News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on September 10, 2023, 09:02:47 AMIndeed, it would have been good to have an update of the old Carnegie Saltasaurus. And that's a good point T @thomasw100 makes on the paucity of completely known dinosaurs. 
Normally I would have thought that Safari itself would have done an upgrade of the old Carnegie model during their run of such in the last half-dozen or so years, but I believe that their Malawisaurus filled that role for them.

SidB

Quote from: thomasw100 on September 10, 2023, 08:02:31 AMLana Time Shop has the Ampelosaurus now for 44.99 USD with shipping included. This is a bargain for a sauropod model of this size and quality I would say.

https://lanatime-shop.com/collections/new-arrial/products/hao018
Thanks, T @thomasw100 , I just ordered a black one.

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on September 10, 2023, 11:05:32 AMI'm a classicist by training (though not a philosopher).  I think of dinosaur models as being an expression of Plato's Theory of Forms.  What we see is only the shadow cast by firelight in the cave of the true "form".  I'm happy with knowing they are only ever an approximation of reality, to a greater or lesser extent.  For me the key is being aware that they are only an approximation and having some knowledge as to the closeness of that approximation and the extent of their imperfections.
To continue with the cave analogy, in this realm of shadows, we seem fated to live with the perpetual tension between the constant search for the truly excellent (the One, the True, the Good and the Beautiful) and actuality of having to constantly settle for the "good enough". However it does seem that we are capable of an ongoing re-settng of the bar, higher and higher, which we certainly have seen over the last couple of decades or so in the sphere of dinosaur research and collecting. It's a lot of fun!

ceratopsian

Indeed it is S @SidB!  Knowledge is imperfect but striving to improve it brings a lot of joy.

ceratopsian

It's the black one that appeals to me as well. It's that bit out of the ordinary.

Quote from: SidB on September 10, 2023, 12:02:37 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on September 10, 2023, 08:02:31 AMLana Time Shop has the Ampelosaurus now for 44.99 USD with shipping included. This is a bargain for a sauropod model of this size and quality I would say.

thomasw100

Quote from: SidB on September 10, 2023, 12:02:37 PM

I did also order the black one this morning. I like green colors for sauropods in general, but somehow I felt that the brown-red color of the neck would not work well with the green color of the trunk. The only thing I do not like too much on the black are these distinctly white stripes on the tail. But lets see how this will look in hand with some natural light.

Bread

I am indecisive with the Ampelosaurus variants, and of course I don't have room for both. Though luckily the purple Daspletosaurus isn't up for sale yet as this gives me time to ponder this choice of the Ampelosaurus.

JohannesB

[deleted]

Over9K

That Daspletosaurus is odd. Just me, or does the face look like it was sculpted by AI? The scales are very crisp, uniform and symmetrical, not very life-like. They're laid out very specifically, with visible lines between groups of scales. It's not the "grid-pattern" scales REBOR used in the early days, but it is still a bit... off. The overall model is very static and ridged, there's little natural flow, or for the lack of a better term, life. Those colorways tho... gorgeous.

IMO< PNSO and HG both missed the mark with Daspletosaurus with BOTM taking the "Best Das" prize for this round.

TlatolophusJuanorum

If someone hasn't bought the Ampelosaurus yet, MTC is selling it for about 34 USD w/b.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKsX0Ry
Such a drastic change from 47 USD by MOTS.
I hope the Alamosaurus and Edmontosaurus Annectens don't take so long to come out.  ^-^

Tracewyrm!

Haolonggood still seems to be struggling to find their footing with theropods. It's largely a case-by-case basis on if the figure will turn out good. Their Carnotaurus is lovely but I don't think I can get behind this Daspletosaurus' head sculpt. It's a shame, seeing how great the colour scheme is.

But on a positive note, I am definitely looking forward to their Ampelosaurus. I really hope Haolonggood keeps the sauropod train going. Maybe those old Alamosaurus rumors can come to fruition one day.
* (It's locked.)

Bread

Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on September 10, 2023, 09:00:14 PMIf someone hasn't bought the Ampelosaurus yet, MTC is selling it for about 34 USD w/b.
I hope the Alamosaurus and Edmontosaurus Annectens don't take so long to come out.  ^-^
Hot damn! Thank you for the heads up. I wonder why the cheaper price? I've noticed that both My Online Toy Store and Model Toy Center both fluctuate in price between the two for Haolonggood figures.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: Bread on September 10, 2023, 11:11:27 PM
Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on September 10, 2023, 09:00:14 PMIf someone hasn't bought the Ampelosaurus yet, MTC is selling it for about 34 USD w/b.
Hot damn! Thank you for the heads up. I wonder why the cheaper price? I've noticed that both My Online Toy Store and Model Toy Center both fluctuate in price between the two for Haolonggood figures.
Sure, no worries. I think get caught in the tide of hype, buyers will end up paying whatever price we first see. I was in that wave  :-[ so when I realized the cheaper price, I cancelled MOTS and bought the MTC one haha.

Skorpio V.

Whoa!! The Ampelosaurus was a ballsy attempt and I think it works! I loved its blue representation in Dinosaur King growing up but it's a genus I'd be too iffy to lock in on because of its ambiguity.

As for the Daspletosaurus, I think it's pretty good. The body sculpts on their theropods seem very directly inspired by skeletals, at least by their walking poses. Postcranially it looks amazing to me, but the head having larger postorbitals and much smaller lacrimals was a strange choice for Daspletosaurus. This has the bulk I expect for the niche it had.  If it swapped heads with PNSO's, that'd be a slam dunk for me.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Flaffy

Most recent haul of HLG figures!

Will most likely be touching up the Ouranosaurus a bit as the white stripes are unfortunately very faint, along with the mispainted digits.

I was surprised by how detailed the Wuerhosaurus is despite it being so small, I recall some people have expressed that the details aren't very noticeable, but I've found that not to be the case.

Big fan of the wash on Dacentrurus's back, really brings out the individual scales, wish the Ouranosaurus had a wash like this too. Unfortunately my copy has a tail spike with questionable structural integrity on the tip, will have to reinforce it with glue probably.

The Edmontonia is very cute. Despite the weird oral tissue (missing cheek plates?), the overall sculpt is done quite well. Herbivores are clearly HLG's strong suit.

SidB

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy , always appreciate your remarkable attention to detail. I think that your resolution to physically correct minor defects in paint and structure is commendable. Some simply reject an otherwise fine sculpt for such small imperfections. Good for you!

Duna

OMG, I need to catch up with some of these (glad that I didn't buy PNSO daspletosaurus (as daspletosaurus was on my buy list as a species, but I don't like Safari version (indeed all their new theropods, I don't like the feet and stamped integument). I was keeping the carnotaurus because PNSO wouldn't replace it, but now I'm happy to have found a substitute in Haolonggood's new figure and my girls would be happy to have a new toy).
I like that Ampelosaurus too, but my Apatosaurus was lost in transit, I'm so sad about that.

SidB

Quote from: Duna on September 11, 2023, 03:37:38 PMOMG, I need to catch up with some of these (glad that I didn't buy PNSO daspletosaurus (as daspletosaurus was on my buy list as a species, but I don't like Safari version (indeed all their new theropods, I don't like the feet and stamped integument). I was keeping the carnotaurus because PNSO wouldn't replace it, but now I'm happy to have found a substitute in Haolonggood's new figure and my girls would be happy to have a new toy).
I like that Ampelosaurus too, but my Apatosaurus was lost in transit, I'm so sad about that.
Sorry to hear about the loss, avatar_Duna @Duna . I guess that sooner or later that happens to most of us. No recourse, I suppose?

Faelrin

avatar_Duna @Duna Sorry to hear about the loss of that. I'd be pretty frustrated in your shoes. That's not cheap. Is there no way to start an investigation with your local postal service about it?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Leyster

Quote from: Flaffy on September 11, 2023, 02:16:16 PMThe Edmontonia is very cute. Despite the weird oral tissue (missing cheek plates?), the overall sculpt is done quite well. Herbivores are clearly HLG's strong suit.

Apparently the cheek plate is only known in E.rugosidens (from Carpenter, 1990. I couldn't actually find the reference in the text, but I'm litterally sleepwalking right now so I might have missed it).
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: