News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo 2024 wishes and hopes

Started by Sim, July 10, 2023, 08:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I think Papo has been somewhat forgotten recently due to the unusual poses they've put their dinosaurs in and due to that other sculptor's atrocious figures.  But I think Papo still has potential to make excellent figures and after being delighted by their Kaprosuchus recently I am interested in future Papo figures.  I'd like the following from Papo:

1. Saurosuchus.  Papo's Kaprosuchus is so good, I'd like more crocodilian-line archosaurs from them!

2. Postosuchus.  Same reason as for Saurosuchus.

3. Herrerasaurus.  If Papo felt they need to make it a tripod, they could make just the tip of its long forelimb touch the ground, resulting in a still natural-looking figure.

4. Kelenken.  Papo's usual prehistoric sculptor renders feathers well, so I feel optimistic about a terror bird from Papo.

5. Plateosaurus.  It would be great to have a good Plateosaurus!

6. Shunosaurus.  I find it hard to imagine Papo messing up Shunosaurus.

Stegotyranno420

On the topic of archosaurs, desmatosuchus seems right up papo's alley

marisaura

ngl i've kinda given up on papo dinosaurs lately (outside of the chilesaurus). the wacky poses and over-stylization just aren't for me. their mammals usually haven't been bad though - maybe if they'd be willing to be adventurous and do something outside of the usual pleistocene fare i'd be interested.

Gwangi

Papo's extant animals are still fantastic, just give me more of those. That includes their extant dinosaurs.

SidB

Quote from: marisaura on July 11, 2023, 12:01:44 AMngl i've kinda given up on papo dinosaurs lately (outside of the chilesaurus). the wacky poses and over-stylization just aren't for me. their mammals usually haven't been bad though - maybe if they'd be willing to be adventurous and do something outside of the usual pleistocene fare i'd be interested.
I'd like to see them do a Megatherium - one is really overdue by any company.

Sim

I think a Kentrosaurus from Papo could be great!  Although I would want it to not be bipedal.

SidB

Quote from: SidB on July 11, 2023, 03:09:04 AM
Quote from: marisaura on July 11, 2023, 12:01:44 AMngl i've kinda given up on papo dinosaurs lately (outside of the chilesaurus). the wacky poses and over-stylization just aren't for me. their mammals usually haven't been bad though - maybe if they'd be willing to be adventurous and do something outside of the usual pleistocene fare i'd be interested.
I'd like to see them do a Megatherium - one is reale that ly overdue by any company.
Megatherium could potentially be a figure that Papo could really hit out of the park. Now, if they would only pay the slightest bit of attention to the dreams and wishes of people such as us.

Sim

Given how good the Papo Kaprosuchus is, I hope for a Deinosuchus from Papo!

GojiraGuy1954

I want a good figure at this point I don't really care what species it is
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

EuropaSuchus

Is it wrong to say I kinda wish to them die with dignity and not be suffering from latest bad figures? Oh, Papo, I loved your so much. Jokes aside, I would want:

1) Some big epic theropod carnivore that could match wonderful Ceratosaurus and Allosaurus, not in weird pose like Giga, something more neutral. Torvosaurus would be a good contender because it coexisted with former duo, but more realistic Tyrannosaurus or a new Carnotaurus would be nice too.

2) Some more or less obscure thyreophoran, like Kentrosaurus, Miragaia, Tuojiangosaurus, Edmomtonia, Borealopelta etc.

3) I don't really know what to say. Like above users said, just a good figure is enough from them.

Sim

Tuojiangosaurus seems like a great idea to me!  I'm satisfied with the CollectA Kentrosaurus, but I would like a better Tuojiangosaurus than PNSO's.  Edmontonia also seems like a great choice to me, I expect Papo would make E. rugosidens so it would be nice to have both Edmontonia species, the other being from Haolonggood.

Prehistory Resurrection

Although the wide range of companies now offering JP and JW style collectibles and scientifically accurate figures, Papo has still a special place in my heart. To this day, their JP inspired figures rival/ are on the same level as the offerings from Nanmu, Prime One Studios; among others. For their price, they are really value for money. Sure, they were the reference back in the day and still to this day, at least to me, for non official JP style collectibles and known for their high level of details, but now, they can't seem to stay afloat with their current offerings. 2019 was their peak in my opinion. The only 2021 sculpt which I liked from them is the Stigymoloch.
The current sculpts and poses on their latest figures are not good, but I like a moderate level of stylization, realism and believable poses, as seen with their Acrocanthosaurus, Allosaurus, Ceratosaurus and Pentaceratops.
I really hope they ditch their current sculptor for the latest figures such as the disappointing Protoceratops and the Concavenator and stop with the exagerrated poses as seen with the Giganotosaurus. And also, stop with the overwhelming number of repaints of current sculpts.
Also, as my wish for a new release, I hope they release a Limited Edition scientifically accurate  T-Rex, as is the case with their brilliant 2019 Limited Edition scientifically accurate Spinosaurus. Their prehistoric mammals are also very good, so hope to see more Cenozoics. I do not keep my hopes too high judging by the current offerings but I hope to see more sculpts which are recognizable as Papo's, not Schleich-type figures.

Quiversaurus

Papo's Allosaurus and Ceratosaurus are great entries indeed. If they did more species, any species (hadrosaurs!), in that style, they would be instant buys.

I also wonder if they'll make more marine reptiles, since the recent Mosasaurus and Kronosaurus were actually pretty solid offerings.

Primeval12

I'd honestly like the Tupuxara to be reissued. Other than that, I would maybe like to see a Megaraptoran or maybe an ornithomimosaur. TBH I'm just worried they'll screw it up.

Concavenator

The only dinosaur I can think of right now that I could potentially be interested in from them is Kentrosaurus, but only if they do a good job with it, which seems very unlikely at this point.

SpartanSquat

I hope Mr Seo will comeback to model dinos!
Like concavenator said above, I hope a Kentrosaurus.
Others: Shantungosaurus, Gallimimus, Deinosuchus, Gorgonopsid and why not a prehistoric whale like basilosaurus.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.