News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Irimali's Dioramas

Started by irimali, November 01, 2015, 08:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin_

Quote from: irimali on July 23, 2020, 07:02:22 AM

Step 4- Carefully lift up the (...painted...) leaf while it's still wet and push it into the clay.  Use sculpting tools or a needle tool to impress the veins.  Allow to dry before removing.

Is this being done on unhardened modelling clay? Isn't there a risk of the drying paint sticking the leaf to the clay?

irimali

Quote from: Justin_ on July 23, 2020, 10:08:15 AM
Quote from: irimali on July 23, 2020, 07:02:22 AM

Step 4- Carefully lift up the (...painted...) leaf while it's still wet and push it into the clay.  Use sculpting tools or a needle tool to impress the veins.  Allow to dry before removing.

Is this being done on unhardened modelling clay? Isn't there a risk of the drying paint sticking the leaf to the clay?

It's modeling clay/plastalina.  it's oil based so it never dries.  Sometimes there's little bits of clay stuck to the bottom of a leaf but it's pretty easy to scrape off.  I had to be careful pulling the palmetto leaves out of the clay but the burdock and the hogweed leaves just popped out easily.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: irimali on July 23, 2020, 07:05:15 AM
Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on July 14, 2020, 11:47:14 AM
This is honestly the best, most realistic work i have seen so far. Looks like professional Movieset Building from another Time.

Thank you!  If only somebody would make a feature length stop-motion dinosaur movie  ::)

Hehe, i would love that. Modern Stopmotion can be really realistic. I love, that there are people that still use these Techniques. Sadly everyone wants CGI Overkill. Reviving the Puppets in AAA Movies is a great thing, but feels a bit like "people want that, lets do it a bit." CGI can be used in a fantastic way, don't get we wrong.

Are you doing this just as a Hobby/Art or is this part of getting something for a Living? I forgot, if someone asked that before and there is no need to answer that. I just think your work is something special.

Halichoeres

Thanks so much for sharing your techniques. I'll certainly be referring to this thread in the future.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Kapitaenosavrvs

QuoteThe leaves are a mix of equal parts acrylic paint and white glue.  I painted short lengths of floral stem wire with glue/paint mix, then laid them flat to dry on a board covered with a plastic sheet.  I used some plastic report covers i had laying around.  If you want to try this, experiment first to make sure the paint/glue peels off your plastic easily once it's dry.

Wow. And i read that now... What a fantastic Idea, thank you very much! Reminds me of Window Colour in the 90s :D

Edit: I just forgot it...

Totoro

Bumping this for the benefit of new folks that have never discovered this thread and been blown away by this dude's talent.   Also because I am now finally retired and settled in the new house with lots of space to work on some dioramas, so this is the first place I came for inspiration.  I even stopped by an art/craft store today to get some some floral stem wire and piping tips to see whether that plant piping technique of his is as impossible as I expect it to be. 
Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

irimali

Quote from: Totoro on July 29, 2022, 03:04:25 AMBumping this for the benefit of new folks that have never discovered this thread and been blown away by this dude's talent.   Also because I am now finally retired and settled in the new house with lots of space to work on some dioramas, so this is the first place I came for inspiration.  I even stopped by an art/craft store today to get some some floral stem wire and piping tips to see whether that plant piping technique of his is as impossible as I expect it to be. 

Hey thanks!  I'm looking forward to seeing what you make!  And feel free to ask me any questions that come up.  I don't have the right equipment to make how to videos but i could do a zoom meeting demo if that helps.

Also give yourself some time to get good at piping.  My first attempts were really rough but after a few dozen ferns and cycads they got a lot better. 

Federreptil

Hi Irimali,
I miss you this year in the diorama contest. Or am I wrong and did not recognize your fantastic work?

irimali

Quote from: Federreptil on October 27, 2023, 12:46:29 AMHi Irimali,
I miss you this year in the diorama contest. Or am I wrong and did not recognize your fantastic work?

I didn't have time to enter this year.  Been a little busy with a couple other projects.  Congratulations on your win!  I voted for yours!

Federreptil

Quote from: irimali on November 09, 2023, 04:35:54 AM
Quote from: Federreptil on October 27, 2023, 12:46:29 AMHi Irimali,

I didn't have time to enter this year.  Been a little busy with a couple other projects.  Congratulations on your win!  I voted for yours!

Thank you very much. I miss your work. So good luck for your "couple other projects". May they be so successful that you will get some time for a litte bit more dino stuff ;) 

Jiminy350

Irimali,  I really love all the vegetation you've made, and especially the creative use of materials. You've definitely given me ideas and inspiration for future plants I'd like to make!

Totoro

Logged in to "like" another post and thought, while I'm active, I should come over and bump this thread.  For new folks, start at page 1 and enjoy.  Such a treat to view the amazing creations by this artist, who's eager to share techniques and guidance.  Hopefully avatar_irimali @irimali will see this and it might help nudge him to create something new this year for the diorama contest.  I appreciate many of the photographic dioramas and don't wish to diminish the challenges of creating those, but for me, Irimali's models capture the purest essence of building a diorama - he even creates the animals! (Though avatar_Federreptil @Federreptil is another amazing artist folks should check out!). 
Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

irimali

Hey thanks for the bump! 

Sadly I won't be entering the contest this year :(  I miss diorama building though.  Maybe in another year or 2.

But I look forward to seeing your entry, if you are participating :)

Quote from: Totoro on July 12, 2024, 03:40:06 PMLogged in to "like" another post and thought, while I'm active, I should come over and bump this thread.  For new folks, start at page 1 and enjoy.  Such a treat to view the amazing creations by this artist, who's eager to share techniques and guidance.  Hopefully avatar_irimali @irimali will see this and it might help nudge him to create something new this year for the diorama contest.  I appreciate many of the photographic dioramas and don't wish to diminish the challenges of creating those, but for me, Irimali's models capture the purest essence of building a diorama - he even creates the animals! (Though avatar_Federreptil @Federreptil is another amazing artist folks should check out!). 

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.