News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Stegosaur Shoulder (or hip) spikes?

Started by Takama, February 21, 2015, 04:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

As a man with an ambitoius plan to help bring a line of dinosaur to life, i wanted to ask some things reguarding dinosaurs, that im not relly positive on.

I have quite a few stegosaurs planed for the Takamasaurus Collection (list of them can be seen in there respective section here  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KR3v1N7VQ_Qrjwx8pFh-fglD_6hpH3iLZnG_Lcf1_RQ/pub )

My qustion is what species are know to have ad Shoulder spikes, and is there any evidence that these spikes were located on the Hips Instead?   One of the Dinos I want to commission is Tuojiangosaurus multispinus, and i seen maney diffrent pictures of it with and without Shouder spikes. I seen the Skeleton on display at the Natural History Museum in London lacking them them, yet the skeletal by Scott Hartman clearly shows one

So Did it have one?  This is just one of a few Stegosurs i am unsure had shoulder spikes or not. another Issue i have comes from this post http://jerseyboyshuntdinosaurs.blogspot.com/2013/04/kentrosaurus-prehistoric-animal-of-week.html .       

QuoteThe plates and spikes of Kentrosaurus were what is called "handed", i.e., there are left and right versions of them so it is likely they were arranged in two rows down the animal's back.  Additionally there is another kind of spike found with Kentrosaurus that doesn't fit on the back or tail anywhere.  Scientists either think these spikes were on the shoulders or the hips (depending on which scientist you ask).

Is there much evidence to support this?  Another Post (  http://jerseyboyshuntdinosaurs.blogspot.com/2013/06/rough-sketches-part-2.html ) says

QuoteIt is unknown where those spikes attached on Kentrosaurus for certain since the bones were scattered when discovered.  One school of thought is on the shoulders, where they do indeed fit quite nicely but only if they are angled downwards which doesn't make much sense from a defensive standpoint since this animal's enemies would have been taller theropods attacking from above.

I want to commission the most Accurate models possible, but if none of these models come into fluietion i would at least like to learn about these things anyway

Blade-of-the-Moon

If Scott says it goes on the shoulder I'd go with that.  I know there was a discussion about them moving to the hips but I haven't seen that theory go too far in practice.

reinier zwanink

Aah nice
A kentro discussion
I have always been amazed  at that spike there
For it makes no sense what so ever
In defence it it useless there , it would be far better in the back tail
But practical it fails completly
You can get stuck very easely and therefore it would brake of very often
But just think about kentro falling on its side
That would mean the end of that animal

I find it more likely that the spikes are from other animals, especialy sinds they are of different size

Blade-of-the-Moon

I don't know ..many animals have bits and pieces that don't make logical sense..but there they are.

They could be for male "jousting" ,sexual dimorphism, perhaps their sides were more vulnerable and so the spike keeps predators out of that area.

Brontozaurus

Way too many stegosaurs have shoulder spikes for Kentrosaurus' spikes to be from another animal. And since most stegosaurs with spikes on the side have them on their shoulders, it's likely that that's where they were on Kentrosaurus too.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Gryphoceratops

Nathan, if you look at my articles that you linked again, you will see that I got most of my information from paleontologist, Dr. Heinrich Mallison.  If anybody knows Kentrosaurus, it is Dr. Mallison!  He strongly opposes shoulder spikes on Kentrosaurus.  They didn't fit well on the shoulders, and would have angled down, which is not useful.  They DO, however fit well on the hips.  The surface area of the section where they fit on the pelvis AND the base of the spike have texture suggesting this was the right spot, as well. 

The second link you shared explains this!  Anything I write on my website about Kentrosaurus, is with the consultation of Dr. Mallison, and therefore I think would be a solid safe reference. 

That being said other stegosaurs may have had spikes on the shoulder instead, but probably not Kentrosaurus.

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Takama on February 21, 2015, 04:03:48 AM
As a man with an ambitoius plan to help bring a line of dinosaur to life, i wanted to ask some things reguarding dinosaurs, that im not relly positive on.

I have quite a few stegosaurs planed for the Takamasaurus Collection (list of them can be seen in there respective section here  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KR3v1N7VQ_Qrjwx8pFh-fglD_6hpH3iLZnG_Lcf1_RQ/pub )

My qustion is what species are know to have ad Shoulder spikes, and is there any evidence that these spikes were located on the Hips Instead?   One of the Dinos I want to commission is Tuojiangosaurus multispinus, and i seen maney diffrent pictures of it with and without Shouder spikes. I seen the Skeleton on display at the Natural History Museum in London lacking them them, yet the skeletal by Scott Hartman clearly shows one

So Did it have one?  This is just one of a few Stegosurs i am unsure had shoulder spikes or not. another Issue i have comes from this post http://jerseyboyshuntdinosaurs.blogspot.com/2013/04/kentrosaurus-prehistoric-animal-of-week.html .       

QuoteThe plates and spikes of Kentrosaurus were what is called "handed", i.e., there are left and right versions of them so it is likely they were arranged in two rows down the animal's back.  Additionally there is another kind of spike found with Kentrosaurus that doesn't fit on the back or tail anywhere.  Scientists either think these spikes were on the shoulders or the hips (depending on which scientist you ask).

Is there much evidence to support this?  Another Post (  http://jerseyboyshuntdinosaurs.blogspot.com/2013/06/rough-sketches-part-2.html ) says

QuoteIt is unknown where those spikes attached on Kentrosaurus for certain since the bones were scattered when discovered.  One school of thought is on the shoulders, where they do indeed fit quite nicely but only if they are angled downwards which doesn't make much sense from a defensive standpoint since this animal's enemies would have been taller theropods attacking from above.

I want to commission the most Accurate models possible, but if none of these models come into fluietion i would at least like to learn about these things anyway

Your planning to commission an entire line?! That sounds pretty exciting! Are they going to be cast and for sale online? I would love to see forum members make online shops! I guess that's what Dinonikes did with faunacasts. when do you foresee the first one being sculpted? For sale? I like the sound of takamasaurus... But what does takama mean? I hope it works out, and soon :)
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.