News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World (Various): New for 2022

Started by GojiraGuy1954, November 13, 2021, 10:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Glad it helped, even if it wasn't exactly what you were looking for. Possible some regions are having better luck then others with this sort of stuff.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Eocarcharia

If anyone needs a Massive Action Ampelosaurus at half price, come to my local Target.
Spoiler

Do you think they ordered enough? I'm not sure... (These were three separate end caps.)

+ bonus hoard of T. Rexes and Mosasaurs

[close]

Faelrin

avatar_Eocarcharia @Eocarcharia I can't recall seeing any of them in my local stores? Maybe had a few though and I just don't remember. They mostly had the Siamosaurus on the other hand (still behind on picking one of those up). I imagine stuff is being clearanced to make way for the new stuff.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It all depends on stock received. Ours had a ton of the trucks but nothing else.

Remko

I generally don't buy these kinds of toys anymore (still have a large pack of Kenner Dilophosaurs, Velociraptors and Pteranodons from the original line), but I just bought the Mega Action Quetzalcoatlus and am pretty pleased with it.
It's nice and big, functional flapping wings. Just a cool figure.

Prehistory Resurrection

Marco Makes' 1st Episode on how the Mattel Hammond Collection figures should look like. This episode features the Parasaurolophus, the Baryonyx and the Ceratosaurus. I feel that for the price tag, they could definitely be better in the ways mentioned in the video.

MLMjp

Honestly, this is nitpicking. His previous complaints about the Velociraptors are more than justified as the HC raptor shouldn't had just been JW raptors with JP colors, Mattel should have at least made a JP1 head and give it smaller feet.

The head on the Para is too wide, I will also give it that.

But the Bary and Cerato are perfectly fine, his edits feel completely unnecessary.

While they are some things where Mattel should definitely put more effort and/or change (big feet, using JW sculpts repainted with JP colors instead of re-sculpting them) as much as this is technically a collectors line, these are still toys, and for the price, I don't think we can expect absolute perfection and supper dupper screen accuracy.

Paleo Flo

The only one of the HC which is on my watchlist is Rexy :))
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Eatmycar

Quote from: MLMjp on January 07, 2023, 12:21:18 AMHonestly, this is nitpicking. His previous complaints about the Velociraptors are more than justified as the HC raptor shouldn't had just been JW raptors with JP colors, Mattel should have at least made a JP1 head and give it smaller feet.

But the Bary and Cerato are perfectly fine, his edits feel completely unnecessary.

While they are some things where Mattel should definitely put more effort and/or change (big feet, using JW sculpts repainted with JP colors instead of re-sculpting them) as much as this is technically a collectors line, these are still toys, and for the price, I don't think we can expect absolute perfection and supper dupper screen accuracy.

Seriously, it's nitpicking at its finest. It's awfully funny though that this exists to just Get people annoyed with their figures. And how convenient that he and Rod sell replacement parts.

Gwangi

Quote from: MLMjp on January 07, 2023, 12:21:18 AMHonestly, this is nitpicking. His previous complaints about the Velociraptors are more than justified as the HC raptor shouldn't had just been JW raptors with JP colors, Mattel should have at least made a JP1 head and give it smaller feet.

I agree. The only real issue I have out of those he listed is with the Para head. But, just like Mattel is in the business of making toys, he is in the business of nitpicking them and making expensive replacement parts that cost more than the toy itself. That's not to say he doesn't do good work but I've seen it where people have replaced so much of the HC Velociraptor that it makes you wonder why they bought it to begin with. For the torso and tail? I guess?

Faelrin

I watched it, and while some of it may be nitpicking, I do think some of the criticisms of the goofy oversized teeth, huge feet, and short tails (which plague the mainline), and other details inaccurate to the source material, should be called out for what is a collectors line of figures, with a higher price point then the mainline.

Here's a number of issues I've have with them in fact:

Spoiler
Ankylosaurus (judging from the promo pics, and Beyond the Gates sample):
* Missing the markings on the legs (and no claw paint, budget cuts for the tail articulation perhaps?)
* Sculpt is still JW based

Ceratosaurus:
* Coloration is a bit derivative from the source material, should be pink not red, etc
* Those goofy oversized teeth

Dilophosaurus:
* Should have round pupils
* Maybe the missing white markings and paint on the tail (which are clearly paint budget cuts)

Gallimimus:
* Not even the correct design (marketed as the JP version). It's based on the JW viral website design, which isn't even the same as the JW film design either

Geosternbergia (judging from the promo pics, and Beyond the Gates sample):
* No pycnofibers like on the original SWS maquette and concept art

Parasaurolophus:
* Wide head
* Inaccurate digits on both hands and feet (compared with the original TLW SWS maquette)
* JW film coloration, despite being marketed as TLW version (not really an eyesore like the others but worth addressing)

Pachycephalosaurus (judging from the in box pic):
* Incorrect color, and wrong shape for the blue markings

Triceratops:
* No mouth articulation

Tyrannosaurus:
* Only 3 posing options for the mouth
* Huge feet

Velociraptor (JP version):
* JW Blue head sculpt as before with the AC figures
* Huge feet

Velociraptor (JPIII female version, judging from the promo pics):
* Huge feet
* Coloration looks a bit off, maybe the head sculpt too (need in hand pics to get a better idea)

Velociraptor (JPIII male version):
* Huge feet
* Quills wrong shape
* Paint apps pretty poorly done
[close]

I do like the line overall, but I suppose that's also the lack of competition when it comes to having highly articulated figures of the JP&JW animals, something I've been wanting for way too many years now. I honestly wish a company like Neca or another was given the license for this particular collector's line of figures. I think they would have done much better with representing the source material, then Mattel has done so far. I do think some more attention to detail should be taken to make these even better. Glaring sculpt issues like the lack of pycnofibers on the Geosternbergia sculpt should not have made it into the production stage, and should have been addressed, when these figures are marketed as being film accurate.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Para head should have been an obvious easy that was fairly easy to fix.  Big feet? Yeah but what else is new?

Neca would have been charging 30-50 for a figure about the Paras size and the joints very likely would have broken..it's a common issue with Neca. Doesn't stop me buying them but I mostly leave them in box.

CityRaptor

That video can be summoned up as "BUY MY STUFF!"
And unless someone professionally paints that stuff, it will end up looking a lot worse than the original.

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Carnoking

I'm pretty satisfied with Mattel's work overall with the Hammond Collection, barring a few egregious design choices that are hard to overlook (beehive para head is absolutely atrocious for a "collector's line"). Even so, I'd be hard pressed to say Marco's work isn't an obvious improvement. Indeed, the grass is always greener.

Faelrin

Never noticed anything was wrong with the Triceratops prior (other then the lack of jaw articulation). Still one of their best honestly. The T. rex on the other hand had numerous issues (the poorly done glass eyes, the huge feet, limited jaw articulation), but I suppose the head shape is one more to add to the pile. Honesty though something felt off with it to me for a while. His before and after really shows the "why" it felt off to me.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I keep looking at these replacement parts , I even add them to my cart on Etsy but then I think about it and..well..I just don't care that much..yet.  lol It sounds lazy maybe but I just paid for this figure then I want to add a 30.00 custom piece to it and then paint it. Maybe one day when I'm that bored and thinking about upgrading them I will look into it.

Eatmycar

His videos are literally just advertising to buy his replacements. That's all I feel at this point.

Meanwhile, rather than addressing actual issues with the line like appalling QC, the longevity of rubber tails, and other things... he's just peddling his and Syrett Tech's replacement parts that, for the most part, won't look good on your figure unless you know how to paint/replace the pieces effectively or are willing to commission someone else to do it.

Good on him, I guess, but he just seems really whiny at this point.

CityRaptor

Quote from: Eatmycar on February 05, 2023, 07:36:56 AMthe longevity of rubber tails

Probably because that could cause people to question the longevity of his own Rubbersaurs.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

Some of the HC figures clearly have issues, the head on the Para is an obvious example. But for the most part, none of them are egregious enough for me to care. For what you're paying for all the toys are a close enough approximation to their film counterparts that they suffice, and minor inaccuracies are easy enough for me to overlook. They all look considerably better and more screen accurate than any other Jurassic Park action figures we've gotten over the last 30 years. Things like the shape of the T. rex head I never even noticed, and I've been a fan of the movie and seen it countless times since its release. I have no interest in paying more for a replacement part that I would have to paint (badly, I might add) than what the entire figure costs. I guess there's a market for everything though, and he found his niche. He appears to be good at what he does. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: