News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, November 09, 2022, 01:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on September 01, 2023, 03:31:43 PMThe presence of lips on Kronosaurus is not known.  And the CollectA Kronosaurus has unrealistic skin.
While technically not known, it's also not known for certain that Smilodon had lips or that Pelagornis had feathers. The only reason we got used to depicting Pliosaurs without lips is because we reconstructed them with splayed out teeth, which is considered inaccurate now. An open water swimming marine animal needs to take drag very seriously, especially one with a proportionally large head and mouth.

Sim

The skin of the CollectA Kronosaurus is covered with creases and bumps, which is inconsistent with its lifestyle.  As for lips on Kronosaurus, the shallowness of its jaws and length of its teeth makes me think it lacked lips.  Experts have depicted pliosaurs without lips even with teeth projecting straight downwards, so I wouldn't jump to conclusions.

dragon53

Prehistory Resurrection

Lynx

An oversized house cat.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Ordered mine, still waiting on it.

crazy8wizard

I really want to like the Kronosaurus since more marine reptile figures is something I can get behind, but in true papo fashion, the anatomy is messy and the scales are unnecessary. The skull is really cool though.

Lynx

Quote from: crazy8wizard on November 15, 2023, 06:23:46 PMI really want to like the Kronosaurus since more marine reptile figures is something I can get behind, but in true papo fashion, the anatomy is messy and the scales are unnecessary. The skull is really cool though.

I thought the anatomy was fairly decent from Papo
An oversized house cat.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Lynx on November 15, 2023, 06:35:45 PMI thought the anatomy was fairly decent from Papo
The anatomy isn't necessarily bad in this case, just messy. It's alright but the torso is too compact, the head is a bit small, and it has an odd hump on its back near the neck. Aside from those bits though, it's not too bad. I've seen far worse pliosaurs before.

japfeif

Well, my Kronosaurus & Concavenator arrived yesterday. The Krono is amazingly awesome.....I know some folks are not thrilled with certain aspects, like the scales, but I think the figure looks fantastic, and I'm not sure that there is any evidence they did NOT have scales (I know that sea-going creatures often have smooth slick skin but not all...and given the relationship between mosasaurs & modern monitor lizards, THEY might very well have had some type of granular scales on their bodies, so why not pliosaurs like Kronosaurus? I guess we will probably never know for sure..).

On the other hand...the Concavenator, well, it's just as much of an abomination in hand as in the promo pics! In fact, when I showed it to my wife (who knows next to nothing about Papo figures or dinosaurs in general), her first comment was "what's up with its chest?...look like something out of Alien"!

Which was kinda my thought also!

Oh well...one outta two isn't too bad, yeah?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Kronosaurus is pretty awesome, received mine a couple days ago. I can't see spending money on that Cnocavenator though.

Fembrogon

I'm writing my blog review for the Kronosaurus currently, and I concur with J @japfeif and avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon: this is a great figure and a return to form for Papo. I'm genuinely impressed with it so far.

Halichoeres

I'd say it's the best marine reptile Papo has made, although there are other versions of the genus I prefer.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SpartanSquat

For me papo comeback to business along with kronosaurus, mosaurus and the dragons

Prehistory Resurrection

[deleted]

EuropaSuchus

These Mosasaurus and Kronosaurus aren't really working as accurate marine reptiles, but... they make really good, cool fantasy-style, paleontology-inspired sea monsters. Want both of them.

Fembrogon

And that's exactly where Papo's strengths lie, historically: stylized "pop culture" dinosaur designs. The problem in recent years has been how extreme the stylization has been, sometimes to the point of breaking the animal's anatomy for effect.
Mosasaurus and Kronosaurus take a lot of creative license, but it's license built around a scientifically plausible framework, so the final product feels believable rather than cartoony.

crazy8wizard

The Mosasaurus and Kronosaurus are lacking some marine reptile specific accuracies like smooth skin, but they're not insultingly bad like the Protoceratops and Concavenator

Fembrogon

That Concavenator is a special breed of bad. Wild to see it released in the same year as the two marine reptiles.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: