News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on June 11, 2023, 04:57:37 PMLooking at the profile view on this group of photos, this PNSO reminds me a bit of the CollectA version.  PNSO doesn't normally model theropods with their heads looking up like this.

My guess is that PNSO and CollectA were both inspired by the official skeletal reconstruction that is posed with its head up, Lythronax is A:

Image from Wikipedia.

Gwangi

These are some of the dullest paint jobs I've ever seen. Why on Earth would
I want to buy four brown models of virtually identical animals. At least the last batch of theropods had interesting and varied paint jobs. I was excited about a tyrannosaur series from PNSO but this is boring.

Eatmycar

I don't hate the idea of leopard spots on a Tyrannosaur, but, ugh, this is just another boring scheme on a boring model. Say what you will about BoTM being "unrealistic" (again, subjective as we don't have dead Tyrannosaurids to look at), but at least they've got character and presence. All of these PNSO Tyrannosaurs look the same in the worst way possible.

I look forward to seeing Haolonggood overtaking PNSO if this is the future of this company, especially after that abysmal Albertosaurus that will most likely stand as well as Caroline the Corythosaurus.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Eatmycar on June 12, 2023, 07:18:15 PMI don't hate the idea of leopard spots on a Tyrannosaur, but, ugh, this is just another boring scheme on a boring model. Say what you will about BoTM being "unrealistic" (again, subjective as we don't have dead Tyrannosaurids to look at), but at least they've got character and presence. All of these PNSO Tyrannosaurs look the same in the worst way possible.

I look forward to seeing Haolonggood overtaking PNSO if this is the future of this company, especially after that abysmal Albertosaurus that will most likely stand as well as Caroline the Corythosaurus.

Jeez someones got an axe to grind, also the albertosaurus is a render , it actually can stand as both its legs are on ground in prototype, it also might be lazy but not abysmal, its accurate just a bit bland and uninspired.

suspsy

I'm actually glad that these tyrannosaurids are lipless and painfully dull in coloration because it makes me even less inclined to shell out for any of them. The Safari Albertosaurus and Daspletosaurus are way more attractive anyway, and CollectA will probably tackle Gorgosaurus eventually.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: JohannesB on June 12, 2023, 04:58:35 PMWell, I got myself Cameron the Tyrannosaurus. I love the sheer bulk of this model, and also the finer skin detail. But I will not be as happy with it as I was when I got the latest Wilson (I still find it wonderful, even if it has its flaws), but Cameron will fit better with PNSO's Triceratops because of its finer skin detail. Although indeed the skin on "Winter Wilson" adds a nice point of visual and tactile interest. The paint app on Cameron (mainly teeth, and possibly eyes) does seem to be less fine than on my "Winter Wilson", which has an impeccable application of paint detail. I'll probably touch up some of the details, mainly the teeth.
Congratulations on your purchase!  I plan to get one eventually too, probably during the big Black Friday sales.  But for now, that Cameron money is going towards buying up all of these smaller less expensive Tyrannosaur figures that I've been looking forward to for a good while now.

And I agree with the guys that PNSO should have done better with the schemes on these.  But the application of the paints look to be high grade and with a little tinkering here and there these can be made to look really different from one another without doing a full repaint.

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on June 12, 2023, 11:46:39 AMI had a thought... what if after this tyrannosaur streak, PNSO releases a new Yangchuanosaurus for the Museum Line... and that meant the start of a streak of (non-Carcharodontosauridae) allosauroids? As boring as it may result to some, I don't think I'd skip a new Yangchuanosaurus or Asfaltovenator. Or we might see a new Museum Line Spinosaurus and something like a Baryonyx after it?
Ohh I like your speculations! :))  PNSO has made so many allosauroids that there isn't much left for another streak of them.  They could re-do Yangchuanosaurus and make Asfaltovenator and that's it for genera with good remains excluding carcharodontosaurids.  If carcharodontosaurids are not excluded, there's Concavenator too...  Personally I wouldn't like PNSO to make more allosauroids soon, they've done so many and that group is almost full to the brim with good figures when including those by other companies too.  Also, I'm very happy with my PNSO Yangchuanosaurus and I don't think I would replace it with a newer lipless version.
A spinosaurid streak would definitely interest me on the other hand!  I would like a 1:35 adult Spinosaurus and I would be interested in a Riparovenator, Ceratosuchops and even Baryonyx or Irritator!  I just hope PNSO would avoid the species without skull remains or that are most likely synonyms (e.g. Oxalaia).

JohannesB

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on June 12, 2023, 08:13:26 PM
Quote from: JohannesB on June 12, 2023, 04:58:35 PMWell, I got myself Cameron the Tyrannosaurus. I love the sheer bulk of this model, and also the finer skin detail. But I will not be as happy with it as I was when I got the latest Wilson (I still find it wonderful, even if it has its flaws), but Cameron will fit better with PNSO's Triceratops because of its finer skin detail. Although indeed the skin on "Winter Wilson" adds a nice point of visual and tactile interest. The paint app on Cameron (mainly teeth, and possibly eyes) does seem to be less fine than on my "Winter Wilson", which has an impeccable application of paint detail. I'll probably touch up some of the details, mainly the teeth.
Congratulations on your purchase!  I plan to get one eventually too, probably during the big Black Friday sales.  But for now, that Cameron money is going towards buying up all of these smaller less expensive Tyrannosaur figures that I've been looking forward to for a good while now.

And I agree with the guys that PNSO should have done better with the schemes on these.  But the application of the paints look to be high grade and with a little tinkering here and there these can be made to look really different from one another without doing a full repaint.

I got Cameron for $65 (free shipping and including tax), which I thought was just within limits of justifiable purchase :P Anyhow, ultimately it is of course all a matter of personal preference and priority.

Joel1905

Quote from: Eatmycar on June 12, 2023, 07:18:15 PMI don't hate the idea of leopard spots on a Tyrannosaur, but, ugh, this is just another boring scheme on a boring model. Say what you will about BoTM being "unrealistic" (again, subjective as we don't have dead Tyrannosaurids to look at), but at least they've got character and presence. All of these PNSO Tyrannosaurs look the same in the worst way possible.

I never thought I'd see someone take brown Tyrannosaurid models so personally...

Joel1905

I gotta say, I'm baffled at how angry people are that these Tyrannosaurid models are duller/more conservatively coloured. Feels a bit nitpicky. I can fully understand frustration over liplessness (I'll be sending these models off to have lips added onto them) but I still think as pieces of art they're amazing, and aside from the liplessness, they're fantastically accurate! And I love that we're getting so many models of under represented genera!

Also we've wanted a top tier company to have a release schedule like PNSO's for years, and people are still complaining. It's only June and they've fleshed out two major Dinosaur families.

If PNSO release 5 Sauropods over the next 5 months, will the reaction be a bit more positive?

ceratopsian

Maybe, J @Joel1905.  I love my sauropods and they aren't as commonly produced as theropods.  However, that said, even if conservatively coloured I'd like more hues than brown.  Not necessarily more hues on each animal, but each animal looking different in base colour from its fellows. There are other conservative colour palettes possible, e.g. based on grey. And despite my love of sauropods (and ornithischians), I still prefer to have a varied line-up.  Even if the end result is the same - for the sake of argument, let's say 5 tyrannosaurs, 5 diplodocids, 5 centrosaurines, and 5 alvarezsaurids over the space of a year - I would prefer them interspersed rather than released in discrete blocks.  There's a great deal in the saying "variety is the spice of life".

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Joel1905 on June 12, 2023, 09:10:47 PMI gotta say, I'm baffled at how angry people are that these Tyrannosaurid models are duller/more conservatively coloured. Feels a bit nitpicky.
If PNSO release 5 Sauropods over the next 5 months, will the reaction be a bit more positive?
The people dont like conservativism anymore.  ;)
But yes, I'd be very exvited for the sauropods. If I knew we would get big yet fairly priced sauropods then I'd hold of the Mapusaurus
avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator I'd also love a Yangchuanosaurus. it is interesting as it is a older theropod yet is larger than most succeeding forms. I heard Yangchuanosaurus rivaled Acrocanthosaurus and torvosaurus is size.

postsaurischian

My guess is that the Lythronax is a great sculpt and beautifully painted :) .  I'll see when I have it in my hands.
        (Usually I'm always right with my guesses)

Gwangi

Quote from: Joel1905 on June 12, 2023, 09:10:47 PMI gotta say, I'm baffled at how angry people are that these Tyrannosaurid models are duller/more conservatively coloured. Feels a bit nitpicky. I can fully understand frustration over liplessness (I'll be sending these models off to have lips added onto them) but I still think as pieces of art they're amazing, and aside from the liplessness, they're fantastically accurate! And I love that we're getting so many models of under represented genera!

Also we've wanted a top tier company to have a release schedule like PNSO's for years, and people are still complaining. It's only June and they've fleshed out two major Dinosaur families.

Depends on the sauropods. If they were nearly identical genera with similar paint apps my reaction would likely be the same.

paleochris

Quote from: Joel1905 on June 12, 2023, 09:10:47 PMI gotta say, I'm baffled at how angry people are that these Tyrannosaurid models are duller/more conservatively coloured. Feels a bit nitpicky. I can fully understand frustration over liplessness (I'll be sending these models off to have lips added onto them) but I still think as pieces of art they're amazing, and aside from the liplessness, they're fantastically accurate! And I love that we're getting so many models of under represented genera!

I agree with that and I've been thinking the same thing. We collectors are becoming more and more exigent (due to PNSO and his quality), even though :
- they're superb figurines, hyper-realistic as most of us want them to be
- The colors are realistic, admittedly a little neutral or "boring" and a little repetitive, but I much prefer that to BOTM-style colors.

So now, let's go back to 2017 or 2018, and would we have had the same reactions to all these new products?

I'm very happy that PNSO is doing "group shots" on the same families. After all, the morphological differences between these species are not colossal, so it's normal for these figurines to resemble each other more or less, but for those who like to have as many species as possible, this is very good news! And what's more, they form a very coherent ensemble. One almost comes to regret that the Tarbosaurus isn't from this generation, or that it hasn't been reworked a little too.

So yes, we hope it'll be the same one day with other dinosaur families or prehistoric animals, and also some more obscure species.

However, I don't understand why you all want lips... I watched a video analyzing the last article on this issue (in french) and NOTHING can prove that these animals had lips. The example of the tooth chosen in the last article can be very easily attacked, as the authors chose just ONE tooth out of the thousands on the panel... Nothing in the fossil record can prove 100% that they had lips, and given the state of knowledge, even with this new article, everyone has the same chance of being right in choosing lips or not.  And when you sum up the latest articles on the subject, there are just as many hypotheses that can go in the direction of lips as the opposite!

Fembrogon

Quote from: Joel1905 on June 12, 2023, 09:10:47 PMI gotta say, I'm baffled at how angry people are that these Tyrannosaurid models are duller/more conservatively coloured. Feels a bit nitpicky.
It's not really any different than the complaints people have had over in the Safari Ltd threads, were it's often lamented how much of their catalog is colored in browns and yellows.
This is also coming on the heels of PNSO's carcharodontosaur trio, which had much more diverse coloration and were instantly distinguishable as a result. For PNSO to release a full run of tyrannosaurs all in basically the same brown tones feels like a step backwards.

postsaurischian

The Tyrannosaurus rex has a blackish brown tone. The Lythronax has orange, yellow & beige colours.
 To say that these colorations were the same is just ... wrong :-[ , sorry.
 And two of the five colour schemata we haven't seen yet.

Lynx

Quote from: paleochris on June 12, 2023, 10:54:32 PM

I agree with that and I've been thinking the same thing. We collectors are becoming more and more exigent (due to PNSO and his quality), even though :
- they're superb figurines, hyper-realistic as most of us want them to be
- The colors are realistic, admittedly a little neutral or "boring" and a little repetitive, but I much prefer that to BOTM-style colors.

So now, let's go back to 2017 or 2018, and would we have had the same reactions to all these new products?

Me personally, I probably would've had an even worse reaction considering the price compared to almost everything else at the time. That aside, I don't see why complaining about PNSO is constantly shed in such a bad light? It's rarely like this for other companies that also get complaints frequently. Both the points you made are based on your own personal opinion. Which is absolutely fine, do not get me wrong! But it's not a one size fits all thing.

Anywho, I think the general Dino toy collectors' opinion of what makes a figure "good" has gotten more niche lately too. But when things get better and better, there is no turning back. If most companies aren't offering the same level of quality as, let's say PNSO, then yeah, reactions are likely gonna be more positive because that kind of quality is rare. But when companies like REBOR, BOTM, HLG, etc are also offering models WITHOUT the issues PNSOs present, of course, complaints are going to be more common. The bar is raised. That is how these things work.

I haven't seen anyone deny that PNSO's models aren't realistic detail-wise or color-wise, but that isn't what people are complaining about.
An oversized house cat.

Bread

Quote from: paleochris on June 12, 2023, 10:54:32 PMHowever, I don't understand why you all want lips... I watched a video analyzing the last article on this issue (in french) and NOTHING can prove that these animals had lips. The example of the tooth chosen in the last article can be very easily attacked, as the authors chose just ONE tooth out of the thousands on the panel... Nothing in the fossil record can prove 100% that they had lips, and given the state of knowledge, even with this new article, everyone has the same chance of being right in choosing lips or not.  And when you sum up the latest articles on the subject, there are just as many hypotheses that can go in the direction of lips as the opposite!
This topic has come up again and again and again...

I as well as many others have provided information for the swayed pushed for lips. Here is the article by Mark Witton who in my opinion best explains it:
http://markwitton-com.blogspot.com/2023/03/new-paper-fresh-evidence-and-novel.html?m=1

I also don't understand why people are so hung up on the one tooth as an example when clearly the main point push for argument for pro-lips was in fact the jaw alignment! Plus what is the need for a further explanation on one tooth being presented in the paper if it does its purpose to be easily explained?

I won't comment further as this topic has been brought up as I have said before...

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 12, 2023, 11:09:59 PMThe Tyrannosaurus rex has a blackish brown tone. The Lythronax has orange, yellow & beige colours.
 To say that these colorations were the same is just ... wrong :-[ , sorry.
 And two of the five colour schemata we haven't seen yet.
I agree regarding Lythronax, but I think it was more so the issue with the new Tyrannosaurus and Daspletosaurus. The Lythronax clearly differentiates from the others.

Gwangi

The Lythronax is the best of the bunch, and the most visually distinctive.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: