News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bread

Looks great! Despite the colorscheme...

Flaffy

Far superior to CollectA and Rebor's take. Can be displayed either as its own genus or as an Allosaurus species. I'm thinking if I should bother getting rid of my older PNSO A. jimmadseni or not now.

Faelrin

Sigh, another (edit: mega) theropod, and a very fragmentary one. I suppose it could work as an Allosaurus perhaps. Nice to see the lip trend continue though. Coloration seems pretty boring. Wish we got more like on the Meraxes and Suchomimus.

Edit: This is definitely PNSO's weakest year as far as variety goes. Just mega theropods, most with dull conservative colorations. No oviraptorosaurs, ornithomimosaurs, dromaeosaurids, ornithischians, sauropods, etc.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

thomasw100

Theropod,theropod, theropod and yet again another theropod. OK these are nice figures as such but this singular focus on theropods has reached the point where it is not just frustrating but depressing.

The only tiny hope is that they continue with the lips. This means that if in 2 years they are done with all the theropod species they have in their plan and then after another 2 years when they have redone the theropods they previously made without lips there could perhaps be something else.

Quiversaurus

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy I know your struggle... Their A. jimmadseni is still superb though!

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Agreed, the fragmentary remains is the only thing giving me pause on immediately getting him.

As for the patterns and colourations, it might be a case where the actual patterns/colours look better than the promo images - am thinking of the Lythronax example. Will wait for in-hand pictures and reviews before judging~

Edit: Now the question is, which theropods have they NOT done, instead of which they already have. Waiting for the theropod streak to end...

Carnoking

I suppose this means lips are here to stay. As are theropods and brown paint schemes but that's hardly news.

Carnoking

I actually really like the sculpt, pose, and paint job. Could very well be one of my favorites of the year actually. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see some color variety out of PNSO, but as long as the coloration looks good on its own, I can get over it.

Lynx

Shockingly I really like this figure, which is a first ever since the theropod surge came! Might try and get it actually depending on the price. Nice to see a good Sauro on the market.
An oversized house cat.

Ambre

Can someone give PNSO more than 3 colors for their theropods please

TheImmortalEye

I do not get the hate for the color, not every release has to ( or should ) be the meraxes. Its subdued and sublte but lifelike and not just brown striping.

Amazing figure, sad the allo without lips looks awkward with him prob

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Ambre on September 25, 2023, 02:27:39 PMCan someone give PNSO more than 3 colors for their theropods please

I understand that people want more color but I do feel like it's getting a bit tired... opinions are opinions and this is just mine but giant carnivores wouldn't be super crazy colored... I know there are ways to implement bright colors in a subtle cool way but honestly as long as the sculpt is accurate and pleasing I am happy :)

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Flaffy on September 25, 2023, 12:43:01 PMFar superior to CollectA and Rebor's take. Can be displayed either as its own genus or as an Allosaurus species. I'm thinking if I should bother getting rid of my older PNSO A. jimmadseni or not now.

Why get rid? They might work well together to show off the genuse/ species

Zephyr2007

Wow, this is an amazing model. I actually think the colors and subtle pattern are beautiful (and very realistic). Colorful theropods look great on the shelf, but if the aim is to be realistic, most were probably pretty brown. Most birds are.

Carlos

Eatmycar

Beautiful, but another ridiculously boring color scheme and palette. Thank Goodness for BoTM, and HLG for actually daring to use any other portions of a color palette. That said, I'm glad to see they're sticking with the lips.

Surprised to see people still hoping for this theropod run to end, especially with Haolonggood here pumping out dynamite piece after dynamite piece. I think DinoScream Reviews had a great theory about this in his latest video (Ampelosaurus), that PNSO had simply produced all of the lipless dinosaurs before the paper and they've been desperate to get them out and to clear inventory of theropods.

Jose S.M.

I actually really like this one. The pose is great and I'm not one to mind colors very much so no wrong for me. Besides I don't plan to get more than 3 or so of all this year's releases so there won't be many repetition color wise. Probably Meraxes, Megalosaurus and this one. Mayyybe Lythronax.

suspsy

As has been the case for a very long time now, I have no desire to acquire this figure. However, it looks absolutely superb. If only the tyrannosaurs had lips!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Ambre

Quote from: oscars_dinos on September 25, 2023, 02:59:11 PM
Quote from: Ambre on September 25, 2023, 02:27:39 PMCan someone give PNSO more than 3 colors for their theropods please

I understand that people want more color but I do feel like it's getting a bit tired... opinions are opinions and this is just mine but giant carnivores wouldn't be super crazy colored... I know there are ways to implement bright colors in a subtle cool way but honestly as long as the sculpt is accurate and pleasing I am happy :)

To be honest, big theropods probably weren't vibrantly colored but all i want is for them to have at least some highlights. For exemple using a brigh blue for the lacrimal horns. Also i feel like companies don't use spots that much. I would love a feathered theropod that use rosettes.
Dont get me wrong this is an amazing model but i feel like the colors just make it a bit boring but maybe it will look better in hand. 

Stegotyranno420

I ignore the invariable whining. "Its brown!" "Its big!" "It eats meat!"

This is a great figure in my heart, and they managed to make lips look good. I appreciate the continuity, and I might get this beast.
One of my favorites, it is well bulked.

Chasmosaurus

Personally, I'm delighted that they've added lips to their figures.
And I think the colors chosen are far from boring.
I'm amazed that they've managed to choose colors so similar and yet so different that you can recognize the figurine at first glance.
This is the case with the carnivorous animals of our time, especially the big cats.
And I'm sure PNSO will end up creating more amazing replicas of creatures like they did with the Atopodentatus.
Man is only interested in what he invents while what surrounds him is made in a much more extraordinary and complex way

Eatmycar

I don't understand how criticizing such a bland coloration is just viewed as whining. It seems dismissive at best

Most of their dinosaurs are simply uncreative in how they apply color and the colors they use, period. Haolonggood doesn't have this issue even with their more conservative color schemes. I don't think the color complaints are asking for something like a Bird of Paradise color palette on a Tyrannosaurus Rex here, but the difference between PNSO's Meraxes or Mapusaurus and the brown tidal wave we've seen this year is night and day.

Regarding big cats, though, I simply don't think it is a fair comparison to make at all. Yes, big mammals are the closest in terms of ecological niche that these dinosaurs would have fit, but let's remember some things - birds see more colors than we can, including UV light. Their world is much more dynamic than ours. The presumption that dinosaurs would be so bland (or even should appear in a human-friendly color palette) is really weird. Another thing, especially for theropod dinosaurs - they are much closer to birds than they ever were to mammals.

Here are four North American birds - two natives, and two immigrants (Monk Parakeets and Pigeons are both imports, with the latter being domesticated. I opted for the ubiquitous pigeon here in NYC, not the white ones or the more ghastly pigeons breeders keep) which thrive in the Northeast, where the world is constantly changing with the seasons. The more vibrant animals have no trouble surviving in our climate at all, even on days when their plumage makes them pop from the surrounding area.

Why is it so outlandish to want more avian color palettes on non-Avian dinosaurs? The dinosaurs we collect are far closer evolutionarily to these animals than they ever were to things like big cats.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: