News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Blackdanter's Collection - Finally Coming Out Of The Loft.

Started by Blackdanter, December 06, 2023, 04:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

I've definitely had a few Starlux break on me (that Megaloceros, how does anyone have an intact copy??). But I've never seen them sweat, that's very unfortunate!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Blackdanter

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 05, 2024, 06:47:48 PMI've definitely had a few Starlux break on me (that Megaloceros, how does anyone have an intact copy??). But I've never seen them sweat, that's very unfortunate!

Hi Halichoeres. I was very surprised to find a handful with the sweats. Soapy water seems to have sorted it for now. That Megaloceros - I've bought two in the past and both have arrived as puzzles. Starlux don't transport very well!

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Blackdanter on January 05, 2024, 03:53:02 PM... The Starlux are total asshats. ... , I have still found some broken. To further vex me, a number are suffering from the 'sweats' which I've never seen in Starlux before.
To add further insult to injury, a couple seem to have literally crumbled away from something very akin to mineral degradation in fossils.

I do love Starlux and am very far from a complete set but I don't think that I'll chase down any more purely because they are so damn difficult to maintain in one piece.

There was a time I was crazy to complete the starlux collection ( exclude mammals ) and I used to lurk accross French ebay for the ones I miss.
Got many deliveries time after time, until my collection was complete - and never suffered any of the Difficulties and troubles you describe.

Crackington

Yes, Starlux are very delicate aren't they? Also makes me think twice about getting more of them.

On the subject of sweaty dinos, I was reading somewhere that this is caused by disintegration of some kind of sealant layer on the outside of much plastic which reacts with moisture in the air and on hands. Warm soap and gently rubbing with a cloth removes this and leaves a harder plastic behind.

I've also tried this with some models with some success, though some cheaposaurs seemed immune to it and I had to get them recycled in the end.

DinoToyForum

Those displays look very fine. Sorry you lost a few Starlux, I have some in storage (five years and counting) so I hope mine haven't suffered the same fate.

Where did you get the cabinets from and would you recommend them? They seem to be the perfect size.

Blackdanter

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on January 05, 2024, 11:03:02 PM
Quote from: Blackdanter on January 05, 2024, 03:53:02 PM... The Starlux are total asshats. ... , I have still found some broken. To further vex me, a number are suffering from the 'sweats' which I've never seen in Starlux before.
To add further insult to injury, a couple seem to have literally crumbled away from something very akin to mineral degradation in fossils.

I do love Starlux and am very far from a complete set but I don't think that I'll chase down any more purely because they are so damn difficult to maintain in one piece.

There was a time I was crazy to complete the starlux collection ( exclude mammals ) and I used to lurk accross French ebay for the ones I miss.
Got many deliveries time after time, until my collection was complete - and never suffered any of the Difficulties and troubles you describe.

I think you're probably lucky not to have Royal Mail as your end carrier BrontoScorpio. I actually particularly like the prehistoric mammals, I have most of those. Well done on completing your collection, some are quite scarce now.

Blackdanter

Quote from: DinoToyForum on January 05, 2024, 11:51:30 PMThose displays look very fine. Sorry you lost a few Starlux, I have some in storage (five years and counting) so I hope mine haven't suffered the same fate.

Where did you get the cabinets from and would you recommend them? They seem to be the perfect size.

Thanks DinoToyForum. Bungalows have fairly extreme loft environments temperature wise, I suspect that has a lot to do with it.

I've been looking for decent wall mounted cabinets for years and finally found these on Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353370036409?var=622535336524
Ebay prices for these range from this sellers price up to £80+. I got mine for around £34 each with multiple purchase discount and other ebay voucher discount. They arrived within 48hrs and are very easy to assemble. Watch the seller as they have multiple listings for the same product and their prices vary, they will also list with multiple purchase discount at some point.

I'm very happy with the cabinets. They're ideal for smaller more vulnerable figures. Shelves are also adjustable and, I've just discovered plastic risers which double the space again for smaller gashapon figures or those with a lower profile.

Blackdanter

Quote from: Crackington on January 05, 2024, 11:07:43 PMYes, Starlux are very delicate aren't they? Also makes me think twice about getting more of them.

On the subject of sweaty dinos, I was reading somewhere that this is caused by disintegration of some kind of sealant layer on the outside of much plastic which reacts with moisture in the air and on hands. Warm soap and gently rubbing with a cloth removes this and leaves a harder plastic behind.

I've also tried this with some models with some success, though some cheaposaurs seemed immune to it and I had to get them recycled in the end.

Thanks Crackington. I'm fairly happy with my Starlux collection as it stands so, a bit vexed but not overly so.

As you say, with the sweating issue, I had found in the past that soft washing in warm soapy (washing up liquid) water helps and ultimately stops it. The couple that did surpise me were the ones that literally rotted and looked a lot like mineral rot you sometimes see in fossils. Luckily it only seems to have affected two figures and none others so may be down to a bad plastic mix issue. Unfortunately, bungalow lofts are known for temperature extremes and I do suspect that has a lot to do with the issue.

Libraraptor

Damm, that Exaeretodon. Still my Holy Grail! Congrats to a great collection and a fantastic presentation!

Blackdanter

Quote from: Libraraptor on January 06, 2024, 11:39:04 AMDamm, that Exaeretodon. Still my Holy Grail! Congrats to a great collection and a fantastic presentation!

Thanks Libraraptor. It's surprising how scarce those exhibition figures are now.

Blackdanter

I've just installed the 7th of these cabinets, another 'vintage' cabinet. I have no more space for any more of these and still have a lot of 'smaller' material. I've found that I can use the cabinet space far more economically by using perspex risers and so have some on order. I'm hoping that will solve a lot of the issue on how to display stuff that is more vulnerable in nature.

This cabinet contains Marx and Linde. You may notice that I have a number of Linde duplicates. That's because they are so variable in colour and marbling and just too gorgeous to part with.

The next job will be adding some shelving and finishing the actual decorating. I may aslo acquire a floor standing cabinet if I can find something that suits and I like the look of.

Libraraptor

Linde, Marx, call me predictable, but I cann't get enough of these!

Blackdanter

I've now completely populated the 7th cabinet of vintage figures, having maximised space with some risers. The vintage figures include: Marx (USA - 1960/70's), Linde (Germany - Coffee premiums - 1950's), MPC (USA - 1960/70's) and Royal Ontario Museum (Canada  - 1970's).

Blackdanter

So, I've been making some shelving out of reclaimed scaffold board. It's an easy job but time consuming and, of course, time is always the issue.

The first three shelves are up and seemed to scream 'Fat bottomed girls'. I dully obliged and have spent some time in the loft hunting down sauropods. Most are here but I'm aware of at least a handful more I've yet to find.

I do love a herd of sauropods!

SidB

Great assemblage, avatar_Blackdanter @Blackdanter , and I really like how you are exploiting that rarely used space near the ceiling. Many people would realize that they have more room for their collections than they think if they were to do this.

Blackdanter

Quote from: SidB on February 24, 2024, 07:37:43 PMGreat assemblage, avatar_Blackdanter @Blackdanter , and I really like how you are exploiting that rarely used space near the ceiling. Many people would realize that they have more room for their collections than they think if they were to do this.

Thanks Sid. I only have a larger sized box room so space is an issue. As you say, the shelving is placed both to utilise the available space as best as possible but also to protect the figures from the resident cats. I also find that if I put a lot of figures on the shelves it dissuades the cats from trying to get on them hence they will look a bit over stuffed figure wise. No doubt I'll rethink things a bit once everything is down from the loft but, at the moment, I just so happy and relieved to have this stuff on display to enjoy.

SidB

Quote from: Blackdanter on February 25, 2024, 08:30:14 AM
Quote from: SidB on February 24, 2024, 07:37:43 PMGreat assemblage, avatar_Blackdanter @Blackdanter , and I really like how you are exploiting that rarely used space near the ceiling. Many people would realize that they have more room for their collections than they think if they were to do this.

Thanks Sid. I only have a larger sized box room so space is an issue. As you say, the shelving is placed both to utilise the available space as best as possible but also to protect the figures from the resident cats. I also find that if I put a lot of figures on the shelves it dissuades the cats from trying to get on them hence they will look a bit over stuffed figure wise. No doubt I'll rethink things a bit once everything is down from the loft but, at the moment, I just so happy and relieved to have this stuff on display to enjoy.
Yes, you do want to avoid an expensive "CATastrophy".

Blackdanter

A shelf of big ceratopsians and an NHM Invicta shelf.

Blackdanter

A couple more sauropods rounded up:

Bullyland Europasaurus

Kaiyodo Pre-made Camarasaurus

The shelf above the door for some 'stable' theropods.

UK

Looks great John, I really need to organise my collection properly too.

I bet you are looking forward to dusting your display at some point soon!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: