News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

I bought my 1:20 Pachyrhinosaurus from Lana Time on AliExpress. But Everything Dinosaur stocked them. They advertised that they were down to the last one or two a week or so back. But they are expensive. Much easier to buy though than the one off repaints that appear only on US Amazon as they are unique items that are snapped up in seconds and can't be shipped outside the USA!

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on May 31, 2024, 05:41:20 AMGod I'm so jealous of folks who can get there hands on these models! Where does one even find them anyways?

thomasw100

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 31, 2024, 08:18:13 AMI bought my 1:20 Pachyrhinosaurus from Lana Time on AliExpress. But Everything Dinosaur stocked them. They advertised that they were down to the last one or two a week or so back. But they are expensive. Much easier to buy though than the one off repaints that appear only on US Amazon as they are unique items that are snapped up in seconds and can't be shipped outside the USA!

Interesting to know, as I have never seen any of these available for purchase. They are very beautiful models, in my view much nicer than the designer editions of the 1:35 PVC models actually. But space is always and issue and as sauropods are my number one group of dinosaurs I simply cannot afford to get models in 1:20 scale. What I will actually do now is to send a few of the 1:35 scale models to Dinosaur Models Artworks for  repaint. I was just stunned by the repainted Haolonggood Pachyrhinosaurus which was the first one I got. It was amazing to see what a masterful paint work does to bring out the beauty of the sculpt detail. It is actually much better than what you see with the standard paint application. Now my second Alamosaurus is in his trusted hands and I am very much looking forward to what he makes out of this canvas.

Carnoking

Edmontosaurus and Euoplocephalus in the house, just in time for the follow up Maiasaura and Gastonia (will it ever end?)

Edmontosaurus is fantastic. Loving the warm tones on this guy.

Spoiler

Although in my opinion, it's easy to understand why PNSO's is more than double the price. If I could only have one Eddie on my shelf, Zabad would still be my go to.

[close]

The Euoplocephalus is a delightful little figure, especially for a mere 15 bucks!

Spoiler

I do miss the far more intricate paint of last year's Tianzhenosaurus, but the sculpt and overall presentation of the Euplocephalus is a lot more lifelike in my eyes.

[close]

Spoiler

And unlike with Zabad, this is an easy win for HAOLONGGOOD's most recent ankylosaur against PNSO's surprisingly underwhelming Zuul!

[close]

Spoiler

And because it's the only other Euoplocephalus I own, here's that old Battat figure!

[close]

ceratopsian

Lovely photos avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking.  I too miss that astonishing mosaic paint effect on the Tianzhenosaurus - but I'm very happy with what I'm receiving from Haolonggood (with a few niggles like Maiasaura's head ornamentation).

thomasw100

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 31, 2024, 01:17:12 PMLovely photos avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking.  I too miss that astonishing mosaic paint effect on the Tianzhenosaurus - but I'm very happy with what I'm receiving from Haolonggood (with a few niggles like Maiasaura's head ornamentation).

The latter is something that someone like Dinosaur Models Artworks could also fix. He just showed a few examples of PNSO theropods on Instagram where he just added lips and did some touch up painting but left the original paint design intact. He used the same approach when he concealed the seam lines of my Haolonggood ceratopsians.

ceratopsian

It would be something that Martin, much closer to home for me, could also fix. But it doesn't bother me enough to send it to him.

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 31, 2024, 01:25:58 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on May 31, 2024, 01:17:12 PMLovely photos avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking.  I too miss that astonishing mosaic paint effect on the Tianzhenosaurus - but I'm very happy with what I'm receiving from Haolonggood (with a few niggles like Maiasaura's head ornamentation).

The latter is something that someone like Dinosaur Models Artworks could also fix. He just showed a few examples of PNSO theropods on Instagram where he just added lips and did some touch up painting but left the original paint design intact. He used the same approach when he concealed the seam lines of my Haolonggood ceratopsians.

thomasw100

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 31, 2024, 01:59:07 PMIt would be something that Martin, much closer to home for me, could also fix. But it doesn't bother me enough to send it to him.

True, I forgot about Martin. The hornlets on the Maiasaura do not bother me too much on the green version actually, because they do not feature too prominently on this one. On the brown version it is a different story because of the color accents the hornlets have. I have ordered the green one right now mostly because I do not have so many green hadrosaurs but several brown ones, but after Dinos Dragons very nice review I am thinking of the brown one as well. The paint design just looks so splendid.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 31, 2024, 02:52:16 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on May 31, 2024, 01:59:07 PMIt would be something that Martin, much closer to home for me, could also fix. But it doesn't bother me enough to send it to him.

