News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 15, 2024, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattyonyx

Quote from: Carnoking on April 26, 2024, 01:14:21 PM
Quote from: Carnoking on April 25, 2024, 01:00:35 AMI'm all but certain we'll get a new release tomorrow or shortly thereafter!

Like clockwork!

This chunky little guy looks great! But does it mean we can officially put that rumor list to rest?

There was a list of the monthly releases, but the user who shared it admitted to having made the whole thing up a couple of days after the post.

Concavenator

avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx It was already shaping up to be the case, but thank you for the confirmation regardless. In any case, I admit whoever made up that list knew how to made it believable, and I wouldn't be surprised if accidentally the list ends up being accurate for a species or two, like Shunosaurus or Ceratosaurus, even if they don't end up being announced at the claimed times, of course.

Concavenator

They got the manus wrong. They should be like this:

Stegosaurian feet by Andorou-Khan.

Since the creature is poorly-known, they could have at least gotten this detail right.

SidB

The front feet on HLG's figure seem to have much more accurate digits. Anyways, I'm quite pleased with their rendition of this stegosaurid, so I don't feel the need to necessarily acquire this PNSO figure.

Mattyonyx

Quote from: SidB on April 28, 2024, 01:13:36 PMThe front feet on HLG's figure seem to have much more accurate digits. Anyways, I'm quite pleased with their rendition of this stegosaurid, so I don't feel the need to necessarily acquire this PNSO figure.

To be fair, the manus on HLG's Wuerhosaurus is wrong too, we talked about it in an unboxing video. That said, PNSO did a great job with other stegosaurids like Miragaia, so it is strange to see such a change.

SidB

Quote from: Mattyonyx on April 28, 2024, 02:31:02 PM
Quote from: SidB on April 28, 2024, 01:13:36 PMThe front feet on HLG's figure seem to have much more accurate digits. Anyways, I'm quite pleased with their rendition of this stegosaurid, so I don't feel the need to necessarily acquire this PNSO figure.

To be fair, the manus on HLG's Wuerhosaurus is wrong too, we talked about it in an unboxing video. That said, PNSO did a great job with other stegosaurids like Miragaia, so it is strange to see such a change.
Could you point me in the direction of that video so that I could check it out, avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx .

thomasw100

Paleofiguras has published in hand pictures of the Wuerhosaurus. I find the pattern on the plates even better than what was shown in the promotional images. I like that it is more symmetrical with the blue-green in the center and the red around, which could be interpreted in terms of some growth pattern.

Flaffy

Very cute and tubby figure. Eye paint seems to be a bit off on this copy so hopefully it's not a running issue.

Mattyonyx

Quote from: SidB on April 29, 2024, 02:58:42 AM

Could you point me in the direction of that video so that I could check it out, avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx .
Here's the video, we talk about the manus from 14:20

I know it's in Italian, so I will give you the context.
We noticed that the manus has 4 hoofed toes when only 2 should have hooves. It's a recurring problem on many Haolonggood figures: sometimes the front feet look sculpted right but painted wrong, and sometimes they look sculpted wrong. 

SidB

Quote from: Mattyonyx on April 29, 2024, 08:04:14 PM
Quote from: SidB on April 29, 2024, 02:58:42 AM

Here's the video, we talk about the manus from 14:20

I know it's in Italian, so I will give you the context.
We noticed that the manus has 4 hoofed toes when only 2 should have hooves. It's a recurring problem on many Haolonggood figures: sometimes the front feet look sculpted right but painted wrong, and sometimes they look sculpted wrong. 

I see what you mean. At least the toes seem to be oriented correctly though, in comparison with the PNSO, as far as I can tell.
That said, I've become sufficiently impressed with HLG's overall quality to the point that sometimes I'll choose one of their sculpts in preference to a PNSO one, their Wuerhosaurus being good enough to likely keep me from replacing it with the PNSO sculpt, at least until I can see some more detailed imagery of the latter.
Thanks for forwarding the video, avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx .

thomasw100

Wuerhosaurus now available from Lana Time Shop for 34.99 USD with free shipping (at least to continental Europe).

thomasw100

Paleofiguras shared some comparison pictures of the PNSO Wuerhosaurus with the Haolonggood and Vitae model. What puzzles me is that the PNSO one seems to be missing the blue-green highlights on the plates, whereas earlier in hand pictures and the promotional pictures clearly have them. Could this be a partial repaint? One can see a small blue-green line where the plates emerge from the skin of the dinosaur. In any case, the Haolonggood and Vitae models shown in these pictures have been clearly repainted.

Flaffy

100% a repaint. There are signs the plates have been touched up with paint.

Interestingly, some phylogenetic analysis have placed Wuerhosaurus as a Dacentrurine rather than a Stegosaurine. Which have lead to skeletal reconstructions such as this:

SidB

The  PNSO sure has a dramatically greater girth.

Bread

Quote from: SidB on May 01, 2024, 12:39:23 PMThe  PNSO sure has a dramatically greater girth.
But is nearly a $20 difference worth it for more bulk?

I still don't understand why PNSO's are such a price hike for even smaller figures like so...

SidB

Quote from: Bread on May 01, 2024, 01:17:28 PM
Quote from: SidB on May 01, 2024, 12:39:23 PMThe  PNSO sure has a dramatically greater girth.
But is nearly a $20 difference worth it for more bulk?

I still don't understand why PNSO's are such a price hike for even smaller figures like so...
Simply this, avatar_Bread @Bread - PNSO had to feed it $20 worth of food to get it to bulk up so much. Grocery prices are rising, as you've no doubt have noticed.

thomasw100

Quote from: Bread on May 01, 2024, 01:17:28 PMBut is nearly a $20 difference worth it for more bulk?

I would actually flip the question around. How does Haolonggood manage to produce figures of such good quality at such a modest price point? Given the high detail and fineness of the sculpt and the beautiful paint application with all these subtle transitions and gradients, I still find the prices of PNSO models by and large justified. The museum line models are, however, too expensive for the extra value they offer over the standard models.

Concavenator

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 01, 2024, 01:33:42 PMHow does Haolonggood manage to produce figures of such good quality at such a modest price point? Given the high detail and fineness of the sculpt and the beautiful paint application with all these subtle transitions and gradients, I still find the prices of PNSO models by and large justified.

PNSO's models from 2020 were significantly cheaper. So, more than Haolonggood's figures being particularly cheap, I think it's more like PNSO's figures are particularly expensive.

thomasw100

Quote from: Concavenator on May 01, 2024, 02:21:57 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on May 01, 2024, 01:33:42 PMHow does Haolonggood manage to produce figures of such good quality at such a modest price point? Given the high detail and fineness of the sculpt and the beautiful paint application with all these subtle transitions and gradients, I still find the prices of PNSO models by and large justified.

PNSO's models from 2020 were significantly cheaper. So, more than Haolonggood's figures being particularly cheap, I think it's more like PNSO's figures are particularly expensive.

An important question in this would be if there is any difference in the working conditions (salary, working hours, health and safety, environmental standards etc.) between the production of PNSO and Haolonggood models. We know that many products which are manufactured in China and other countries that are sold at a rather low price are produced under conditions which involve some element of exploitation of the factory workers. So if the higher price of PNSO models would correspond to an improvement of the standards of the working conditions, I would be perfectly OK with the higher price.

Mattyonyx

Quote from: SidB on April 30, 2024, 04:10:37 AMI see what you mean. At least the toes seem to be oriented correctly though, in comparison with the PNSO, as far as I can tell.
That said, I've become sufficiently impressed with HLG's overall quality to the point that sometimes I'll choose one of their sculpts in preference to a PNSO one, their Wuerhosaurus being good enough to likely keep me from replacing it with the PNSO sculpt, at least until I can see some more detailed imagery of the latter.
Thanks for forwarding the video, avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx .

The orientation is not wrong in either of the two figures, as we all should consider a certain range of motion on the real animals.

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 01, 2024, 09:03:56 AMPaleofiguras shared some comparison pictures of the PNSO Wuerhosaurus with the Haolonggood and Vitae model. What puzzles me is that the PNSO one seems to be missing the blue-green highlights on the plates, whereas earlier in hand pictures and the promotional pictures clearly have them. Could this be a partial repaint? One can see a small blue-green line where the plates emerge from the skin of the dinosaur. In any case, the Haolonggood and Vitae models shown in these pictures have been clearly repainted.

All three figures have been repainted. The Vitae one even got the shoulder spikes removed.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: