News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World (Various): New for 2022

Started by GojiraGuy1954, November 13, 2021, 10:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobs

I was able order the Maise/Beta/Lysto set from target.com
Got it today!   Didnt think I would see this set in the US

Its still available there too.
https://www.target.com/p/jurassic-world-dominion-maisie-38-velociraptor-39-beta-39-figures-3pk/-/A-84794329

Blade-of-the-Moon

At this point why not just resculpt the whole thing, paint it and sell it?

Gwangi

The replacement feet alone cost $32.42. The head isn't on his Etsy shop so I have no idea how much that costs but combined with the feet I'm certain that they cost significantly more than the HC T. rex does alone. And of course you have to paint them. He does great work, I know he has his fans, but I just don't get it. His replacement Velociraptor head and feet also costs $32.42 while the figure itself costs $15. If you're replacing so much of the original figure why bother buying the figure at all? Next he'll make a replacement torso, tail, and arms. Then you can have an HC dinosaur without any of its original parts, kind of like a "restored" car where the only original part is the frame.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on April 22, 2023, 01:17:21 PMThe replacement feet alone cost $32.42. The head isn't on his Etsy shop so I have no idea how much that costs but combined with the feet I'm certain that they cost significantly more than the HC T. rex does alone. And of course you have to paint them. He does great work, I know he has his fans, but I just don't get it. His replacement Velociraptor head and feet also costs $32.42 while the figure itself costs $15. If you're replacing so much of the original figure why bother buying the figure at all? Next he'll make a replacement torso, tail, and arms. Then you can have an HC dinosaur without any of its original parts, kind of like a "restored" car where the only original part is the frame.

I guess it has it's appeal to some, I mean he keeps making them after all lol

I looked at the feet once and decided it wasn't really that big of an issue to me vs cost and labor. Maybe some day if I have plenty of time and nothing else to do I might consider replacing parts. I'm also not sure if they are as durable as the original pieces? 3D printed parts usually aren't. Might as well buy an Artic figures JP Rex.

Eocarcharia

Quote from: Gwangi on April 22, 2023, 01:17:21 PMThe replacement feet alone cost $32.42. The head isn't on his Etsy shop so I have no idea how much that costs but combined with the feet I'm certain that they cost significantly more than the HC T. rex does alone. And of course you have to paint them. He does great work, I know he has his fans, but I just don't get it. His replacement Velociraptor head and feet also costs $32.42 while the figure itself costs $15. If you're replacing so much of the original figure why bother buying the figure at all? Next he'll make a replacement torso, tail, and arms. Then you can have an HC dinosaur without any of its original parts, kind of like a "restored" car where the only original part is the frame.

The dinosaur of Theseus

Eatmycar

He definitely knows his market...

I think it's ridiculous though. The HC rex isn't perfect, but as many have said, why not just buy a Marco Makes rex at that point? The details don't blend seamlessly with the HC rex and no matter how much paint you slather on, its clear that the design does not work with the body/tail detailing on the rest of the body. There is no transition. it's just... Marco and Mattel, slapped together and it looks jarring.

I agree the feet are an issue on the Hammond line and the teeth could be sharper, the eyes on Rex weren't perfect, but my goodness. At this point, just sell your own instead of attention seeking by bashing this line.

I also sincerely doubt (and don't want to find out) the longevity of 3D printed resins.

Bread

Quote from: Gwangi on April 22, 2023, 01:17:21 PMNext he'll make a replacement torso, tail, and arms. Then you can have an HC dinosaur without any of its original parts, kind of like a "restored" car where the only original part is the frame.
Maybe it is because I am a car enthusiast who appreciates restorations and some left alone as described as a "survivor" but there is a lot more to restoring the car where the only original part is the frame. Sometimes the frame alone can be worth thousands of dollars and once the car is restored or "retro-modded" the build can be worth entirely way more, it just depends. Let alone these cars in need of restoration are rare.

This however, more so is the practice of improving the item based on the users desire. I mean do these even resell for a large price? I can see the HC figure being more expensive down the line than this "modification" parts.

Eatmycar

I think ones with good eyes and intact gums/tongue might fetch a good penny down the line...

but that also depends on how far Mattel takes Hammond Collection imho.

Gwangi

I can't imagine the modded figures being worth more than the official, original product. Even if they look better. That's one reason why I have no interest in modifying my figures or repainting them. I'm not really interested in their resale value but who knows, my kids might be. But at the end of the day I want the Hammond Collection T. rex, flaws and all, not a Frankenstein figure.

Eatmycar

Exactly. The one thing I wouldn't mind would honestly be replacement tails? I am concerned for the longevity of the rubber on some of these guys. But making tails isn't as sexy as attention seeking with a new head I guess.

Thialfi

I really don't care all that much about Mattel figures, but the way he was ripping that head apart in that video even made me cringe. All this modding comes a pretty high risk of destroying your figure.

Stegotyranno420

I apologize but many of these comments against him dont understand what his goal is and his present situation is either.

Bread

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on April 24, 2023, 03:08:56 AMI apologize but many of these comments against him dont understand what his goal is and his present situation is either.
I think it is more so the criticism for the price of the enhancement(s). I think a good point brought to this discussion was that the price for the parts cost more than double the actual figure, which seems quite high. Plus the artist can maneuver his prices as they want due to low competition, from what I can tell.

Prehistory Resurrection

Prehistory Resurrection

For those who haven't gotten an opportunity to snap up the Hammond Collection T-Rex yet, well here's a sweet deal for you; it's on 37% discount; from $53.99 to $33.99, on sale for its lowest price yet;
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NZGZPKH/ref=cm_sw_r_as_gl_api_gl_i_39KD5TVMQDECHWX9JY2D?linkCode=ml1&tag=collectjura06-20

CityRaptor

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on August 31, 2023, 09:06:57 AM

Marco wants your money. You know, the Kickstarter would have been cheaper.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Prehistory Resurrection

To a certain extent, I agree. But I must say that I admire his dedication for the fan base by producing screen accurate offerings. I think we must respect the work and dedication of independent artists for the fan community.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm still waiting on the Corythosaurus I ordered from his Etsy, I know he's had issues with moving, workspace, ect but he has time to make new items and still no shipping notice?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: