You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Regarding 2023 Diorama Contest Entry #30 "Tuesday Last"- Comments and Suggestions

Started by Stunt_Kitty_Films, October 20, 2023, 10:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stunt_Kitty_Films

Anyone able to offer comments or helpful suggestions regarding our entry #30 "Tuesday Last"?

We're very appreciative of the votes we got, but clearly the larger community didn't respond as enthusiastically as we had hoped and were wondering where we might have fallen short and could do better for next time? Thank you in advance.

Lynx

I thought it was amazing and don't see any major flaws, but I do think the background is a bit 'flat' compared to the foreground with the figures. I think this probably could've been fixed with some fog/mist in the foreground.
An oversized house cat.

Stunt_Kitty_Films

Quote from: Lynx on October 20, 2023, 11:40:27 PMI do think the background is a bit 'flat' compared to the foreground with the figures. I think this probably could've been fixed with some fog/mist in the foreground.

So mist could change the quality of the Albertosaurus a bit which might make transition into the background smoother. Cool, I'll try it next time.

Federreptil

It's probably a little unfair, but with this voting system the motif is in my personal short list on place 6 or 7. And then my votes are not enough. Because actually the motif does a lot right and a real mistake is not to be recognized. On the contrary, light, point of view and the background are already very well chosen. It's probably little things that have not brought the votes here. In my own contributions to the competition since 2013, however, I also had various contributions that are only bogged down in the midfield, because then obviously something was missing to pull the members here in the forum.

When I am very very strict, there is a slight imbalance between the coloration of the foreground and background. The background is more bluish. This also makes it separate more from the foreground. It would have been perfect if the tree trunks were also implied in the subject. The tip from mist is really very good to blur the separation of background and foreground. The lighting could be even more dramatic, because the background is obviously strongly illuminated with a flat light. There the figures are perhaps even too perfectly illuminated, because even the shadows are still well detailed. For the fact that the Pachyrhinosaurus acts so strongly, the Albertosaurus is a bit uninvolved. He seems to have gotten into the scene somewhat unintentionally. Here it would help if he was a bit denser and more turned towards the viewer to increase the emotional tension. And I would try next time to choose the point of view even deeper ...

Please keep at it in any case and just make more motifs.

Stunt_Kitty_Films

Quote from: Federreptil on October 21, 2023, 11:13:43 AMWhen I am very very strict, there is a slight imbalance between the coloration of the foreground and background. The background is more bluish. This also makes it separate more from the foreground. It would have been perfect if the tree trunks were also implied in the subject. The tip from mist is really very good to blur the separation of background and foreground. The lighting could be even more dramatic, because the background is obviously strongly illuminated with a flat light. There the figures are perhaps even too perfectly illuminated, because even the shadows are still well detailed. For the fact that the Pachyrhinosaurus acts so strongly, the Albertosaurus is a bit uninvolved. He seems to have gotten into the scene somewhat unintentionally. Here it would help if he was a bit denser and more turned towards the viewer to increase the emotional tension. And I would try next time to choose the point of view even deeper ...

These are very insightful observations and very helpful as I plan my next photo. Thank you and congrats. I look forward to the next go around if it occurs.

Halichoeres

I think it's a nice composition in many ways. One thing that strikes me when I look at this photo by itself (that is, not among the sea of other entries) is that the brightest part is the background. If you were to darken the sky a bit and put a little bit brighter light on the figures, it might make for a more arresting image.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stunt_Kitty_Films

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 23, 2023, 05:23:34 PMIf you were to darken the sky a bit and put a little bit brighter light on the figures, it might make for a more arresting image.

I do agree the whiter parts pull my eye more than perhaps was intended. Though it does help move your eye from the Pachyrhinosaurus in the foreground to the overall darker Albertosaurus in the back.

avatar_Federreptil @Federreptil also had suggested the Pachyrhinosaurus was too well lit, if I understood correctly, and might have benefitted by deepening the shadows a bit to make more dramatic which I'm not against. I think I just wanted to showoff as much of my custom paint application as I could.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will certainly be thinking about this when mounting my next composition.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.