True, I forgot about Martin. The hornlets on the Maiasaura do not bother me too much on the green version actually, because they do not feature too prominently on this one. On the brown version it is a different story because of the color accents the hornlets have. I have ordered the green one right now mostly because I do not have so many green hadrosaurs but several brown ones, but after Dinos Dragons very nice review I am thinking of the brown one as well. The paint design just looks so splendid.

This Green looks really good compares to other HLG because transitions really subtle. İ like Brown/purple coloration better but i think actually the green one has better paint job, so smooth.

dragon53

thomasw100

My order with Maiasaura and Gastonia has just arrived. I got the green version of Maiasaura and both versions of the Gastonia.

Maiasaura is really really nice, despite the little inaccuracy with the hornlets. But one does not notice this so much on the green version because of the overall paint scheme. I very much like that they used a darker base color than the standard green that they have used for several other models.

Gastonia is a bit disappointing I have to say. The head sculpt is not near as good as that of Euoplocephalus and even Edmontonia from last year, and we see again some areas where the molding resulted in not so crisp texture (looks a bit glassy or molten) that we saw on some earlier releases from last year. Also the paint seems to have been not so well applied at the sides of the tail between the spikes and the white color of the plastic is shining through.

Compared to Edmontonia, Euoplocephalus and Tianzhenosaurus, Gastonia looks also way too big I have to say. I am not a perfectionist when it comes to sizes, but the relative size differences between different species need to feel right. If the Maiasaura was 3 cm longer and the Gastonia 3 cm shorter, that would have been perfect. I am however quite OK with the size of the Maiasaura. After all, research has shown that when Maiasaura reached sexual maturity it was not fully grown.

Prehistory Resurrection

SidB

thomasw100

Paleofiguras has posted pictures of the designer edition of Baryonyx and Megarator.

Carnoking

Love the megaraptor but of course it is already gone

thomasw100

Does anyone here have both the Haolonggood green Mamenchisaurus and the green Maiasaura? How does the green base color compare between the two? Is this the same or is one of them distinctly lighter?

SidB

Quote from: dragon53 on May 31, 2024, 11:27:14 PM
Decided to buy the red Maiasaura, despite the hornlets. Will deal with them later, if I decide that it's worth the trouble.

PoptartDoodle

The grey Alamosaurus and brown Mamenchisaurus came in the same day, I'm blown away by both of them. And with those two "coincidentally" being the two undersized sauropods PNSO released, I'm curious how PNSO will respond, whether it's continuing to release sauropods at smaller scales, try their hand at a large 1:35 model, or just avoid them altogether and maybe stick with smaller 1:35 sauropods

Has anyone tried straightening out the Alamo's tail?? I've used hairdryers for X-Plus models to attach the head to the body, but not to straighten out something designed to curve.

thomasw100

Co
Quote from: PoptartDoodle on June 03, 2024, 03:27:10 PMThe grey Alamosaurus and brown Mamenchisaurus came in the same day, I'm blown away by both of them. And with those two "coincidentally" being the two undersized sauropods PNSO released, I'm curious how PNSO will respond, whether it's continuing to release sauropods at smaller scales, try their hand at a large 1:35 model, or just avoid them altogether and maybe stick with smaller 1:35 sauropods

Has anyone tried straightening out the Alamo's tail?? I've used hairdryers for X-Plus models to attach the head to the body, but not to straighten out something designed to curve.

Congratulations to these two giants, they are both very very nice. Did you get the plain limited edition Alamosaurus? I was not sure what you referred to with gray, as this one to me seems rather some interesting mix of very dark green to brown than actually gray.

I was thinking of straightening out the tail of the Alamosaurus, but in the end did not proceed for two reasons. First, I was worried about some paint chipping and cracking that could happen. Then second, with straightened tail it would not fit any more into the original box.

Cretaceous Hunter

For those interested, there was a large release of designer/artist style on Amazon that just posted.

Kosmoceratops, Tlatolophus, Chasmosaurus, and Nasutoceratops

ceratopsian

So frustrating for the non-USA souls!

Quote from: Cretaceous Hunter on June 04, 2024, 03:25:23 PMFor those interested, there was a large release of designer/artist style on Amazon that just posted.

Kosmoceratops, Tlatolophus, Chasmosaurus, and Nasutoceratops

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: