You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Lokiceratops rangiformis, a new centrosaurine from the Judith River Formation

Started by CarnotaurusKing, June 20, 2024, 03:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnotaurusKing

https://peerj.com/articles/17224/

https://novataxa.blogspot.com/2024/06/lokiceratops.html?m=1

Further proof of the extreme endemism in the dinosaurs of Campanian Laramidia. Also suggests the presence of a new clade Albertaceratopsini, composed of Lokiceratops, Albertaceratops, and Medusaceratops.

Pretty nifty ornamentation and it looks pretty big too. Would make for a good new model by PNSO, HLG or Safari Ltd.

Turkeysaurus

Cool name
Cool Horns
Good size
I agree this has everything to make a good toy

Scale bar is 2 meters

andrewsaurus rex

Indeed a good size.  Pentaceratops size or at the lower range of Triceratops.   The asymmetrical frill horns are interesting.   I wonder if it's an aberration of this specimen or a trait of the species.   Somewhat like asymmetrical caribou antlers.  But those are shed every season, which is a big part of the reason they are asymmetrical.

New fodder for BOTM and Mattel.  :)

Pliosaurking

What an Awesome looking ceratopsian! The name is also cool. I agree this could be a great species to make into figure form.

Sim

There's a Styracosaurus specimen with one additional horn on one side of its frill, but other specimens look more symmetrical.  My guess is that this Lokiceratops specimen is like that Styracosaurus specimen in being asymmetrical.

Carnoking

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim I was wondering the same. Hard to know if this is individual variation, or if this was more widespread, when there is only one specimen though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Quiversaurus

Not a huge fan of ceratopsians, but I like the name. Very apt, with those horns.

And of course because it's "Loki", there's the characteristic green shades as well. Very nice (:

Ludodactylus

Quote from: Sim on June 20, 2024, 06:43:25 PMThere's a Styracosaurus specimen with one additional horn on one side of its frill, but other specimens look more symmetrical.  My guess is that this Lokiceratops specimen is like that Styracosaurus specimen in being asymmetrical.

That was my immediate thought as well. Either way, it's a very cool looking specimen.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

stargatedalek

Are people genuinely trying to say the whole species was asymmetrical? That is such an extreme thing to assume. There are (IIRC) Torosaurus and Styracosaurus specimens that show asymmetry. When you have an animal with a lot of growths, you are going to get examples of asymmetry, what with genetic aberration, growth health, healed injures, etc. etc.

andrewsaurus rex

i don't think anyone is drawing firm conclusions, one way or the other.  The discovered specimen had asymmetrical frill horns.  From a sample size of one, it can't be concluded whether this was a trait of the species or an aberration.  Probably the latter, but nothing definite can be claimed either way at this point.

thomasw100

Really an interesting new genus with all ingredients for a beautiful figure to be made. It has good size (not too large but not too small), quite good remains (most of the skull and frill bones are there, also the horn cores, enough of the post-cranial skeleton to estimate the proportions), distinguishing horns, and already a good skeletal reconstruction.

VD231991

Lokiceratops shares its name with the species epithet lokii for the Medusaceratops type species, which honors the Norse mischief god Loki. As a matter of fact, Medusaceratops, which is recovered in a clade with Albertaceratops and Lokiceratops (named Albertaceratopsini by Mark Loewen and colleagues), was once considered the same animal as Albertaceratops by Michael Ryan before he eventually realized that the horned dinosaur material from the Mansfield Bonebed was morphologically distinct from the holotype of Albertaceratops nesmoi.

Perotorum

I wonder where xenoceratops fits into the relationship to the new clade of albertoceratopsini, as the paper did not include it in cladistic analysis, and it is of a similar location, horn configuration, and cladistic position to the novel clade.

Funk

Countdown to synomization with the other two extremely similar albertoceratopsins from the same formation... If the level of individual variation seen in other centrosaurines is anything to go by.

Sim

Quote from: Funk on July 04, 2024, 02:32:55 PMCountdown to synomization with the other two extremely similar albertoceratopsins from the same formation... If the level of individual variation seen in other centrosaurines is anything to go by.
It doesn't really look close enough to them to warrant syonymisation in my view.  They certainly look more different than Coronosaurus and Spinops do to Centrosaurus, and only Gregory Paul has synonymised them into Centrosaurus...  The Chasmosaurus specimens also all look more like each other than Lokiceratops does to the other albertoceratopsins and there are people who are seriously trying to spilt Chasmosaurus...

Funk

As someone pointed out, look at the variation in Styracosaurus alone:

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.