News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Blade-of-the-Moon's Art

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 13, 2012, 06:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torvosaurus

There was a gentleman here in Cheyenne who had about three acres and created dinosaur models all over it. There were easily 50 of the. They were made out of cement and had the Charles Knight look to them, standing upright with their tails down, and didn't look especially real. He started well before the Renaissance. We called it Dinosaur Acres. They were all tore down when he died in the 1990s.

If I ever get to Tennessee again i'll have to look up your park. You've spent a lot of time making your critters look like the real thing.

Torvo

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Torvosaurus on April 09, 2024, 11:58:50 PMThere was a gentleman here in Cheyenne who had about three acres and created dinosaur models all over it. There were easily 50 of the. They were made out of cement and had the Charles Knight look to them, standing upright with their tails down, and didn't look especially real. He started well before the Renaissance. We called it Dinosaur Acres. They were all tore down when he died in the 1990s.

If I ever get to Tennessee again i'll have to look up your park. You've spent a lot of time making your critters look like the real thing.

Torvo

Any pics? It's all to familiar a story I'm afraid. I've seen so many dinosaur parks and models that just get destroyed once the artist is gone. I'm hoping to live long enough to do something to keep this park going. I don't have kids but I try to share it with everyone.

Thanks! I try but it's a tough medium, science marches on and leaves us in the wake so often.. lol

Torvosaurus

No, no pics. When I moved back here dinosaurs weren't on my mind, and he had a wall around his yard so you could see the heads of some, or the top of the Stegosaurus's back plates, for example. He didn't allow visitors later in life, either, partially due to vandalism and I expect his health was failing. So sadly, I never got pictures.

Torvo

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Honestly seeing all of these pictures has really inspired me! I've decided that I wanna try smthn similar, and I'm not entirely sure which species yet. I was considering Buitreraptor or some sort of alvareszaur, but I was wondering if you had any ideas. I wanna start fairly small to get a hang of things.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Torvosaurus on April 10, 2024, 04:25:14 AMNo, no pics. When I moved back here dinosaurs weren't on my mind, and he had a wall around his yard so you could see the heads of some, or the top of the Stegosaurus's back plates, for example. He didn't allow visitors later in life, either, partially due to vandalism and I expect his health was failing. So sadly, I never got pictures.

Torvo

I understand. I'd hate to see what this place would like after one year of no one being able to maintain it. I tried looking online but couldn't find anything. I love old reconstructions and parks. Someone took time and effort to make something just because they were inspired to do so. That deserves some respect. I've tried to save some older dinos here and there, unfortunately the number of places that would rather destroy or trash something vs donate it is pretty high.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on April 10, 2024, 05:49:48 AMHonestly seeing all of these pictures has really inspired me! I've decided that I wanna try smthn similar, and I'm not entirely sure which species yet. I was considering Buitreraptor or some sort of alvareszaur, but I was wondering if you had any ideas. I wanna start fairly small to get a hang of things.

Hmm.. a lot depends on your skill level. I used to paint miniatures and build a lot of model kits now I try to focus on them and my eyes will go blurry. So I tend to choose pieces that are large enough for me to handle and see easily. I don't think I would go smaller than 3' or so. I have made some baby dinos/ hatchlings but they are generally rougher formed just to get the idea across.  Feathers are more difficult than scales. I would get some standard Super Sculpey clay to practice with before using say Apoxie Sculpt which has about an hour working time.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Planning out a new Quetz to replace our existing badly damaged one.   Based on Q. Lawsoni.  Subadult. Also referenced a lot of the cg work on Prehistoric Planet.  I'm choosing a resting pose that will be more stable hopefully.   If in a walking posture it would be around 15' tall. In this pose I'm looking at 10'.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 10, 2024, 07:09:48 AM
Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on April 10, 2024, 05:49:48 AMHonestly seeing all of these pictures has really inspired me! I've decided that I wanna try smthn similar, and I'm not entirely sure which species yet. I was considering Buitreraptor or some sort of alvareszaur, but I was wondering if you had any ideas. I wanna start fairly small to get a hang of things.

Hmm.. a lot depends on your skill level. I used to paint miniatures and build a lot of model kits now I try to focus on them and my eyes will go blurry. So I tend to choose pieces that are large enough for me to handle and see easily. I don't think I would go smaller than 3' or so. I have made some baby dinos/ hatchlings but they are generally rougher formed just to get the idea across.  Feathers are more difficult than scales. I would get some standard Super Sculpey clay to practice with before using say Apoxie Sculpt which has about an hour working time.

Thanks for the advice! I was planning on using real feathers as it seemed a fair bit easier, if also a little more tedious.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on April 10, 2024, 08:20:48 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 10, 2024, 07:09:48 AM

Thanks for the advice! I was planning on using real feathers as it seemed a fair bit easier, if also a little more tedious.

Real feathers are getting into taxidermy, I don't know a lot about it though I do use some supplies from it, eyes for example.  Real feathers on a piece will need to be indoor only and kept in a sealed case for viewing. I actually have a couple made like that. The problem is that moths will lay eggs and the larva will eat the feathers. They also eat fur and even hooves if you can believe it.

You may be interested in Lyn's work here :https://bookratsculptures.neocities.org/

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Thanks, as a matter of fact they have been another main source of inspo!

DinoToyForum

Here are the map PDFs for you (or anyone) to download:
https://dinotoyblog.com/dinopark/dinopark_map_b&w_2024_04.pdf
https://dinotoyblog.com/dinopark/dinopark_map_color_2024_04.pdf

And I've also added uploaded them to your website media library and the map page of your website (including download links there): https://backyardterrors.com/park-map/

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DinoToyForum on April 11, 2024, 01:21:51 PMHere are the map PDFs for you (or anyone) to download:
https://dinotoyblog.com/dinopark/dinopark_map_b&w_2024_04.pdf
https://dinotoyblog.com/dinopark/dinopark_map_color_2024_04.pdf

And I've also added uploaded them to your website media library and the map page of your website (including download links there): https://backyardterrors.com/park-map/

Awesome! Thank you!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Made this comparison with our old and newly revised Stygimoloch.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

This might be a bit of an odd question, but do you have a gallery somewhere with pics of all or most of the species? Edit: nevermind, found exactly what I was looking for, apologies!

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Particularly Masiaka, Australo, and Dilo.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 12, 2024, 02:30:04 AMMade this comparison with our old and newly revised Stygimoloch.

Quite the glowup! Love the new detail!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on April 12, 2024, 05:13:08 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 12, 2024, 02:30:04 AMMade this comparison with our old and newly revised Stygimoloch.

Quite the glowup! Love the new detail!

Thanks! I like to think I improve each one. Wish I could afford to do the entire bodies in Apoxie Sculpt, it's just not financially feasible.

Hope you found all the pics you were looking for. Most are on FB other on DA.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Juvenile Brachiosaurus V2 is coming along.  Peanut for scale.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The teeth came in for the elasmosaur. I'll be fitting them soon and then get the mouth/jaw tissue put in.

DinoToyForum

The elasmosaur looks amazing, well done!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: