News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Large sauropod figures

Started by thomasw100, June 17, 2023, 09:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

I have recently seen some offers of large 1:35 scale sauropods in the Jurassic Zoo Store (aka Lana Time Shop) on Aliexpress. These are offered as pre-orders and both as unpainted an painted variants. Species available are Argentinosaurus, Barosaurus and Maraapunisaurus. They seem to be produced by some studio in China. The pictures show size comparisons with Nanmu Brachiosaurus, which demonstrate that they are really huge. They seem to come in parts and they are probably hollow resin models. Obviously they also come with a hefty price tag. Unfortunately, the pictures do not show the details of the sculpting very well and they do also not show the details of the painting. There are some notes in the offers to contact them first when ordering a painted version, suggesting that it might be possible to discuss the painting style with them or at least to get more detailed pictures of the paint application. My question would be if anyone on this forum has had any experience with this kind of offers, for example what would be the quality of sculpting and paint application?

TooOldForDinosaurs

I suggest checking out this thread here:

https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=7433.msg344460#msg344460

R @Remko posted some pictures of some of those models.  :)

Perotorum

So... I recently completed printing a 1/35 to 1/40 scale version of Nicola Roglic's dreadnoughtus, you can purchase the files for about $9 on my mini factory, and considering that it takes about half a role of filament when scaled up by 180% of its original size, it takes roughly $20 and 3ish days when printing on a Creality Ender 3 v2, and I quite like the result.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Perotorum on July 28, 2023, 06:28:09 PMSo... I recently completed printing a 1/35 to 1/40 scale version of Nicola Roglic's dreadnoughtus, you can purchase the files for about $9 on my mini factory, and considering that it takes about half a role of filament when scaled up by 180% of its original size, it takes roughly $20 and 3ish days when printing on a Creality Ender 3 v2, and I quite like the result.

The link doesn't work.
But I think for 3 days "shipping "(wait)and $29 that is a great deal. Any ideas for painting?

Perotorum

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 28, 2023, 06:55:58 PM
Quote from: Perotorum on July 28, 2023, 06:28:09 PMSo... I recently completed printing a 1/35 to 1/40 scale version of Nicola Roglic's dreadnoughtus, you can purchase the files for about $9 on my mini factory, and considering that it takes about half a role of filament when scaled up by 180% of its original size, it takes roughly $20 and 3ish days when printing on a Creality Ender 3 v2, and I quite like the result.

The link doesn't work.
But I think for 3 days shipping and $29 that is a great deal. Any ideas for painting?
Oh, no, it takes 3 days to print, counting the cost of the file and filament, the sum total cost of materials would be $20, sorry for my lack of clarity, although ever since I got a 3d printer, I have found it the most effective means for expanding my collection, as buying the individual models quickly becomes a much more expensive way of collecting, as one can make a very detailed and massive model in a fairly reasonable time, without spending all too much on the model files or the cost of fillament.
Although, if you do get a 3d printer for the purposes of printing out such models, I strongly recommend you start with an Ender3 and use Cura as a slicer, as both are quite affordable compared to more high end printers, though the long term savings of a printer for collecting models far surpasses the initial cost of getting one.
And as for the paint scheme, though the link is broken, I based off of various agamid lizards. Which due to their diversity, often make great inspirations for paint schemes, especially those in the genus uromastyx.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Perotorum on July 28, 2023, 08:14:46 PM

The link doesn't work.
But I think for 3 days shipping and $29 that is a great deal. Any ideas for painting?
Oh, no, it takes 3 days to print, counting the cost of the file and filament, the sum total cost of materials would be $20, sorry for my lack of clarity, although ever since I got a 3d printer, I have found it the most effective means for expanding my collection, as buying the individual models quickly becomes a much more expensive way of collecting, as one can make a very detailed and massive model in a fairly reasonable time, without spending all too much on the model files or the cost of fillament.
Although, if you do get a 3d printer for the purposes of printing out such models, I strongly recommend you start with an Ender3 and use Cura as a slicer, as both are quite affordable compared to more high end printers, though the long term savings of a printer for collecting models far surpasses the initial cost of getting one.
And as for the paint scheme, though the link is broken, I based off of various agamid lizards. Which due to their diversity, often make great inspirations for paint schemes, especially those in the genus uromastyx.
Nice colours. But by "shipping" I should had more clear, meant it in a analogous sense as in you still need to wait 3 days.
Thanke for the printing advice, I'd probably get one personally in a few years, but for now I can print small models at my library.
Do you have any comparison photos

Perotorum

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on July 28, 2023, 10:16:34 PM
Quote from: Perotorum on July 28, 2023, 08:14:46 PM

The link doesn't work.
Nice colours. But by "shipping" I should had more clear, meant it in a analogous sense as in you still need to wait 3 days.
Thanke for the printing advice, I'd probably get one personally in a few years, but for now I can print small models at my library.
Do you have any comparison photos
Oh, ok, I suppose it would be quite analogous, although, some printers such as the Ender 3 have dropped considerably in price, and as for the photos, I tried to post one, but I currently lack any photos for comparison, but I plan to take a photography trip next week that may provide some good images both for this discussion, and perhaps for my entry into the diorama contest.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.