News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Blackdanter's Collection - Finally Coming Out Of The Loft.

Started by Blackdanter, December 06, 2023, 04:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikessauro

The collection is looking awesome, love you clean displays.

Blackdanter

Quote from: UK on February 28, 2024, 12:59:24 PMLooks great John, I really need to organise my collection properly too.

I bet you are looking forward to dusting your display at some point soon!

Thanks matey. I think I'm going to have to get into the mindset of rotating dusting in a disciplined way. The Quentin Crisp approach of 'after the first two years it doesn't get any worse' isn't going to cut it with this lot.

Blackdanter

Quote from: Ikessauro on February 28, 2024, 01:41:53 PMThe collection is looking awesome, love you clean displays.

Thanks Ikessauro. It's been a long time coming but it's getting there!

Blackdanter

I sorted out one of the vintage cabinets. It now houses Starlux, Cherilea, Timpo and Inpro.

Blackdanter

Found these in the loft this morning. Some of the boxes are bent out of shape but the figures are fine. I came across the other two in the set a couple of weeks back but do you think I can find them now?

These will have to wait for additional shelving to be made and installed but I'm glad I found them and have them down as they're a great set of bigger action figures and you don't see them around much these days.

I also came across a couple of these boxed Primeval Raptor figures as well as some others from the range.

SidB

This continues to be a simply remarkable collector's renaissance, avatar_Blackdanter @Blackdanter . What stirred you into action after a 10 year hiatus, may I ask?

Ikessauro

Wow, love to see gems like these coming out of storage. That Primeval raptor is on my wish list, have to find me one someday.

Halichoeres

Those ReSaurus/Carnage action figures were really ahead of their time. It would be years before there were other action figures that good. The bipeds were pretty wobbly, but it's not like modern action figures have really solved that problem.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Blackdanter

Quote from: SidB on March 06, 2024, 01:30:03 PMThis continues to be a simply remarkable collector's renaissance, avatar_Blackdanter @Blackdanter . What stirred you into action after a 10 year hiatus, may I ask?

I've never really stopped collecting, I've always bought the odd thing every now and then. I dropped out of DTF as it became quite toxic and was spoiling my enjoyment of the hobby. I got into a situation finally where I could put my collection on display so I decided to dip back into DTF which seems much better now. I have a different life attitude now in that anything that impacts my enjoyment, I simply avoid. I see that some of the old issues still remain in some areas on DTF such as the eternal oxymoron of criticising dinosaur toys (from dinosaur toy manufacturers) against dinosaur models (from model manufacturers) and the thinly veiled jingoism against certain European manufacturers. I just avoid all of that stuff.

I'm primarily attracted to figures with personality so for me I collect fantasy dinosaur figures. Comfortable with that I have no need to get involved in all of the accuracy discussions and can simply enjoy the figures for what they are.

This isn't my only thing either, by a long stretch. I'm something of a polymath and like to rotate my interests in terms of time and attention.

Blackdanter

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 07, 2024, 03:11:33 AMThose ReSaurus/Carnage action figures were really ahead of their time. It would be years before there were other action figures that good. The bipeds were pretty wobbly, but it's not like modern action figures have really solved that problem.

They are great figures with great build quality and paint design. That said, the Styracosaurus used to be considered quite 'loud' in terms of colouration but it's actually quite tame by todays standards (especially since the Dinosaur King era).

Blackdanter

Quote from: Ikessauro on March 06, 2024, 05:38:16 PMWow, love to see gems like these coming out of storage. That Primeval raptor is on my wish list, have to find me one someday.

There's a lot more than I anticipated. There are still things that I know I have but cannot find! I've also come across a lot of doubles so I'll need to make a decision on what to do with that stuff once everything is sorted out.

Blackdanter

I found an interesting box today. Various goodies hiding in it.

The lovely Playvisions prehistoric amphibians.

The Groovy Tube - Gone Extinct set. Not sure if these are still a thing but I originally got it for the Thylacine, Arthropleura and Dodo. The Archelon has been at the pies though. there's also a Colobus Monkey and Quagga.

Dyscrasia

Very impressive collection! Thank you for sharing.

Blackdanter

I found some other critters in the last box.

AAA lizards and a couple of salamanders. I think these are part of the scarce 'cast from dead specimens' range. Some of the colour finishes are a bit odd such as the lizard finished as a Fire Salamander. Most are named types with a couple just being labelled 'lizard'.

Gwangi

I like the AAA 'cast from dead specimens' range and buy them when I find them. I've never seen the salamanders or crested gecko before! Thanks for sharing them here.

Ikessauro

These lizards are so cool, I still intend to hunt down these more realistic ones, now that I'm basically done with most vintage SAfari reptiles. Great collection of lizards you have there.

Blackdanter

I've now consolidated the first Kaiyodo cabinet whilst I await delivery of additional reclaimed scaffold boards to make more shelves.

Consolidating this cabinet, with the addition of risers, has enabled me to get the 3 Colorata Dino Crates figures in. I'm really happy with this cabinet.

Whilst sorting boxes, I came across some additional sauropods to add to the shelving display for those.

Battat Amargasaurus

Safari Rearing Apatosaurus

AAA Rearing Brachiosaurus

Waiphoon Camarasaurus

Blackdanter

Another cabinet consolidated. This enables me to display the Kabaya Dinoworld set. The cabinet also contains various expo and exhibition figures, Sega UFO Catcher, Yujin, Dinosaur King Lawson Series and a couple of Splendid Hand resin figures.

I've parked a couple of Kabaya Dinoworld shop display boxes on top of the cabinet for the time being.

Blackdanter

Quote from: Gwangi on March 15, 2024, 01:05:36 PMI like the AAA 'cast from dead specimens' range and buy them when I find them. I've never seen the salamanders or crested gecko before! Thanks for sharing them here.

Hi Gwangi. They did produce some great figures and had a varied range. The last I heard from China was that the factory had been sold and that the brand were now inactive/defunct. Most of mine came from factory clearance sources so I guess they were clearing out old stock. I was lucky in that respect.

Blackdanter

Quote from: Ikessauro on March 15, 2024, 05:04:10 PMThese lizards are so cool, I still intend to hunt down these more realistic ones, now that I'm basically done with most vintage SAfari reptiles. Great collection of lizards you have there.

Thanks Ikessauro. You may be lucky to find some aftermarket items but my information is that the brand is now deceased or at least inactive until a new owner decides to start recasting.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: