News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New DinoToyBlog entries

Started by DinoToyForum, March 12, 2012, 08:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dilopho

Dilopho

How about the extreme damage t rex from dominion? I didn't see a review up for it.
Is there a specific thread to ask this sort of thing, btw?

suspsy

Quote from: Dilopho on June 18, 2024, 07:40:02 PMHow about the extreme damage t rex from dominion? I didn't see a review up for it.

Yes, you definitely review that one. And there is a thread in Blog and Forum Business.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dilopho

Quote from: suspsy on June 18, 2024, 11:00:45 PM
Quote from: Dilopho on June 18, 2024, 07:40:02 PMHow about the extreme damage t rex from dominion? I didn't see a review up for it.

Yes, you definitely review that one. And there is a thread in Blog and Forum Business.
Alright, I'd love to! And thanks for letting me know. ^^

suspsy

Gwangi

suspsy

EmperorDinobot

Dearc by LittleSofts https://dinotoyblog.com/dearc-sgiathanach-by-little-softs/

It would not allow me to add the brand, so it stayed "uncategorized".

I would be honored if you read it. I don't care about comments or stars. I had been planning this review for a while now. My tears went into it.

crazy8wizard

It's also worth mentioning that this plush was designed by the actual lead paleontologist who described Dearc, Dr. Natalia Jagielska!

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: crazy8wizard on July 05, 2024, 08:36:18 PMIt's also worth mentioning that this plush was designed by the actual lead paleontologist who described Dearc, Dr. Natalia Jagielska!

You know what? I am going to add that to the review, as well as one pic that was missing. Thanks so much for the suggestion.  :)

Gwangi

suspsy

Quote from: Gwangi on July 06, 2024, 01:15:21 PMEofauna Tyrannosaurus

https://dinotoyblog.com/tyrannosaurus-eofauna/

One can only conclude that the one star rating is from either a soulless bot or a lowly troll. Either way, they're obviously not of sound mind.

EmperorDinobot

Well, it has more stars now, and I think it is a gorgeous figure. Look at the colors on that thing. Great review avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi!

Gwangi

It seems like a controversial figure and it has its haters. They can dislike it but it is objectively NOT a one star figure or anything below average. Good thing they aren't writing the reviews.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Gwangi on July 06, 2024, 04:25:46 PMIt seems like a controversial figure and it has its haters. They can dislike it but it is objectively NOT a one star figure or anything below average. Good thing they aren't writing the reviews.
Change can be difficult to handle and this figure threatens some folk's preconceived notions about what a T-rex should look like.  For me it's a long overdue and welcome change of pace.  I wouldn't read too much into a negative rating, they just need a bit of time to come around.

Gwangi

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on July 06, 2024, 07:00:41 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 06, 2024, 04:25:46 PMIt seems like a controversial figure and it has its haters. They can dislike it but it is objectively NOT a one star figure or anything below average. Good thing they aren't writing the reviews.
Change can be difficult to handle and this figure threatens some folk's preconceived notions about what a T-rex should look like.  For me it's a long overdue and welcome change of pace.  I wouldn't read too much into a negative rating, they just need a bit of time to come around.

Almost every review on the blog has a few 1 star ratings, no matter the actual quality of the figure. I don't take it personally though, it's not like I designed the toy or something.

Ludodactylus

I was already sold on the Eofauna being the right Tyrannosaurus for me, but this review really cemented that fact and has given me even more appreciation for the design decisions Eofauna has made.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Gwangi on July 06, 2024, 07:49:45 PM

Almost every review on the blog has a few 1 star ratings, no matter the actual quality of the figure. I don't take it personally though, it's not like I designed the toy or something.
That's a great approach and I hadn't thought of that.  That idea that you can't know for sure if they are simply disapproving of the figure in general and not necessarily commenting on your review at all.  I appreciate all you guys that put these reviews together.  The reviews are a wonderful resource that you guys gift to the community.  I'm not sure how many times, but I've gone back there a lot to help me decide whether or not I'd be buying a certain figure.

Gwangi

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on July 06, 2024, 10:28:01 PM

That's a great approach and I hadn't thought of that.  That idea that you can't know for sure if they are simply disapproving of the figure in general and not necessarily commenting on your review at all.  I appreciate all you guys that put these reviews together.  The reviews are a wonderful resource that you guys gift to the community.  I'm not sure how many times, but I've gone back there a lot to help me decide whether or not I'd be buying a certain figure.

I appreciate hearing that very much. I often feel like the blog has largely become obsolete. YouTube reviews have basically replaced them. Writers cannot keep up with YouTubers, who often churn out multiple videos per week and are able to keep up with the new releases better. I sometimes wonder who I'm writing these reviews for because with so little reader engagement it can often feel like no one is actually reading them at all. Comments like yours are a real morale boot and motivate me to keep going. 

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Gwangi on July 07, 2024, 01:02:10 AM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on July 06, 2024, 10:28:01 PM

I appreciate hearing that very much. I often feel like the blog has largely become obsolete. YouTube reviews have basically replaced them. Writers cannot keep up with YouTubers, who often churn out multiple videos per week and are able to keep up with the new releases better. I sometimes wonder who I'm writing these reviews for because with so little reader engagement it can often feel like no one is actually reading them at all. Comments like yours are a real morale boot and motivate me to keep going. 
Is it an age thing?  IDK, I'm an older guy.  I bought my first dinosaur toy at K-mart in the mid 1970s.  So for me the idea that all this information is collected in one place and it's all available to me for free is not something that I grew up with or take for granted.  In those days we were still using Encyclopedias to get information on things and there may have been some books or magazines that were dedicated to keeping a catalog of when toys were release and things of that sort.  But those things would've cost money to acquire assuming that they even existed. 

The videos are nice too and I watch a couple of guys regularly on mute.  I find most of the YouTubers are pandering to a younger demographic so I don't always understand the humor or think it's especially clever etc.  Some of those guys are unwatchable for someone like me.  The dinotoyblog fills a nice void, no annoying music or voices, and still photos are often even better than video.  I find myself trying to pause videos just to zoom in on a particular detail on a figure and it's not possible unless I can take a screen shot or something like that.  With stills it's easy to zoom in and scroll over the image.  Dinotoyblog and the animal equivalent are valuable resources that I use all the time.

I've missed out on a lot of older figures over the years and it's not easy to find videos about those figures.  But the reviews on these blogs are right there and really help me make up my mind if I'll make that purchase on Ebay or wherever some of those older figures can be found.  I guess it's a matter of perspective but to me these blogs are indispensable as far as my animal and dinosaur collections are concerned.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: