News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

Quote from: oscars_dinos on September 14, 2024, 03:56:59 PMI feel like the in hand pics will look a lot better but, the color scheme looks a bit to, toyish? at least for me

The pattern they have applied to the Xenoceratops is more close to a so-called cryptic pattern as some biologists call it, a pattern that you see on animals that live in forested habitats where they need to hide from predators. And they do this with a pattern that blends them in with the surrounding bushes and trees. Animals that live in more open habitats tend to have a disruptive pattern (like vertical stripes) which has the effect that it interferes with predators recognizing them as the prey species from the distance. Some paleontologists speculate that sauropod juveniles for example may have had a cryptic pattern which changed to a disruptive pattern when they became subadults and moved out from the forests into more open habitats. To cut a long story short, I find a disruptive pattern more plausible for ceratopsians reflecting their most likely lifestyle and habitats.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: thomasw100 on September 14, 2024, 08:37:46 PM
Quote from: oscars_dinos on September 14, 2024, 03:56:59 PMI feel like the in hand pics will look a lot better but, the color scheme looks a bit to, toyish? at least for me

The pattern they have applied to the Xenoceratops is more close to a so-called cryptic pattern as some biologists call it, a pattern that you see on animals that live in forested habitats where they need to hide from predators. And they do this with a pattern that blends them in with the surrounding bushes and trees. Animals that live in more open habitats tend to have a disruptive pattern (like vertical stripes) which has the effect that it interferes with predators recognizing them as the prey species from the distance. Some paleontologists speculate that sauropod juveniles for example may have had a cryptic pattern which changed to a disruptive pattern when they became subadults and moved out from the forests into more open habitats. To cut a long story short, I find a disruptive pattern more plausible for ceratopsians reflecting their most likely lifestyle and habitats.

yeah the concept of the pattern isn't my issue, its more so the application, it seems very painted on and not smoothly applied like some of their previous figures 

SlurmpSaurus

Again, haven't we learned not to judge haolonggood figures before in hand pics?

Pinbacker

Quote from: SlurmpSaurus on September 14, 2024, 11:55:08 PMAgain, haven't we learned not to judge haolonggood figures before in hand pics?

This. Every single time a Haolonggood figure is revealed, the same old jokers complain about the paint apps and/or sculpt in the promo shots. And every single time, the models end up looking much better in hand. 

Turkeysaurus

Everybody has different standards for their collections. No need to be so defensive about it.

Ivántirrophus

Brown Xenocetatops looks good for me  :)

thomasw100

Quote from: Pinbacker on September 15, 2024, 02:06:34 AM
Quote from: SlurmpSaurus on September 14, 2024, 11:55:08 PMAgain, haven't we learned not to judge haolonggood figures before in hand pics?

This. Every single time a Haolonggood figure is revealed, the same old jokers complain about the paint apps and/or sculpt in the promo shots. And every single time, the models end up looking much better in hand. 

One does not need the figure in hand to see the white squiggly lines on the version with the blue ornamentation on the frill. And one does not need the in hand figure to see that on the manus 4 toes have painted nails, whereas it should be only 3.

And it should be possible to criticize this particular feature while expressing appreciation for the remaining features of a figure such as for example the overall sculpt and the ornamentation on the frill.

The bottom line is that so far this is an environment where we have freedom of speech, which includes respecting the rules of friendly and constructive interaction.

You are therefore free to engage into a proper to discussion and provide counter-arguments why you disagree with the moderate criticism that has been raised about this figure.

Pinbacker

Quote from: thomasw100 on September 15, 2024, 09:02:23 AM
Quote from: Pinbacker on September 15, 2024, 02:06:34 AM

One does not need the figure in hand to see the white squiggly lines on the version with the blue ornamentation on the frill. And one does not need the in hand figure to see that on the manus 4 toes have painted nails, whereas it should be only 3.

And it should be possible to criticize this particular feature while expressing appreciation for the remaining features of a figure such as for example the overall sculpt and the ornamentation on the frill.

The bottom line is that so far this is an environment where we have freedom of speech, which includes respecting the rules of friendly and constructive interaction.

You are therefore free to engage into a proper to discussion and provide counter-arguments why you disagree with the moderate criticism that has been raised about this figure.

Sigh. No one is attacking your freedom of speech, chief. All that is being pointed out is that it's silly to judge a HLG model based on the promo photos, because the final product always looks much better. But by all means, critique away.

Flaffy

Quote from: Pinbacker on September 15, 2024, 01:15:40 PMSigh. No one is attacking your freedom of speech, chief.

Mocking others directly sounds plenty like trying to discourage opinions that do not line up with your own.

Quote from: Pinbacker on September 15, 2024, 02:06:34 AMthe same old jokers complain

Pinbacker

Quote from: Flaffy on September 15, 2024, 01:31:31 PM
Quote from: Pinbacker on September 15, 2024, 01:15:40 PMSigh. No one is attacking your freedom of speech, chief.

Mocking others directly sounds plenty like trying to discourage opinions that do not line up with your own.

Quote from: Pinbacker on September 15, 2024, 02:06:34 AMthe same old jokers complain

No mockery sir, just facts. And I never directly specified which ones are the aforementioned "same old jokers"  :)) They are free to critique based on intial promo images, and I am free to laugh at how silly some of the criticism sounds in hindsight. Isn't freedom of speech great, that we all don't have to agree?

Returning to Haolonggood, the Xenoceratops is now available on AliExpress as well, including My Online Toy Store. Unfortunately, the boxless option does not render a discount this time around.

thomasw100

Quote from: Pinbacker on September 15, 2024, 02:05:33 PM

No mockery sir, just facts. And I never directly specified which ones are the aforementioned "same old jokers"  :)) They are free to critique based on intial promo images, and I am free to laugh at how silly some of the criticism sounds in hindsight. Isn't freedom of speech great, that we all don't have to agree?

Returning to Haolonggood, the Xenoceratops is now available on AliExpress as well, including My Online Toy Store. Unfortunately, the boxless option does not render a discount this time around.

The issue here is your use of derogatory language and mockery instead of engaging in a meaningful discussion based on exchange of arguments.

And your attempt to silence unwanted opinions by getting personal and by framing any criticism. This is exactly how cancel culture works to affect and censor public opinion.

Look I have provided arguments for why I am not too happy about certain features of the figure, i.e. the incorrect manus despite this being Haolonggoods ceratopsian number 8 produced so far and the most likely habitat of ceratopsians not making a cryptic pattern all too plausible.

So where are your counter-arguments why my critical comments would be invalid? I am waiting for you to outline your arguments.

Turkeysaurus

Painting choices , Lines around face and body are too artificial for my liking. It's not about pics quality or even color choices.

Reminds me collecta painting a bit. I still don't like Diabloceratops so promo pics don't matter that much to me.

SidB

Actually, I'm looking forward to the new "Joker" movie!

Flaffy

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.