News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane

Quote from: RolandEden on March 07, 2023, 04:36:51 PMHere is Irritator
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BSMSRWKT?ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_QR6XY70G36QEY5H2R2Z1&fbclid=IwAR3VqmtG57qEP5bYPhX4QDSAWKjXxm4-X01pSwg44tSoZhK-9_ww2JpRH18
Weird it has Jurassic World the game label, when The Game one is totally different or a new gen 2 is coming.

Amazon listings are not always set up by the most official of sources, so product page titles can be wonky.

But I would imagine it's from "the game" as that's the main media that Irritator has been featured in. Though it looks way different from the Irritator(s) featured in the JW Alive mobile game I used to play.

Faelrin

avatar_SpartanSquat @RolandEden Yeah it is a bit weird considering the design definitely seems based on, or inspired by the GBA JPIII Park Builder one (which was discussed earlier, such as my post here ).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Nyrorosaurus

Ornithocheirus, Dakosaurus and Borealopelta

Carnoking

Wow, that Borealopelta looks really good for a Mattel original! No weird proportions or cartoony eyes to speak of!

Flaffy

Dakosaurus and Borealopelta are easily the highlights of this wave. And it proves that Mattel CAN do proportionate and pleasing sculpts, it's just that they deliberately choose not to most of the time. :-\ The Borealopelta especially, vast improvement over their previous nodosaur (Sauropelta).

So for toothless pterosaurs they add teeth... And toothed ones they do without... I'm hoping that the teeth are somewhere in the beak, but they really should be protruding out somewhat.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Borealopelta looks fantastic.  Dako..I guess all their marine reptiles can't be winners..but this will give a smaller cheaper option than the electronic ones.  Ornithocheirus should have been Quetz sized..sigh..

Flaffy

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 08, 2023, 04:06:23 PMBorealopelta looks fantastic.  Dako..I guess all their marine reptiles can't be winners..but this will give a smaller cheaper option than the electronic ones.  Ornithocheirus should have been Quetz sized..sigh..

Quetz-sized Ornithocheirus estimates were grossly oversized. It's certainly no small pterosaur, but equally it's no where near the giant azhdarchids. Even Pteranodon has a larger wingspan than Ornithocheirus. (6.6m vs 5m)

Something inbetween the size of the Roarivores Pteranodon and Danger Pack offerings would be ideal.

(Top: Ornithocheirus, Bottom: Pteranodon)

PrimevalRaptor

Wow, that Borealopelta is amazing, the potential lack of teeth is odd for the Ornithocheirus but at least it's some pterosaur diversity (and seems to have pycnofibres) but man I do like the Dakosaurus a lot, great colors, probably more gnarly than it should be (and idk about the fin proportions) but I'm definitely gonna pick this up (I say, still waiting for the Nothosaurus to hit stores here)

MLMjp

I feel like I might replace my I.rex with standing issues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zsk6AdlxtTQ

andrewsaurus rex

yes the Borealopelta does look good, at least from the one angle shown.  Any idea on the figure's size?

Flaffy

Quote from: MLMjp on March 08, 2023, 05:06:32 PMI feel like I might replace my I.rex with standing issues

Hmmm this one is indeed tempting. Sculpt looks to be more accurate than the original too with better proportions.
But considering there's no way Mattel isn't doing an Indominus in the Hammond Collection line, I'm hesitant to pick up any new film species from the mainline.

Gwangi

The Borealopelta looks great. But I won't dare get excited about it, it'll never show up in stores. Lots of announcements for new products while stores continue to carry the same selection from 6 months ago.  ::)

MLMjp

Quote from: Flaffy on March 08, 2023, 05:11:36 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on March 08, 2023, 05:06:32 PMI feel like I might replace my I.rex with standing issues

Hmmm this one is indeed tempting. Sculpt looks to be more accurate than the original too with better proportions.
But considering there's no way Mattel isn't doing an Indominus in the Hammond Collection line, I'm hesitant to pick up any new film species from the mainline.
I also think about a potential HC one, but at the current speed I feel like it will take a while (And I would prefer them to give us Spino and Giga first)

Eatmycar

Indominus is an easy pass. It's head and shoulders above their previous offerings and anything Hasbro did, but, with the Hammond Collection a thing... it just seems foolish to buy it in my eyes. I'll let patience pay off.

The Borealopelta, Dakousaurus, and Macaw-styled Pyroraptor are winning my heart though. Easy pickups.

Carnoking

I'm loving that indominus! Even if a HC one is in the pipeline, I'll probably be looking to this one as my go to until then.

Faelrin

Just woke up after going back to bed after seeing the earlier Safari Ltd Utahraptor reveal and wow I'm really impressed with that Borealopelta. Color could have been more orange red on top but I imagine they didn't want it too similar to the previous Sauropelta. Easily the best of this wave. That said I do like the Ornithocheirus and Dakosaurus too. I think the Ornithocheirus also has pycnofibers? Hopefully it will have the teeth in its beak. The mouth is closed though. 

The new Indominus seems interesting, but agree about waiting for a HC version. That transformer T. rex looks weird. Think the Hasbro one was done better tbh.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Pliosaurking

The Borealopelta and Dakosaurus are quite nice. The I Rex looks really good, but with a hc version inevitably on the way I'm hesitant to get it. Hopefully I can actually get ahold of these, my stores are stocking stuff from wave 1 Dominion and no newer.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on March 08, 2023, 04:22:19 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 08, 2023, 04:06:23 PMBorealopelta looks fantastic.  Dako..I guess all their marine reptiles can't be winners..but this will give a smaller cheaper option than the electronic ones.  Ornithocheirus should have been Quetz sized..sigh..

Quetz-sized Ornithocheirus estimates were grossly oversized. It's certainly no small pterosaur, but equally it's no where near the giant azhdarchids. Even Pteranodon has a larger wingspan than Ornithocheirus. (6.6m vs 5m)

Something inbetween the size of the Roarivores Pteranodon and Danger Pack offerings would be ideal.

(Top: Ornithocheirus, Bottom: Pteranodon)

Sorry I didn't mean to say it should be that scale, I meant that it would be nice to have one that large and detailed in that size range/line. Kenenr did Pteranodon and Quetzalcoatlus in same size and they were nice big toys.  They could have done a Cearadactylus too..if anyone is reading..

I'll probably get the new Indominus, it may be awhile before we get one in the HC lineup if that line continues that far.

The transformer-esque Rex looks like a giant Snap Squad..I have no idea who liked that idea and it's an easy pass for me.

suspsy

The giant pterosaur that Walking With Dinosaurs called Ornithocheirus was subsequently determined to be Tropeognathus instead. And while it is the largest known South American pterosaur, it was definitely not in the same size class as Quetzalocoatlus.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on March 09, 2023, 04:26:08 AMThe giant pterosaur that Walking With Dinosaurs called Ornithocheirus was subsequently determined to be Tropeognathus instead. And while it is the largest known South American pterosaur, it was definitely not in the same size class as Quetzalocoatlus.

As I mentioned above, I just meant I wanted a bigger figure of it, not true to scale.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: