News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscars_dinos

Quote from: thomasw100 on September 19, 2024, 08:54:39 PM
Quote from: oscars_dinos on September 19, 2024, 08:10:53 PMYES, you perfectly explained how I feel, and I feel like this is why these figures can be decisive at times, I know some people prefer a crunchy texture

Before Haolonggood emerged PNSO has clearly set the standard when it comes to excellence in scientific accuracy and quality of their sculpts and paint application. And when I refer to quality of paint application I mean how well the transitions and blending are done.

Now Haolonggood apparently tries to compete with PNSO and they have really raised their standard over the course of one year. As they have shown by some of their figures, like the Stegosaurus, the sauropods, the ankylosaurs and some of their ceratopsians, they are able to produce figures at a level not much different from PNSO.

Like when I place the Haolonggood Kosmoceratops, Sinoceratops and Diabloceratops next to PNSO Centrosaurus, Triceratops and Styracosaurus for example, it looks like a coherent ensemble of figures. There are some differences, but they are quite minor.

Therefore, it is an enigma to me why Haolonggood does not keep producing figures consistently at the level they have demonstrated many times now that they are capable of producing.
the best figure's they have blend in with and sometimes pass the offerings of pnso, like the sino and mamenchi that's why I'm excited to see who will win my spot for styracosurus in my collection, I'm hoping HLG does as im not the biggest fan of pnso's

Sim

Quote from: thomasw100 on September 19, 2024, 08:54:39 PMTherefore, it is an enigma to me why Haolonggood does not keep producing figures consistently at the level they have demonstrated many times now that they are capable of producing.
If you're referring to the style of detail on Haolonggood's ceratopsids, I don't think any is superior.  It's tiring to see people criticise more defined scales on Haolonggoods, PNSOs, Safaris, over and over again...

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Sim on September 19, 2024, 09:39:02 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on September 19, 2024, 08:54:39 PMTherefore, it is an enigma to me why Haolonggood does not keep producing figures consistently at the level they have demonstrated many times now that they are capable of producing.
If you're referring to the style of detail on Haolonggood's ceratopsids, I don't think any is superior.  It's tiring to see people criticise more defined scales on Haolonggoods, PNSOs, Safaris, over and over again...
If a new HLG figure is released and the scale detail varies from figure to figure in small or big ways its worthy of discussion and henceforth comparison. Just as you can say that you don't "think any is superior" we can all think and talk about our own thoughts and opinions on the figures, and if discussing these new figures is tiring then you don't need to engage with it or say that our thoughts are tiring.

Sim

You're missing the point.  I'm expressing that making scales more visible as opposed to less visible is not inherently worse as some seem to think.  It's tiring to see the idea that I'm challenging here being claimed over and over again.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Sim on September 19, 2024, 11:03:56 PMYou're missing the point.  I'm expressing that making scales more visible as opposed to less visible is not inherently worse as some seem to think.  It's tiring to see the idea that I'm challenging here being claimed over and over again.
Thing is some people do think its worse, and that's ok, its all just opinions and some will go against the idea your challenging, which is fine, I honestly feel its tiring that people say pnso is bad because all they do is brown colors but I let people just say what they want. that is what the forum is for ;) 

Sim

It's not all just opinions.  There are extant reptiles which have more visible scales e.g. crocodilians, and skin impressions from Mesozoic dinosaurs e.g. Triceratops, Chasmosaurus and Edmontosaurus show they had very visible scales.  Claiming more visible scales is worse is based on faulty reasoning at best and is pretending personal preference is reality at worst.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Sim on September 19, 2024, 11:49:20 PMIt's not all just opinions.  There are extant reptiles which have more visible scales e.g. crocodilians, and skin impressions from Mesozoic dinosaurs e.g. Triceratops, Chasmosaurus and Edmontosaurus show they had very visible scales.  Claiming more visible scales is worse is based on faulty reasoning at best and is pretending personal preference is reality at worst.
I understand your argument and larger scales aren't the issue per say its the application of them and the artistry of them. a good example is PNSO's edmonto, and how those thicker larger scales on neck are done as opposed to the face of some of HLGs figures where the larger scales dont seem defined enough or seem to defined, there's a balance that to me at least HLG has not mastered in there sculpt work.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.