

Anyway, I'll remove the small Dinosaur Park banner from the DTF sidebar while the site's down.

It was a bad time,  I still can't believe he's gone. He was little brother and the more outgoing one that did everything. I feel like I've lost him and my niece and nephew as I've only seen them for a couple days in a year.

No problem at all. This is the most activity this thread has had in a long time lol I'm glad for any help I can get.  The main site I pay for from GoDaddy is backyardterrors.com I also own the .net version too.  I can unlink it from the website he built I think but I can't get into and do anything with that site. I don't know coding and I'm not too up creating graphics. I have tons of pics, video, media and information for it. I'm planning to not focus on the Haunted Attraction or the Monsters Myths and Legend event for now, just the main business and dinosaur park.  I have a cousin who might try to make one not sure how confident he is about it lol

Sure thing, I originally just drew it on paper and I kept altering and squeezing things to get them to fit, it's not scaled or anything.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 24, 2023, 05:35:36 PMOne extra question about the map. I was trying to look up the park on Google maps to get an idea of the scale of the site, but I can't work out the orientation of your site map relative to the main road (Walnut Grove Rd). There's a 'streetview' of the front of the property and a Jurassic Park style gate is visible there, but that's from many years ago so the layout may have changed since then. Anyway, the question, which way is north on your illustration? Excuse my curiosity!

I think this might help :

We have our first website that was made with Wix here : https://thefunhouse.wixsite.com/dinosaurpark

It still turns up in Google searches from time to time

Kapitaenosavrvs

What a great piece of Land you got there. So much foresty area on your Ground. I am quite jealous :D

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 24, 2023, 08:48:51 PM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 24, 2023, 05:35:36 PMOne extra question about the map. I was trying to look up the park on Google maps to get an idea of the scale of the site, but I can't work out the orientation of your site map relative to the main road (Walnut Grove Rd). There's a 'streetview' of the front of the property and a Jurassic Park style gate is visible there, but that's from many years ago so the layout may have changed since then. Anyway, the question, which way is north on your illustration? Excuse my curiosity!

I think this might help :

We have our first website that was made with Wix here : https://thefunhouse.wixsite.com/dinosaurpark

It still turns up in Google searches from time to time

That's great, incredibly helpful, thanks for that! The only bit I'm still unclear on is the entrance to the park, and I can't place that forked green route you've indicated near the giftshop/entrance. Could I pester you to add one more annotation to the Google Map: the JP-style entrance gate and fence? I think that'll help me get my bearings. Then I'll see what I can draw up and you can correct me.

And, yeah, what a fantastic plot! Did it come with the house/property or did you acquire the land separately? I'm curious because it seems that a lot of your neighbour's houses back onto it. You may have mentioned this before but this thread is gargantuan now!

As for the website, I'll check out those links to existing sites and drop you a private message about it. As I say, you don't need to 'make' a site, per se, you just need a CMS (content management system) installed on your server, then you can add the content yourself extremely easily without having to do any coding. You won't need to rely on anyone else. Much like how the Dinosaur Toy Blog works. All of our reviewers login and add media and content themselves – but no coding is required. I tinker with the code but, fundamentally it's just a basic Wordpress installation using a ready-made theme. Someone who knows how to could set that up for you in minutes, and I do mean literally minutes. Godaddy should have all you need to allow a Wordpress installation. I'll message you. :)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 24, 2023, 08:15:49 PMIt was a bad time,  I still can't believe he's gone. He was little brother and the more outgoing one that did everything. I feel like I've lost him and my niece and nephew as I've only seen them for a couple days in a year.

I can't imagine how you must feel losing your little brother. I'm still reeling from losing my best friend in 2021. He was about the same age as me, early 40s. It's especially cruel and difficult to come to terms with when someone dies young. All the shared plans and dreams you had for the future get snatched away with them.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 25, 2023, 01:47:43 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 24, 2023, 08:15:49 PMIt was a bad time,  I still can't believe he's gone. He was little brother and the more outgoing one that did everything. I feel like I've lost him and my niece and nephew as I've only seen them for a couple days in a year.

I can't imagine how you must feel losing your little brother. I'm still reeling from losing my best friend in 2021. He was about the same age as me, early 40s. It's especially cruel and difficult to come to terms with when someone dies young. All the shared plans and dreams you had for the future get snatched away with them.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend I lost several in school due to accidents. My mom passed in 98' it's just me and my dad on his side of the family, I moved in with grandparents when mom died and they raised me and my brother. we're pretty close in age, I just turned 40 in November, my bro was a year behind me roughly. All this loss, it's one reason I don't buy into religion makes no sense to me. The rest of family, aunts/uncles/cousins don't get it. That's probably why I have so little help here.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Here we go, hope this helps.

The property was purchased by my grandfather. He ran a tobacco farm here even before the house was built. There was a lot of woods between each field. I played with my dinosaurs as a kid all around this area.

I'm not tech savvy really, imagine Alan Grant and computers and you have some idea lol

DinoToyForum

Exactly what I needed! I understand now, the scale is different for this front area so the best approach may be to show it small on the main map with a 'zoomed in' inset. I'll have a play around.

DinoToyForum

I'm trying to get the foundations in place for the map before I add any details. I've drawn it based mainly on your annotated Google Map, but in a slightly more inclined view. I think I've got the layout of the 'zoomed-in' section right, let me know:

But something isn't adding up with the main park map. See below, which is primarily based on your annotated Google Map. The section that has me confused is highlighted in yellow - I'm struggling to match it to the pencil map. The looping path at the top that goes up at the point indicated by the question mark, leading to dinosaurs 15, 17, etc, seems to connect at a different point in your pencil map. Should this path actually connect where the arrow indicates? Relatedly, the position of the T. rex, Triceratops, and Dig it seem to be at the end of that looping path in your pencil map, but closer to the workshop on the Google Map. Where have I gone wrong?

There are also two additional paths on the pencil map, which I've added here in dotted purple, is their position correct?

I wish I could visit and have a walk around with you!

DinoToyForum

One more question, on the following map (the most up to date pencil illustration), what's the tall rectangle between the Apato (22), 11, and 57?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 25, 2023, 04:46:00 PMOne more question, on the following map (the most up to date pencil illustration), what's the tall rectangle between the Apato (22), 11, and 57?

That is a structure behind the photo op used for storage and sometimes events. I put it in just so guests visiting would have another frame of reference while standing there.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 25, 2023, 05:44:57 PMThat is a structure behind the photo op used for storage and sometimes events. I put it in just so guests visiting would have another frame of reference while standing there.

Thanks! And let me know about the other things, I realise they're a bit more complicated to answer.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 25, 2023, 03:21:14 PMI'm trying to get the foundations in place for the map before I add any details. I've drawn it based mainly on your annotated Google Map, but in a slightly more inclined view. I think I've got the layout of the 'zoomed-in' section right, let me know:

But something isn't adding up with the main park map. See below, which is primarily based on your annotated Google Map. The section that has me confused is highlighted in yellow - I'm struggling to match it to the pencil map. The looping path at the top that goes up at the point indicated by the question mark, leading to dinosaurs 15, 17, etc, seems to connect at a different point in your pencil map. Should this path actually connect where the arrow indicates? Relatedly, the position of the T. rex, Triceratops, and Dig it seem to be at the end of that looping path in your pencil map, but closer to the workshop on the Google Map. Where have I gone wrong?

There are also two additional paths on the pencil map, which I've added here in dotted purple, is their position correct?

I wish I could visit and have a walk around with you!

I wish you could too! It's so much easier.

The zoomed in area looks good.

We've added so many dinosaurs and moved stuff around.  The workshop originally wasn't on any map but it can be added now, I get so many questions from people wanting to go back there.  I drew the map in stages and sometimes I altered paths just to make them fit so the drawn map doesn't help a lot except to just give an overview of roughly where they are walking. I added a new trail that used to be the haunt path in the woods. behind the shop and stegosaurus. I think that is one area that's confusing you. That trail has only a couple dinos on it, but more are coming, it will open in stages. I think you have it confused with another trail as DIG IT! and 15 and 17-21 aren't on that trail. So far that trail has a Dilophosaurus Veneifer, Dragon, and soon a Fukuivenator and Balaur Bondoc on it along with the four I'm building now. 

The pink dotted line has the chasmosaurus on it where indicated and the playground but that's it. the ceratosaurus, pachycephalosaurus across from it are all on a hill with a path above the playground path below it.

There is also a Pyroraptor and a Guanlong in the giftshop on display.

The property is 6 acres so kind of hard to get it all on there.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 25, 2023, 06:19:55 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 25, 2023, 05:44:57 PMThat is a structure behind the photo op used for storage and sometimes events. I put it in just so guests visiting would have another frame of reference while standing there.

Thanks! And let me know about the other things, I realise they're a bit more complicated to answer.

I think I got them, it's hard to explain. I've been answering party requests, making new signs, trying to line up sponsorships, thankfully it rained today lol  BTW not ignoring your message, just waiting til my mind is clear enough to read it. ;)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 25, 2023, 06:56:14 PM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 25, 2023, 06:19:55 PM

I think I got them, it's hard to explain. I've been answering party requests, making new signs, trying to line up sponsorships, thankfully it rained today lol  BTW not ignoring your message, just waiting til my mind is clear enough to read it. ;)

There's no rush. Whenever you find the time and inclination. :)

Ah! a new trail, missing from one map, would explain much of my confusion! I think I was conflating two areas.

So, to clarify, the part I've circled in purple here:

Is missing from the pencil illustration? But if it were to be added, it would fit around here:

Correct?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: