News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoFan2010

Ornithochierus is nice, but please pray to Raptor Jebus it has teeth.
Dakosaurus is fine, but the worst of the bunch in my opinion.
Again, Pyroraptor is nice, but I am mostly wanting to get because of that hilarious color scheme.
Velociraptor is just meh, would have preferred a new Troodon with the same colors.
Borealopelta is the BEST of the bunch, easily Mattel's best Ankylosaur yet.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Faelrin

Another new sub line, another new gimmick. Not sure how many folks here will find these appealing, but worth sharing just in case:

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

CityRaptor

These look like they could be fun. They at least look better than the T.rex/Explorer one teased in the new Indominus Rex video. Although I don't think I'll pick them up.

And the Red Rex has been spotted at Smyths UK.
https://twitter.com/DanEmultimedia/status/1633871617951694848
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

andrewsaurus rex

kids will probably love them........two toys in one.

DinoFan2010

Those are really nice, look like they should pair well with the Bendy Biters from 2021

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

CityRaptor

Bendy Biters? Those thin, evil looking things? I think they are better executed than that, although I see some similarity in style.

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on March 09, 2023, 05:24:34 PMkids will probably love them........two toys in one.

That's what I'm thinking, too. Despite what Jurassic Park/World collectors think, the toyline is mainly aimed at kids.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

MLMjp

Im a transformers fan...but no, thank you.

DinoFan2010

QuoteBendy Biters? Those thin, evil looking things? I think they are better executed than that, although I see some similarity in style.
QuoteYeah, those. I may get all of these and pair them with the Bendy Biters

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

GojiraGuy1954

The 30th Anniversary stuff is so awesome
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Flaffy

Well well well, look who just started hitting shelves...

I couldn't help myself, snagged one the moment I laid my hands on it. The rubber used feels quite nice. Far less stiff than the Mosasaurus, but that also means it's probably quite a bit thinner. There's a plastic skeleton underneath to maintain structural integrity. The weird temporal extension is unfortunately present, but in hand it's not as distracting as the promotional pictures make it out to be... assuming you choose a well assembled specimen that is. As with most rubber figures, it's important to check the integrity of the glued connection points. The jowls are another point of noteable inspection, so be on the lookout for any minor defects in these areas if you're after a perfect specimen.

Only the body and tail are made out of proper rubber. The arms and head are cast out of a semi-pliable plastic, and the legs & feet are the usual cheap hard plastic used on the other megatheropod toys. Would've much prefer the legs be cast out of the higher quality plastic used for the head as well. A part of me suspects the only reason why they're cast out of the hard plastic is to accomodate that dumb DNA flap (bring back the underfoot stickers!). But otherwise, the model feels sturdy, not cheap at all.

Surely I'm not the only one who's gotten sick of all the overly gimmicky releases lately. Especially with the large theropod releases (looking at you shelf-warmer Giga O:-) ). There's a certain appeal to the simplistic execution of this figure. Just good old articulation with a roar, what more can you want. While this one doesn't have any of the fancy over-the-top mechanics, I'm sure it'll hold up better against play, and last longer than previous releases. I really enjoy the fact that you can pose it's mouth however and whenever you want, as it's not tied to some silly action feature or unecessary ratchet joint.

All in all, a decent release. I will stand by my previous criticisms of the figure. But after acquring it, it's safe to say that both collectors and children alike will be very happy with this Tyrannosaurus.

Gwangi

Thanks for sharing. I just watched a Youtube video about this toy and was happy to see that it can swallow human action figures. And I was curious about how much of the figure was plastic vs. "real feel skin". I still don't know if I'll get it but with the way distribution is around me I suspect I have about a year to decide.

Flaffy

Quote from: Gwangi on March 10, 2023, 09:27:22 PMThanks for sharing. I just watched a Youtube video about this toy and was happy to see that it can swallow human action figures. And I was curious about how much of the figure was plastic vs. "real feel skin". I still don't know if I'll get it but with the way distribution is around me I suspect I have about a year to decide.

The only jarring texture change is the legs imo. The material used for the head vs the rubber body gives a very similar "feel".

I think this piece is worth acquiring at least one copy. I'm highly considering getting another for an in-box display specimen. And even if you change your mind in the future and no longer want to keep it, I'm almost certain you can recoup the cost and then some on the aftermarket later down the road. (assuming Mattel doesn't flood shelves to the point they become shelf warmers of course)

Also, could you link the video you saw? At the moment I'm keeping mines in box so wanted to see it out of the box in motion. (Edit: nvm found one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq6A_kS8fVk&ab_channel=JurassicCollectables

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Thanks for the in depth look at this figure. Can't wait for these to show up here. Well maybe I can, since I got other stuff I want to get first, and need to save my funds up. Granted with how it is taking Target to get the HC dinosaurs it won't surprise me we probably won't start seeing these until around June (when the first film's release was), if we are lucky.

Gwangi

Quote from: Flaffy on March 10, 2023, 09:45:49 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on March 10, 2023, 09:27:22 PMThanks for sharing. I just watched a Youtube video about this toy and was happy to see that it can swallow human action figures. And I was curious about how much of the figure was plastic vs. "real feel skin". I still don't know if I'll get it but with the way distribution is around me I suspect I have about a year to decide.

The only jarring texture change is the legs imo. The material used for the head vs the rubber body gives a very similar "feel".

I think this piece is worth acquiring at least one copy. I'm highly considering getting another for an in-box display specimen. And even if you change your mind in the future and no longer want to keep it, I'm almost certain you can recoup the cost and then some on the aftermarket later down the road. (assuming Mattel doesn't flood shelves to the point they become shelf warmers of course)

Also, could you link the video you saw? At the moment I'm keeping mines in box so wanted to see it out of the box in motion. (Edit: nvm found one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq6A_kS8fVk&ab_channel=JurassicCollectables

I do think I'll keep mine on the box. I'll detach it but it looks like I can still display it standing on the box. The packaging is a major selling point here, no way would I toss it. That's if I get it of course. The Hammond Collection was supposed to be my last JP T. rex.  O:-)

That is indeed the video I watched.

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on March 10, 2023, 10:07:16 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Thanks for the in depth look at this figure. Can't wait for these to show up here. Well maybe I can, since I got other stuff I want to get first, and need to save my funds up. Granted with how it is taking Target to get the HC dinosaurs it won't surprise me we probably won't start seeing these until around June (when the first film's release was), if we are lucky.

My pleasure! Fingers crossed shops will have enough stock for everyone to have a fair shake at getting one of these at MSRP! While I don't imagine Mattel understocking a Tyrannosaurus figure, you can never be too sure considering the sh*t they've pulled in the past with poor distribution. And the fact that this is a special anniversary subline rather than a main staple.

Another pic of the head, I've seen people asking if it has the same goofy bulldog head of the JWD release. Happy to report it does not.

Flaffy

Quote from: Gwangi on March 10, 2023, 10:09:41 PMI do think I'll keep mine on the box. I'll detach it but it looks like I can still display it standing on the box. The packaging is a major selling point here, no way would I toss it. That's if I get it of course. The Hammond Collection was supposed to be my last JP T. rex.  O:-)

Indeed. The amount of care taken to replicate the old Kenner style packaging is absurd. Would be a crime to ruin or toss such a beautiful box.

And I'm guilty as well, the HC rex was also supposed to be my last Mattel rex. ;D

Flaffy

Nice to see the vultures at it already ::) Don't feed the scalpers people!

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy I forgot to ask this earlier, but what's the back of the box look like? Anything special?

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on March 10, 2023, 11:22:31 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy I forgot to ask this earlier, but what's the back of the box look like? Anything special?

Nice homages to the Kenner-style presentation. Not sure how well it shows up on the pics, but I think they deliberately lowered the resolution of certain images of the back print to make the presentation look even more authentic.

The facts app at on the lower left corner completely clashes with the rest of the design though. :-\ Like let's be real here, the app will be defunct at some point in the future, but the figure and package will hold strong for decades to come. So why compromise the package, and the figure itself by slapping on this gawdy jarring permanent stain?

Galaxy

Camouflage 'N Battle Indominus Rex

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: