News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TlatolophusJuanorum

I love both brown and blueish colours, I think the latter would blend more along with PNSOs Dapeng Yangchuanosaurus magnus.
However, something that no one has taken into account yet is their numeration. Latest HLG figures, their Edmontosaurus are numbered as the 89 and 90 models and the Mamenchisauruses go from 94-96. Which new releases will have those numbered for 91-93? 👀
Even more, which species will turn to be the 100th model?  :o

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on April 14, 2024, 05:42:19 AMI love both brown and blueish colours, I think the latter would blend more along with PNSOs Dapeng Yangchuanosaurus magnus.
However, something that no one has taken into account yet is their numeration. Latest HLG figures, their Edmontosaurus are numbered as the 89 and 90 models and the Mamenchisauruses go from 94-96. Which new releases will have those numbered for 91-93? 👀
Even more, which species will turn to be the 100th model?  :o

Hmm hard to say. I think for the 100th it should be something very impressive.

thomasw100

Paleofiguras posted additional picture of the Mamenchisaurus. Unfortunately not the brown-beige version yet.

thomasw100

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 13, 2024, 04:40:20 PMA lot of companies do this so I can't fault them for it.  That's why you will always see " product may differ from image shown" because all toy companies use prototypes to start advertising. You could always have it repainted though.

I think what struck me here is that the paint designs of the release versions have nothing in common with any of the two prototype versions that were shown at this exhibition and social media. These were 1) a highly detailed striping pattern with stripes wedging out and 2) a fine patchy pattern. The release versions are something completely different. This not a simple downgrade that is to be expected. For comparison, the final paint designs of the Edmontosaurus are simpler than the those of the prototype, but still one can recognize the original design. Not in the case of the Mamenchisaurus.

ceratopsian

Prototypes are just that - prototypes.  They are not a guarantee to the customer of the company's eventual decision on colour and pattern.  The company is at complete liberty to change their eventual final product from prototypes.

Quote from: thomasw100 on April 14, 2024, 09:31:36 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 13, 2024, 04:40:20 PMA lot of companies do this so I can't fault them for it.  That's why you will always see " product may differ from image shown" because all toy companies use prototypes to start advertising. You could always have it repainted though.

I think what struck me here is that the paint designs of the release versions have nothing in common with any of the two prototype versions that were shown at this exhibition and social media. These were 1) a highly detailed striping pattern with stripes wedging out and 2) a fine patchy pattern. The release versions are something completely different. This not a simple downgrade that is to be expected. For comparison, the final paint designs of the Edmontosaurus are simpler than the those of the prototype, but still one can recognize the original design. Not in the case of the Mamenchisaurus.

thomasw100

Release image of the Mamenchisaurus posted by Paleofiguras:

Flaffy

Quote from: Pachyventer on April 14, 2024, 02:10:36 PMSurprise!

https://www.amazon.com/Artist-Sinoceratops-1%EF%BC%9A35-Science-Model/dp/B0D1MS9BMV

Not gonna lie, I'm not a huge fan of the hazy airbrushed look of these designer paint schemes. I vastly prefer the originals.

Flaffy

Quote from: thomasw100 on April 14, 2024, 02:07:18 PMRelease image of the Mamenchisaurus posted by Paleofiguras:

Apparently the Blue version is a limited edition paint scheme? I wonder why that is. The brown Mamenchi is highly attractive.

Sim

On Paleofiguras I read that it's the brown Mamenchisaurus that is limited edition.

thomasw100

Quote from: Flaffy on April 14, 2024, 03:02:10 PM
Quote from: Pachyventer on April 14, 2024, 02:10:36 PMSurprise!

https://www.amazon.com/Artist-Sinoceratops-1%EF%BC%9A35-Science-Model/dp/B0D1MS9BMV

Not gonna lie, I'm not a huge fan of the hazy airbrushed look of these designer paint schemes. I vastly prefer the originals.

I would second that. Given the price tag that comes with these designer models, one gets more value for money by commissioning a full repaint from one of the well established customizers. This costs more, but one gets a unique piece.

Carnoking

Quote from: thomasw100 on April 14, 2024, 02:07:18 PMRelease image of the Mamenchisaurus posted by Paleofiguras:

Wow, they all look so nice in that photo. Even the green one, which is easily my least favorite, looks great.

I still can't take my eyes off that blue variant though...

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Sim on April 14, 2024, 03:13:34 PMOn Paleofiguras I read that it's the brown Mamenchisaurus that is limited edition.

I hope not considering that's the only way I was going to buy it, I've never gotten a haolonggood figure, am I good to get the brown version on amazon, thats how i get my pnso's.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 14, 2024, 11:37:49 AMPrototypes are just that - prototypes.  They are not a guarantee to the customer of the company's eventual decision on colour and pattern.  The company is at complete liberty to change their eventual final product from prototypes.

Quote from: thomasw100 on April 14, 2024, 09:31:36 AM

Those may have even been customs for that show vs actual prototypes. We really don't know. I'd say the best bet is to just get either of them and have a good reputable forum reviewed artist fix it up how you like?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: oscars_dinos on April 14, 2024, 05:37:37 PM
Quote from: Sim on April 14, 2024, 03:13:34 PMOn Paleofiguras I read that it's the brown Mamenchisaurus that is limited edition.

I hope not considering that's the only way I was going to buy it, I've never gotten a haolonggood figure, am I good to get the brown version on amazon, thats how i get my pnso's.

Lana said the blue one was the limited edition unless something changed?  We'll see this week I think.

Flaffy

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 14, 2024, 05:40:53 PM

Lana said the blue one was the limited edition unless something changed?  We'll see this week I think.

Haolonggood's twitter states that the Blue is limited as well.

Paleofiguras's original text is: "Variantes de color Marrón, Verde y la Azul edición limitada."
I think the confusion arises from Facebook's notoriously poor auto-translation.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Flaffy on April 14, 2024, 05:57:54 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 14, 2024, 05:40:53 PM

Haolonggood's twitter states that the Blue is limited as well.

Paleofiguras's original text is: "Variantes de color Marrón, Verde y la Azul edición limitada."
I think the confusion arises from Facebook's notoriously poor auto-translation.

I speak Spanish and even I am finding the writing a lil strange

Sim

oscars_dinos

Quote from: thomasw100 on April 14, 2024, 08:37:14 AMPaleofiguras posted additional picture of the Mamenchisaurus. Unfortunately not the brown-beige version yet.

Not to change the topic on the availability of the figure or anything but I just wanted to point out how nice the curve of the figure is... that is all keep discussing which version is the limited edition one.

thomasw100

Quote from: oscars_dinos on April 14, 2024, 07:18:07 PMNot to change the topic on the availability of the figure or anything but I just wanted to point out how nice the curve of the figure is... that is all keep discussing which version is the limited edition one.

And what I really like is that they made a more straight tail this time and not a curled tail. I understand that tail length adds to the overall size of the model and hence shipping and packaging costs. So making the tail curled cuts a bit on this while maintaining correct length in 1:35 scale. I would guess that they have learned from the Apatosaurus and Alamosaurus release that these giants sell well and people are prepared to accept the shipping costs that come with models of that size. So they can now afford to make them even a bit longer by making the tail more straight.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: