News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medzo

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 19, 2023, 05:42:40 AMJust received my Mapu, love the coloration and patterns.

I'm troubled by the size of the figure, thus I decided to only order Lucas for now.

Shouldn't the Mapu be slightly smaller?

Is it scientifically based to say Lucas is perhaps a normal sized Giga, while the Mapu is the most mature and biggest one for the species' potential? I'm thinking like the biggest lion ever existed could had been even bigger than a normal Siberian tiger, while the tiger phenotypically should most of the time be bigger.

Or it is just plainly not a 1:35 figure. In which case, I'm not interested.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Medzo on April 19, 2023, 09:27:13 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 19, 2023, 05:42:40 AMJust received my Mapu, love the coloration and patterns.

I'm troubled by the size of the figure, thus I decided to only order Lucas for now.

Is it scientifically based to say Lucas is perhaps a normal sized Giga, while the Mapu is the most mature and biggest one for the species' potential? I'm thinking like the biggest lion ever existed could had been even bigger than a normal Siberian tiger, while the tiger phenotypically should most of the time be bigger.

The problem with all large Charcharodontosaurids is theire incredibly fragmentary, esp since skulls tend to be the thing missing so we used composits of allosaurus, acro and others, which is the easiest to base size estimates from. Giganotosaurus sat at 12-14 meter for a long time due to this, when meraxes was found a new size estimate predicts more 12-13 meter. Mapusaurus reestimate is 12-14 still overall to put it simply and with the restruct of skulls it maps out slightly larger than giganotosaurus. so no Pnso is basing this off true 1;35 and theire both accurate, but same as charcharodontosaurus being accurate at both 31 cm and also at 36 cm in 1:35( Haolonggood model) since the sizeestimates arent prefectly reliable and even then might vary by individual like all animals. sometimes we just have to concede scientific accuracy os hard on a puzzle missing 70 percent of pieces and no reference sheet

SenSx

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 19, 2023, 12:58:12 PM

The problem with all large Charcharodontosaurids is theire incredibly fragmentary, esp since skulls tend to be the thing missing so we used composits of allosaurus, acro and others, which is the easiest to base size estimates from. Giganotosaurus sat at 12-14 meter for a long time due to this, when meraxes was found a new size estimate predicts more 12-13 meter. Mapusaurus reestimate is 12-14 still overall to put it simply and with the restruct of skulls it maps out slightly larger than giganotosaurus. so no Pnso is basing this off true 1;35 and theire both accurate, but same as charcharodontosaurus being accurate at both 31 cm and also at 36 cm in 1:35( Haolonggood model) since the sizeestimates arent prefectly reliable and even then might vary by individual like all animals. sometimes we just have to concede scientific accuracy os hard on a puzzle missing 70 percent of pieces and no reference sheet

So wait, for a noob summary: recent data says Mapusaurus was bigger than Giganotosaurus ?

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: SenSx on April 19, 2023, 01:43:46 PM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 19, 2023, 12:58:12 PM

So wait, for a noob summary: recent data says Mapusaurus was bigger than Giganotosaurus ?

Well yes, but actually no  :)

in short current studys put giga smaller than his cousin mapu and Aloro, this might change quick if new holotypes are found.  its the  spinosaurus problem

sorry theire my fav group so i went overboard, in conclusion Mapusaurus is likely larger due to CURRENT estimates based on the new meraxes skull , not its own data. again theire like a puzzle where ur missing half the pieces and u have to use similar puzzles to restore it. before they used allosaurus where giga reconstructed bigger, now its mapu and * maybe* Alorotitan , but again might be false in a year ,not helped by animals varriying in size like so basicly bigger mapus or smaller gigas are normal and even expected. Also the mapu and giga might be a tiger / lion or a Bali tiger/ somali tiger deal, so we dont even sure just how close they could be.

SenSx

OK thanks

So Mapusaurus is the new Carcharodontosaurus chad (for now at least)
Well I might buy it instead of the PNSO that costs an arm.

Halichoeres

Quote from: imnewhere on April 18, 2023, 08:14:43 PMHas it been a while since PNSO has released a new figure or am I just impatient

Maybe it just feels that way because all their releases this year have been such similar animals. It feels like there hasn't been anything really new in several months.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

It has been a while since PNSO released a new figure.  Since next year it will have been 100 years since Velociraptor was named, I wonder if PNSO will release a figure of it then.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 19, 2023, 07:54:53 PM
Quote from: imnewhere on April 18, 2023, 08:14:43 PMHas it been a while since PNSO has released a new figure or am I just impatient

Maybe it just feels that way because all their releases this year have been such similar animals. It feels like there hasn't been anything really new in several months.
hopefully releasing those three clears the path for more diversity, unless of course the unfortunate Tyrannotitan prophecy is true

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on April 19, 2023, 09:42:47 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on April 19, 2023, 07:54:53 PM

hopefully releasing those three clears the path for more diversity, unless of course the unfortunate Tyrannotitan prophecy is true

maybe its just me as a fan of these, but wouldnt the tyrannotitan kinda be a win win, lovers of these can finish all giganotosaur -like charchars and theres def another dinosaur coming afterwards. esp cause of the new meraxes skull it makes sense they make the most of it.

Sim

It wouldn't be a win win because some people don't want yet another figure that's nearly identical to the previous THREE, plus an even longer wait for something different.  I also don't understand the desire for a Tyrannotitan, its appearance is unknown and if a figure of it is made it will almost certainly look like PNSO's last three carcharodontosaurids.  PNSO should look at diversity again and make other things now, in my opinion.  The lack of dromaeosaurids from them is something I'd very much like them to change.

Stegotyranno420

I guess it depends on the person. I dont have anything against Carcharodontosaurids, but i think we all can agree that we had a good amount.

Also, someone with all the Carcharodontosaurids, which one has the most fine detail? And is the Mapusaurus a stable durable? figure

Sim

Also, what the heck is an Alorotitan?

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on April 19, 2023, 10:27:36 PMI guess it depends on the person. I dont have anything against Carcharodontosaurids, but i think we all can agree that we had a good amount.

Also, someone with all the Carcharodontosaurids, which one has the most fine detail? And is the Mapusaurus a stable durable? figure

if u only want one , get the meraxes gigas, its the most scientificly accurate since we have most of it, stands best and paint is georgeos in hand. Mapu and gigan are similar . Mapu is bigger and cheaper ( and stable when it feels like it), idk the giga has a weird charm i cant escape however. All of them should use support rod and stick on tape/ gum though ( paint rubs of supereasy by falls

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Sim on April 19, 2023, 10:30:53 PMAlso, what the heck is an Alorotitan?

My bad i confuse Olorotitan and tyrannotitan , alorotitans a russian hadrosaur

Btw i do agree its madness we didnt get ANY eodromaosaur by pnso ( microraptor wont count its old and fugly) they kinda hate that whole group seemingly ( prob cause feathers and birdlike)

Sim

Is the hadrosaur you're thinking of Olorotitan?

Sim

With regards to eudromaeosaurs, Microraptor isn't one.  I do think PNSO's Microraptor aren't good.  PNSO has improved a lot since then though and I'd like them to make dromaeosaurids.  PNSO has made a number of videos on dromaeosaurids and they've released wonderfully feathred Yutyrannus, Deinocheirus and Therizinosaurus, the last two being birdlike, so to me it doesn't seem like they dislike dromaeosaurids for being feathered and birdlike...

Bread

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on April 19, 2023, 10:27:36 PMI guess it depends on the person. I dont have anything against Carcharodontosaurids, but i think we all can agree that we had a good amount.

Funny enough, I actually think we could use another. Concavenator
Hopefully with lips...

I'd say the Meraxes is the best of the bunch. Personally I find the coloration and just overall stance of the model to be impressive and puts a sort of "being dominant" presence on your shelf.

As avatar_TheImmortalEye @TheImmortalEye had said, all should be using their support rod. I've seen everyone state that all these Carcharodontosaurs do not stay stable. Also welcome to the forum TheImmortalEye!

Lynx

Maybe they'll feature lips, thus why it's been a little while since they've released a model! With the paper out, one can hope.
An oversized house cat.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Lynx on April 20, 2023, 12:52:19 AMMaybe they'll feature lips, thus why it's been a little while since they've released a model! With the paper out, one can hope.

The Problem with Pnso and lips is they truly do believe dinos didnt had lips, the artist made multiple points to that why they believe dinos didnt had them in their view. Their new artwork all features lipless theropods , even lipless hadrosaurs despite being wayyy less likely etc. So its prob wont happen

I dont care too much since debate is heated and like tullimonstrum theres arguments on both sides .

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Sim on April 19, 2023, 10:50:51 PMWith regards to eudromaeosaurs, Microraptor isn't one.  I do think PNSO's Microraptor aren't good.  PNSO has improved a lot since then though and I'd like them to make dromaeosaurids.  PNSO has made a number of videos on dromaeosaurids and they've released wonderfully feathred Yutyrannus, Deinocheirus and Therizinosaurus, the last two being birdlike, so to me it doesn't seem like they dislike dromaeosaurids for being feathered and birdlike...

I just mentioned microraptor cause its the only thing close to eodromaosaurs they made , the deal with pnso and feathers is weird. They did do them , but mainly with species that its basicly impossible to argue they didnt have feathers or are depicted so in most paleocontent. Whenever they can they fall back to scales and scutes like tyrannosaurs and others

It could be other factors too though , maybe its the scale their worried about , they would have to change from 1:35 back to irregular fit the box scale for them , or they wait for smth . It is strange however they never even tried to make a mini or smth of velociraptor since its so popular

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: