News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenSx

Quote from: thomasw100 on September 04, 2023, 12:51:44 PM
Quote from: SenSx on September 04, 2023, 10:16:52 AMI was about to send some PNSO figures to Dinosaur Artwork get them lips.
I don't know what to do now, should I wait ?

I would wait and see for a few months. Then it will become obvious if this species with lips will be a singuarity or if they change now to all theropods with lips. Further, you will see if they re-release any of the current species with lips.

That's probably the wiser thing to do, I alwready bout the lipless version with the idea to customize them, bad timing I guess.

Dan

Use promo code "dtfmember" during checkout for
$14.00 off PNSO 2023 Yangchuanosaurus
[ Offer expires today ]
Redeem here:
https://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/pnso/

SidB

Quote from: Bread on September 04, 2023, 05:19:32 PMLanaTimeShop has the Yangchuanosaurus listed as $30.99 with free shipping.

In my opinion this is definitely a better option than the $60 Yangchuanosaurus set. And I wouldn't say the Chungkingosaurus plus a base no one really cared for is worth the additional $30 if you consider the Yangchuanosaurus as a $30 figure.
Thanks for the heads-up, avatar_Bread @Bread , just ordered one.

Brocc21

@Diplodoken did an edit of the Yangchuanosaurus on twitter. Looks far more accurate.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Sim

Isn't the edit just representing a different Yangchuanosaurus specimen, rather than being more accurate?

I don't think PNSO only gave the new Yangchuanosaurus lips because the old one had them, since PNSO didn't give lips to their new Giganotosaurus.

Regarding PNSO remaking their models with lips, I am not keen on them doing that.  I'm happy with my lipless PNSO models and don't want to replace them not long after getting them because of something as minor as lips.  I also would find a parade of lipped versions of theropods they've already made boring.  I already find the new Yangchuanosaurus boring because of how similar it is to their old one.  I think it's most likely going to go as it has previously with the scale size/style, where PNSO mostly made new species with the change (scale size) remaking only a few more popular species.

Stegotyranno420

I now know what it reminds me of.

A muppet!

suspsy

I didn't bother getting any of the 2023 tyrannosaurs due to their price tags. Now I'm even more grateful for that decision.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

mgaguilar

The two things that are preventing me from outright buying a Cameron rex are 1. The discount coupons on the site I use to order their models are no longer available, and 2. Cameron is an incredible model, but it is lacking lips. It would be my definitive if it had lips like the custom that bread posted a while back. That sculpt was insanely beautiful.

Seeing how many theropods they released this year, I'm actually a bit scared that they will release a rex like Cameron next year or the year after with lips. (I am hoping like everyone else that they diversify their line-up next year, which will most likely happen).

Eatmycar

Quote from: SidB on September 04, 2023, 01:44:21 PMWhy??? is the big question in this matter for me. After doubling down consistently and insisting on the lipless approach, I really am curious as to why PNSO took this new path. Admittedly, they've done lipped figures at the beginning of their run, but they've seemed impervious to pro-lip argumentation ever since. What could have changed their approach? I'm skeptical that any critique on our part would have had any effect. We are a small fish in the large market pond after all.

I sincerely wonder if their insistence on no lips was to justify the release of the animals since the lip study. From a business perspective, I imagine that scrapping all of the figures that have come out since that paper would be a sunk cost on their end, and they just didn't feel comfortable with essentially throwing away all of their molds and starting anew.

I also think that while you and I don't have much impact on PNSO directly, I imagine Haollonggood is on their radar, and they're incredibly receptive and reactive to criticism (again, the Ouranosaurus claw fix comes to mind).

SidB

Quote from: Eatmycar on September 05, 2023, 02:49:56 AM
Quote from: SidB on September 04, 2023, 01:44:21 PMWhy??? is the big question in this matter for me. After doubling down consistently and insisting on the lipless approach, I really am curious as to why PNSO took this new path. Admittedly, they've done lipped figures at the beginning of their run, but they've seemed impervious to pro-lip argumentation ever since. What could have changed their approach? I'm skeptical that any critique on our part would have had any effect. We are a small fish in the large market pond after all.

I sincerely wonder if their insistence on no lips was to justify the release of the animals since the lip study. From a business perspective, I imagine that scrapping all of the figures that have come out since that paper would be a sunk cost on their end, and they just didn't feel comfortable with essentially throwing away all of their molds and starting anew.

I also think that while you and I don't have much impact on PNSO directly, I imagine Haollonggood is on their radar, and they're incredibly receptive and reactive to criticism (again, the Ouranosaurus claw fix comes to mind).
Yes, HLG is doubtless an emerging force to which they simply must pay attention - good point. As for the possibility of their choosing not to be saddled with unusable designs, but to release them anyways ... hmmm, it's sure possible, hadn't considered it, but it's as good a possibility as any right now. Kinda cynical, I suppose though, if true.

John

Some perspective on why "lips" are now suddenly once again appearing on a theropod dinosaur from PNSO:
By the time the latest paper on the subject that gave the best case yet in favor of theropods having "lips" came out,many of the theropod dinosaurs that were in the pipeline had already been completed.The Yangchuanosaurus is apparently the first one that was early enough in the design phase for them to incorporate the findings of that study.
Incidently,I personally find it highly unlikely that we will simply see a rerun of the past years' theropod dinosaurs with slight tweaks to their mouths instead of anything new for the next year or two.Of the latest string of theropods,we may see a lipped Tyrannosaurus rex based another specimen,like maybe "Scotty" or something like that at most. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Quiversaurus

avatar_John @John Yes, perhaps a true Wilson 3.0, as opposed to a Cameron 2.0.

QuoteBy the time the latest paper on the subject that gave the best case yet in favor of theropods having "lips" came out,many of the theropod dinosaurs that were in the pipeline had already been completed.The Yangchuanosaurus is apparently the first one that was early enough in the design phase for them to incorporate the findings of that study.

I do agree with this too ^. Gives me hope for some species that haven't been released yet (like Herrerasaurus), sauropods, and perhaps other older theropods like their Qianzhousaurus and their Carnotaurus.

SidB

Quote from: John on September 05, 2023, 05:46:55 AMSome perspective on why "lips" are now suddenly once again appearing on a theropod dinosaur from PNSO:
By the time the latest paper on the subject that gave the best case yet in favor of theropods having "lips" came out,many of the theropod dinosaurs that were in the pipeline had already been completed.The Yangchuanosaurus is apparently the first one that was early enough in the design phase for them to incorporate the findings of that study.
Incidently,I personally find it highly unlikely that we will simply see a rerun of the past years' theropod dinosaurs with slight tweaks to their mouths instead of anything new for the next year or two.Of the latest string of theropods,we may see a lipped Tyrannosaurus rex based another specimen,like maybe "Scotty" or something like that at most. :)
I have to agree with you. avatar_John @John . For that reason I'm glad that I've sent out my PNSO Daspletosaurus and Lythronax to Bravo Models in Mexico to have lips added. I really doubt that we'll see new lipped tyrannosaurids, excepting T-rex and maybe the older Qianzhousaurus from them in the foreseeable future. TBH, I willing to live with this (what more can one do), since I'm able to pay for theaddition of lips to their tyrannosaurids and as far as their other theropods are concerned, I just tell myself that they didn't need lips because their teeth were short-term replaceable (like Ceratosaurus' and Allosaurus' rate of approximately 100 days and Majungasaurus at 56, nothing like the 700+ of Tyrannosaurus). This is blatant rationalizing, likely enough (though it MAY prove to be empirically true, eventually), but it's good enough now for me.

Eatmycar

I'd bet on a lipped T. rex sooner rather than later, frankly. I imagine we'll see one by the end of 2024.

T. rex sells for better or worse. Mattel pumps them out. PNSO's own Tyrannosaur run (including an unnecessary T. rex), Rebor's fixation on the big guy, etc...

Sim

Cameron wasn't an unnecessary Tyrannosaurus.  PNSO's Wilsons looked like zombies and there wasn't a featherless Tyrannosaurus available that looked like a real animal.  Cameron is the first excellent Tyrannosaurus figure.

Lynx

Quote from: Sim on September 05, 2023, 04:07:14 PMCameron wasn't an unnecessary Tyrannosaurus.  PNSO's Wilsons looked like zombies and there wasn't a featherless Tyrannosaurus available that looked like a real animal.  Cameron is the first excellent Tyrannosaurus figure.

What is the issue (with realism) with Kiss and Tusk which were released beforehand, besides possibly oversized scales?
An oversized house cat.

Bread

Quote from: Lynx on September 05, 2023, 04:09:22 PM
Quote from: Sim on September 05, 2023, 04:07:14 PMCameron wasn't an unnecessary Tyrannosaurus.  PNSO's Wilsons looked like zombies and there wasn't a featherless Tyrannosaurus available that looked like a real animal.  Cameron is the first excellent Tyrannosaurus figure.

What is the issue (with realism) with Kiss and Tusk which were released beforehand, besides possibly oversized scales?

Kiss/Tusk has over exaggerated muscles.

Leyster had pointed this out, I believe in the Controversial Dinosaur Toys thread. I took it as not so much a big deal, but with his work and explanation it really is an issue that shouldn't be overlooked.

Eatmycar

What exactly does Cameron bring to the table? It has got a better pose, barely, but it isn't exactly perfect. The Winter Wilson was very well received until Cameron overturned it (4.5 stars on the blog right now, with only 57 votes) and I say this as someone who isn't adoring PNSO's products.

Lynx

Quote from: Bread on September 05, 2023, 04:16:39 PM
Quote from: Lynx on September 05, 2023, 04:09:22 PM

Kiss/Tusk has over exaggerated muscles.

Leyster had pointed this out, I believe in the Controversial Dinosaur Toys thread. I took it as not so much a big deal, but with his work and explanation it really is an issue that shouldn't be overlooked.

Thank you!
An oversized house cat.

Sim

The thing about Kiss and Tusk that doesn't look realistic to me is the black around their eyes that makes them look like they are evil or like the eyes are in dark craters.  I know there are extant animals with black around their eyes but I've never seen any that look like what Kiss and Tusk have.  I concede that this might be subjective though.

I also find the poses of their legs strange when seen from the front, it doesn't look natural to me.  This might be subjective too.

Regarding what Cameron brings, it also has more realistic scales and doesn't have the awful crocodilian oral margin that the last Wilson had.  If you looked at that Wilson from above, you could also see the back of the jaw not being connected to the head, Cameron doesn't have that problem.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: