News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Blade-of-the-Moon's Art

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 13, 2012, 06:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 25, 2023, 07:45:49 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 25, 2023, 06:56:14 PM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 25, 2023, 06:19:55 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 25, 2023, 05:44:57 PMThat is a structure behind the photo op used for storage and sometimes events. I put it in just so guests visiting would have another frame of reference while standing there.

Thanks! And let me know about the other things, I realise they're a bit more complicated to answer.

I think I got them, it's hard to explain. I've been answering party requests, making new signs, trying to line up sponsorships, thankfully it rained today lol  BTW not ignoring your message, just waiting til my mind is clear enough to read it. ;)

There's no rush. Whenever you find the time and inclination. :)

Ah! a new trail, missing from one map, would explain much of my confusion! I think I was conflating two areas.

So, to clarify, the part I've circled in purple here:

Is missing from the pencil illustration? But if it were to be added, it would fit around here:

Correct?

You are correct! It's a sizable property, you can see just small that trail is in that area. There is actually room for me to put in a plethora of new side trails traversing the hill that leads down to it. We might end up with a few miles of trails eventually. I need more dinosaurs..  ;D

DinoToyForum

Thanks, well that explains it. So, I think I have things straight, now, see the screenshot below. I've left the additional trail as a dotted line for now. So, ignoring that, as I understand it there are two main loops, one on the left (the Mezozoic Nature Trail I think), and one on the right (surrounding the trike). But the loop on the right, which I originally thought was about the same size as the one on the left, is much smaller, so it is difficult to tease apart the layout in that region (see the large purple circle with all the crowded numbers). I feel like I may be missing some small paths in this area as well? So, I think this will need a zoomed in view. Do you think you could draw up a sketch of this area for me?

I may also need to rethink the scale of the map entirely and have a zoomed out view for the large Mesozoic Nature Trail instead of multiple zoomed in views of other areas.

Also, I can show a zoomed in layout of the Terrors of the Deep section (the small purple circle, I believe) if you want to provide me with a sketch of that.

I'm getting there anyway. Once I have the main layout set out, then the most fun part begins – making it look pretty and adding the vegetation and dinosaurs. I was thinking of using JP-style logos for some of the key dinosaurs. What do you think?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 26, 2023, 01:01:04 AMThanks, well that explains it. So, I think I have things straight, now, see the screenshot below. I've left the additional trail as a dotted line for now. So, ignoring that, as I understand it there are two main loops, one on the left (the Mezozoic Nature Trail I think), and one on the right (surrounding the trike). But the loop on the right, which I originally thought was about the same size as the one on the left, is much smaller, so it is difficult to tease apart the layout in that region (see the large purple circle with all the crowded numbers). I feel like I may be missing some small paths in this area as well? So, I think this will need a zoomed in view. Do you think you could draw up a sketch of this area for me?

I may also need to rethink the scale of the map entirely and have a zoomed out view for the large Mesozoic Nature Trail instead of multiple zoomed in views of other areas.

Also, I can show a zoomed in layout of the Terrors of the Deep section (the small purple circle, I believe) if you want to provide me with a sketch of that.

I'm getting there anyway. Once I have the main layout set out, then the most fun part begins – making it look pretty and adding the vegetation and dinosaurs. I was thinking of using JP-style logos for some of the key dinosaurs. What do you think?

That sounds awesome!

Lets see if this will help :

DinoToyForum

You've gone above and beyond there, thanks!

DinoToyForum

I'm making good progress with the layout. I decided to use the same scale for the entrance area and main area. Let me know if there are any glaring mistakes or omissions (you can open the image in a new window to view it full size):

We might even get away without the messy zoomed in/out boxes. Instead, we can simply connect the path that joins the two maps with some other visual indication that the scale is different.

The blank circles will need numbers eventually, but I think it would be best to start the numbering system from scratch, and this can come later. Is that okay though, are the existing numbers associated with physical dinosaur signs in the park?

I also thought it might be nice to indicate "star attractions" with a star symbol instead of a circle. Let me know if you like this idea, and if you do, are any other star species I should flag?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 26, 2023, 04:13:02 PMI'm making good progress with the layout. I decided to use the same scale for the entrance area and main area. Let me know if there are any glaring mistakes or omissions (you can open the image in a new window to view it full size):

We might even get away without the messy zoomed in/out boxes. Instead, we can simply connect the path that joins the two maps with some other visual indication that the scale is different.

The blank circles will need numbers eventually, but I think it would be best to start the numbering system from scratch, and this can come later. Is that okay though, are the existing numbers associated with physical dinosaur signs in the park?

I also thought it might be nice to indicate "star attractions" with a star symbol instead of a circle. Let me know if you like this idea, and if you do, are any other star species I should flag?

I'll do a quick sketch of the woods/nature trail too and see if we are missing any species. we have benches in the park but I don't really see a need to add them.

I would definitely start fresh with numbers, because we added them in stages and I went back and added things in old areas it's a mess. The signage doesn't use numbers thank goodness so we can do what we like there.

That sounds like a good idea, obviously the larger ones are the stars, Rex, Triceratops, Apatosaurus, Stegosaurus and Spinosaurus.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 26, 2023, 04:13:02 PMI'm making good progress with the layout. I decided to use the same scale for the entrance area and main area. Let me know if there are any glaring mistakes or omissions (you can open the image in a new window to view it full size):

DinoToyForum

DinoToyForum

Will the trail that's under construction be a dead end, or will it reconnect to the rest of the park around the 'dig it' area?

DinoToyForum

I've updated the layout based on your very helpful recent diagrams.

Also, I decided to see what the entire site map would look like when drawn to the same scale as the entrance. Actually, I think this could work. What do you think? Issues begin to arise with legibility trying to fit the whole map on the page like this, but I think I can find a happy medium and increase the size of the numbered circles and annotations slightly. This way is simpler and also provides lots of space to add in more dinosaurs in the future. Let me know if you prefer this or the previous version with a zoomed in area.

As you can see, I've also added some silhouettes for the star dinos but these are just placeholders - you can draw these if you prefer.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 26, 2023, 08:04:19 PMWill the trail that's under construction be a dead end, or will it reconnect to the rest of the park around the 'dig it' area?

It will be a loop that doubles back. I don't own that part or  I would run it that way. I have a small loop at the end of it now, a large one when we get that far.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 26, 2023, 11:22:27 PMI've updated the layout based on your very helpful recent diagrams.

Also, I decided to see what the entire site map would look like when drawn to the same scale as the entrance. Actually, I think this could work. What do you think? Issues begin to arise with legibility trying to fit the whole map on the page like this, but I think I can find a happy medium and increase the size of the numbered circles and annotations slightly. This way is simpler and also provides lots of space to add in more dinosaurs in the future. Let me know if you prefer this or the previous version with a zoomed in area.

As you can see, I've also added some silhouettes for the star dinos but these are just placeholders - you can draw these if you prefer.

It certainly makes the area look a lot bigger and more expansive. I don't really print up maps anymore, when we did I found a lot tossed on the ground or trash, it was pretty wasteful. So we added it to the website and provided a QR code here to access it.  So we can essentially make it as large as needed. I do miss the idea of the old theme park brochures and maps though. The silhouettes look great, I have asked Scott Hartman a few years before for permission to use his skeletals if that helps at all.

DinoToyForum

Thanks, I see, I'll correct that north loop (let's call it the north loop!) accordingly. I traced that north loop directly from your annotated Google Map so I guess that showed the planned or just a rough route rather than an accurate path of the current route?

Let's go with the same scale for the whole map then, the final document can be a PDF so it will be easy to view and zoom in in a browser window.

The dinosaur icons are from Phylopic and free to use if we want to use them.

I think it would be nice to add the benches to the plan, why not! So, if you could mark these on the plan I'll add them. Also, I haven't forgotten about the Terrors of the Deep, I'll do that as an inset.

Do you think the width of the path is about right? I can expand it everywhere, or in places, as required.

When I come to add the vegetation, shall I make it summery and green? I guess that's when you get the most visitors.

Eventually, maybe you could get the map printed on a large board at the entrance to the park, or at a key point in the park with a "You are here" annotation. Although I know (working in museums) that would be expensive.

For printouts, if you ever do decide to create some, the simplest approach for a practical and legible map could be to split the map across two easy to print A4 (or US letter) size sheets, so you can home-print if required. Then each map section can be a different scale to work on an A4 page.

Thanks for letting me work on this, it really puts into perspective how expansive the park has become and how much work you've put into it! I'm at work in the week so I won't be able to spend as much time on this as I have these past few days, but I'll get my teeth back into it soon.

DinoToyForum

I updated the numbers, made a few tweaks (e.g to the size of the font, red circles, and paths) and added the dinosaur names to the key. Let me know if I missed any species or made any mistakes.

I noticed there are some "Mezozoic Arthropods" listed on one of your maps, but not in your recent sketches, are they still there and need annotating?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 27, 2023, 04:17:39 PMThanks, I see, I'll correct that north loop (let's call it the north loop!) accordingly. I traced that north loop directly from your annotated Google Map so I guess that showed the planned or just a rough route rather than an accurate path of the current route?

Yes, I just drew the entire trail in there without thinking. There is so much to go over it does take awhile.

Let's go with the same scale for the whole map then, the final document can be a PDF so it will be easy to view and zoom in in a browser window.  That works.

The dinosaur icons are from Phylopic and free to use if we want to use them.
Cool, works for me, I'm pretty easy to please lol I just appreciate the help!

I think it would be nice to add the benches to the plan, why not! So, if you could mark these on the plan I'll add them. Also, I haven't forgotten about the Terrors of the Deep, I'll do that as an inset.
Okay, I'll add them, do we want to do future ones too?

Do you think the width of the path is about right? I can expand it everywhere, or in places, as required.
I think so, the average is about 6' and reduces down to 3' in a few places mostly the older areas.

When I come to add the vegetation, shall I make it summery and green? I guess that's when you get the most visitors.
Yes that will be perfect. I have Japanese Banana trees that pop up in Spring, lots of deciduous trees as well as pine and cedar too.

Eventually, maybe you could get the map printed on a large board at the entrance to the park, or at a key point in the park with a "You are here" annotation. Although I know (working in museums) that would be expensive.
It's certainly possible, I use Vistaprint when they have a 50% off sale.

For printouts, if you ever do decide to create some, the simplest approach for a practical and legible map could be to split the map across two easy to print A4 (or US letter) size sheets, so you can home-print if required. Then each map section can be a different scale to work on an A4 page.
That could work, we had really nice full color brochures at one point a friend designed. I still have a box somewhere, would be cool to do an interior that opens with it. 

Thanks for letting me work on this, it really puts into perspective how expansive the park has become and how much work you've put into it! I'm at work in the week so I won't be able to spend as much time on this as I have these past few days, but I'll get my teeth back into it soon. No worries at all, as I said I really appreciate the help. It's almost become more than I can handle on my own.

I answered in bold above, thought it might be easier. :)

DinoToyForum

Thanks for the thorough reply, that answered everything!

Just mark the current benches for now, and any that will be in place very soon. I'll be happy to update the map in the future as new benches, dinosaurs, and paths etc. are added. I know you are working on some new species. Making tweaks to the map is very easy. For example, if you want to add more fences or buildings, or change the position of dinosaurs, just mark them up and I'll add them to the digital map.

Now that I have a new appreciation for the scale and layout of the park I went back through this thread, but of course, most of the images are missing now.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 28, 2023, 12:12:28 AMI updated the numbers, made a few tweaks (e.g to the size of the font, red circles, and paths) and added the dinosaur names to the key. Let me know if I missed any species or made any mistakes.

I noticed there are some "Mezozoic Arthropods" listed on one of your maps, but not in your recent sketches, are they still there and need annotating?

The arthropods are located in the same area as the velociraptors and Protoceratops, it's actually a really short about 10' covered walkthrough themed like a cave.  We had to remove the old raptor pen due to county complaints and this was the only area I had left for them being animated and all.

#70 is a Dilophosaurus Venenifer from JP. My writing is pretty rough lol

# 4 is a Pteranodon and a Geosternbergia. I changed the sitting one when I had to replace it.

# 5 Protoceratops is located with the Velociraptors

#10 Styracosaurus was moved into the woods at #63 ( which should be a bit more left between the Quetz and Nothronychus but on that same side of the trail )

# 40 JW Blue and Beta

I think that's it. There are more than  I thought lol  There are still multiples of others, just added two juvenile triceratops last year and two juvenile T-Rex a couple weeks ago. We have six Velociraptors..  ;D

Here are the current benches and planned benches

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 28, 2023, 02:55:27 AMThanks for the thorough reply, that answered everything!

Just mark the current benches for now, and any that will be in place very soon. I'll be happy to update the map in the future as new benches, dinosaurs, and paths etc. are added. I know you are working on some new species. Making tweaks to the map is very easy. For example, if you want to add more fences or buildings, or change the position of dinosaurs, just mark them up and I'll add them to the digital map.

Now that I have a new appreciation for the scale and layout of the park I went back through this thread, but of course, most of the images are missing now.

Yeah I mostly used Facebook to host images and they change addresses to avoid linking/hosting for too long.  More pics can be found in my albums on facebook or on my DA account : https://www.deviantart.com/blade-of-the-moon

Cool! That was another reason I sort of let it fall off. It was became a pain to alter and keep up with heh

DinoToyForum

Thanks for the corrections and bench positions, I'll update the map. I somehow put the Protoceratops in twice (it's also at #26, with the raptors, as you say). So, is position #5 blank now? If so, I can move it and use it for the Geosternbergia, which should get its own number.

Now that you've explained there many more babies and juveniles I think I'll avoid giving them all separate numbers. I'll make it so that each number matches a species, and I can use the same number twice (as I have with the juvenile Apatosaurus #33) if they are far apart.

I checked through your Facebook photos. It's great to see the photos of the park and understand them in the context of the map I've been drawing. It's also lovely seeing so many photos of people enjoying the park, that's what it's all about. You can be extremely proud of what you have achieved.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 28, 2023, 03:36:25 AMThanks for the corrections and bench positions, I'll update the map. I somehow put the Protoceratops in twice (it's also at #26, with the raptors, as you say). So, is position #5 blank now? If so, I can move it and use it for the Geosternbergia, which should get its own number.

Now that you've explained there many more babies and juveniles I think I'll avoid giving them all separate numbers. I'll make it so that each number matches a species, and I can use the same number twice (as I have with the juvenile Apatosaurus #33) if they are far apart.

I checked through your Facebook photos. It's great to see the photos of the park and understand them in the context of the map I've been drawing. It's also lovely seeing so many photos of people enjoying the park, that's what it's all about. You can be extremely proud of what you have achieved.

I think Styracosaurus was in there twice too?  Where the number 5 is at is another JP Dilophosaurus I made and a tiger striped JW Raptor across from it, kids love the film ones. Those however don't have signs. The building near #5 actually has a small scene in it with a human skeleton in the jungle wearing a JP tshirt and compies everywhere, two are animated playing with a popcorn bucket there.  Again no sign so I'm not sure it's worth numbering?

Juveniles are generally within eyesight of an adult if there is an adult specimen.

There is a Guanlong and a Pyroraptor in the gift shop as displays as well.

It makes me happy. I won't say satisfied because it's just not true, I'm always striving for better..sometimes I wear myself out.  I do love hearing them shout in excitement " mom, dad! Look! " it's definitely what keeps me going.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: