News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2024

Started by Faelrin, July 21, 2023, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

I thought it had been proven that Triceratops had scales on its frill, not smooth keratin?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CityRaptor on July 22, 2023, 01:28:21 PMThe first rule of Bite Club is: you do not talk about Bite Club.

Looks like another cutesy, wutesy line, but based on movie scenes. My guess is that Rexy can swallow Gennaro.

Queen Chonk? lol 

You know I liked Snap Squad then they canceled it and I sold most of them. I'm doing my best to avoid Funko but I did get the new Brachio I'm looking to customize.  I did get the mini blind box figures that actually have eyes and the Imaginext minis...I'm pretty full of "cute" JP/JW dinos.

CityRaptor

I currently have 5 "cute" ones:
Funko Mystery Minis: Rexy, Blue
Snap Squad Attitudes: brown Dimorphodon, Mosasaurus, Spinosaurus

I have no interest in the mainline Funkos, since they are more creepy than cute. Although the Brachiosaurus reminds me of the old Topps comics.

The JW movies have spawned quite a few lines of Minis, haven't they?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CityRaptor on July 23, 2023, 12:33:09 AMI currently have 5 "cute" ones:
Funko Mystery Minis: Rexy, Blue
Snap Squad Attitudes: brown Dimorphodon, Mosasaurus, Spinosaurus

I have no interest in the mainline Funkos, since they are more creepy than cute. Although the Brachiosaurus reminds me of the old Topps comics.

The JW movies have spawned quite a few lines of Minis, haven't they?

That they have.

Prehistory Resurrection

A better picture of the upcoming Hammond Collection Dimetrodon. I don't understand its inclusion in the Hammond Collection line when it's a species cloned by Biosyn.

The upcoming Iron Studios one for comparison.

Faelrin

The overbite on the head is a step back from last year's sculpt though (weird shrinkwrapped fenestrae that it didn't have aside). Lack of wrist articulation is a bummer too since the ankles have it. I hope they can alter it based on the feedback out there for it, if isn't too late, and if they notice it, because it definitely could have been better.

Compare to the mainline one:

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

May just have to pop that ugly head off and replace it with a mainline version. I got a few extra floating around after all.

Eatmycar

Hammond Collection is just the name for all of their articulated figures. It's not exclusive to InGen animals.

I'm withholding judgment on this guy until I see it out of the box in hand, but... I'm not elated with it. The lack of wrist articulation is really frustrating though!

ItsTwentyBelow

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on July 24, 2023, 12:55:46 PMI also don't understand its inclusion in the Hammond Collection line when it's a species cloned by Biosyn.

Huh? Seriously, what is this comment? Are you somehow shocked they didn't wait to release this as part of the "Dodgson Collection" instead? Because that name really would have sold, lol! smh

Clearly the term "Hammond Collection" was not intended to reflect that so literally, pretty easy to understand.

Anyway, the HC Dimetrodon is a mixed bag, need to see it in more poses. It should be strictly better than the other sculpt, but here also we see no differentiated teeth...oh well. Its hardly an improvement. Mattel needs better supervision sometimes, they need folks who insist on better sculpts.

CityRaptor

Yep. Technically speaking we already have inclusions that should be called Masrani Collection and Lockwood Collection if we were that strict. Wonder if we ever get Kon Collection, too. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Prehistory Resurrection

Ok, thanks for the clarification guys. Just a
nitpicker who wanted to ask this, lol. I finally understood that the Hammond Collection Line is just a line of articulated, pricier figures of some species in the other lines, irrespective of the company which cloned them. Looking at the mainline Dominion version now, I take back what I said about the HC version being better than the mainline version. The mainline version is better in everything; the sculpt, the detailing and the paint work. It's being judged for now based on the prototype's look but hopefully, it will look better in hands. I also don't get how the feet are articulated but the wrists aren't. Quite disappointed but hopefully, as avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin said, Mattel will correct the mistakes. It's a shame because the HC figures are more expensive and supposedly "better" than the versions in the other lines, but it's the opposite with the Dimetrodon.

Lynx

So far with the Hammond Collection, I've preferred the mainline figure for almost every one
An oversized house cat.

Shane

Quote from: Lynx on July 24, 2023, 03:46:45 PMSo far with the Hammond Collection, I've preferred the mainline figure for almost every one

I was able to grab the HC Brachiosaurus over the weekend, and I gotta say, it's a huge improvement over the Legacy version.

The Legacy version, especially in the head area, seems more based on Crash McCreery's original drawings, whereas the HC is much more rooted in the actual animatronic from the films. The improved articulation is also very cool, especially since it can do the rear-legged stance.

The rubbery neck is kind of a let-down. You can feel there are 3 pivot points along the neck, but the lowest joint doesn't really hold position too well, and it looks kinda wonky in any state other than the default. But considering the Legacy neck doesn't move along the neck at all, it's an improvement.

MLMjp

While I do prefer some mainline over HC for various reason (usually monetary ones), I personally think most of the HC are worthy upgrades over the mainline ones

-JP raptor: prefer the mainline since the head resembles the JP raptors more, HC is just using JW inspired heads and it shows.
-Baryonyx: HC wins, although I personally decided not to get it cause I still like the mainline one, and also because money reasons.
-Parasaurolophus: despite the puffy cheeks, HC wins over mainline.
-Tyrannosaurus: despite issues like legs being longer than they should, huge feet and glass eyes, this big girl is still superior to any mainline T.rex, not by much in some cases though.
-Gallimimus: mainline looks better (the legacy and battle damage mold), the articulation forces the HC one to have exaggerated proportions.
-Ceratosaurus: HC is superior to the mainline one, and I regret not getting it.
-Triceratops: now that the Habitat Defender Triceratops is upon us...mainline wins.
-Dilophosaurus: I guess HC is better than mainline...but it is too big, that's why I didn't get it, and money reasons.
-JP3 raptors(male and female): pick up your poison, both mainline and HC aren't perfect and all have issues, I went for the HC ones.
-Concavenator: HC wins, didn't get it because money reasons.
-Ankylosaurus: bigger and with better colors, HC wins.
-Geosternbergia: HC obliterates the competition.
-Pachycephalosaurus: I'll say HC wins, but not by much, they are almost tied for me.
-Baby Stego: Its a tie for me.
-Baby T.rex: HC has a very poor paint job, mainline wins.
-Corythosaurus: there is no mainline competition...
-Metriacanthosaurus: HC wins, I pray it gets repainted with JW Evolution colors in the future as I want this mold but with those colors, also money reasons again.
-Irritator: HC wins, but why is this dinosaur who is not related to the films at all in this line? that is why I´m not getting it.
-Brachiosaurus: for me, it's a tie, I'm happy my legacy one, and again, money reasons.

I think the smaller figures is where the HC usually falls short (Dimetrodon might be another example), the medium sized ones are usually killers, and the big ones do have issues but overall they are still good.

Flaffy

Quote from: Shane on July 24, 2023, 05:15:18 PMI was able to grab the HC Brachiosaurus over the weekend, and I gotta say, it's a huge improvement over the Legacy version.

The Legacy version, especially in the head area, seems more based on Crash McCreery's original drawings, whereas the HC is much more rooted in the actual animatronic from the films. The improved articulation is also very cool, especially since it can do the rear-legged stance.

The rubbery neck is kind of a let-down. You can feel there are 3 pivot points along the neck, but the lowest joint doesn't really hold position too well, and it looks kinda wonky in any state other than the default. But considering the Legacy neck doesn't move along the neck at all, it's an improvement.

That's good to hear that it's an upgrade! I suspected the same too regarding the head sculpts, they are very obviously based off of different source material.

Is the rubber the same material used on the '93 Real Feel Tyrannosaurus? Or something more durable/fragile? After Rebor's Monty material failure I have been quite wary of getting rubber figures.

Shane

Quote from: Flaffy on July 24, 2023, 06:54:51 PMThat's good to hear that it's an upgrade! I suspected the same too regarding the head sculpts, they are very obviously based off of different source material.

Is the rubber the same material used on the '93 Real Feel Tyrannosaurus? Or something more durable/fragile? After Rebor's Monty material failure I have been quite wary of getting rubber figures.

It's similar to the real feel Mosasaurus/Anniversary T-rex. Not solid rubber with a wire, but a hollow outer rubber-ish (probably actually a flexible plastic) over an internal "skeleton".

I don't anticipate any tearing or deterioration unless you really bend the neck to extremes.

The only other thing I'm not a HUGE fan of is the eye - it's the same sort of glass "follows you" effect as the HC T-rex. But the eye is smaller and darker so it's less effective. But it's not a huge deal since the film Brachios always head dark-ish seeming eyes.

Lynx

That's why it's me personally who prefers the mainline. I'm not tryna apply to everyone, just myself, I tend to like the paint schemes on the mainline better with some exceptions.

Blatantly I dislike the Hammond Collection.
An oversized house cat.

Faelrin

New in box pics of Gryposuchus, Megalosaurus, Ekrixinatosaurus, and Hesperosaurus dropped. Don't have any way to share them sorry.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Galaxy

Gwangi

Ekrixnatosaurus: Not bad. I might get it but it is also very similar to the Skorpiovenator so I'm not sure that I NEED it.
Gryposaurus: Need it.
Megalosaurus: I want it but I don't need it. I have so many Mattel theropods.
Hesperosaurus: Need it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: