You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO Tarbosaurus vs Favorite 2020 Tarbosaurus?

Started by Strepsodus, December 21, 2021, 05:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skorpio V.

Quote from: Sim on January 30, 2022, 11:33:28 PM
I've seen Tarbosaurus specimens with snouts wider than the last reconstruction that's being compared to the PNSO Tarbosaurus's head.  Some of them can be seen here: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Tarbosaurus_skulls

I also was surprised by Chuanzi's binocular vision, but my understanding is it's normal for animals to have some binocular vision, even when their eyes point primarily sideways.  More importantly, the PNSO Tarbosaurus's binocular vision seems appropriate when compared to the front view of a Tarbosaurus skull in the link above.

A lot of these differences can be chalked up to being undescribed material, juveniles, or casts. A lot of these would be difficult to measure given the poor pictures and perspectives but definitely a fair point.

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 31, 2022, 12:30:33 AM
Quote from: SRF on January 30, 2022, 09:15:02 PM
Quote from: Skorpio V. on January 30, 2022, 08:33:30 PM

I suppose it matches the taper closer, but it really doesn't seem like the skull should be splaying outward so far.

Seeing them overlapping the PNSO head is indeed still too wide. It also has some degree of binocular vision, probably more than it should have.

What about muscle, ligaments, tendons, nerves, glands, and thickness of skin?  Large animals tend to have really thick skin.  I believe elephants have skin over an inch thick?  Not sure exactly how thick it is but the accumulation of all that soft tissue might have something to do with the difference?  IDK, just speculating as to why such a difference.

Those were my first thoughts, but it still doesn't explain why it splays outward like it does. Theropod skulls don't have much extra tissues relative to mammals. Even then, the integument would just change the overall volume not its shape, or at least not as dramatically. Like, I really don't think we should be able to see the eyes from the dorsal view.

Either way, I'd still choose Chuanzi over the newer Favorite co. option.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Skorpio V. on January 30, 2022, 08:33:30 PM
Either way, I'd still choose Chuanzi over the newer Favorite co. option.

Absolutely, it's not really close the favorite looks like a toy by comparison and that's okay and I still want one but it's not in the same class as the PNSO.  I finally came around to buying a chubbysaurus and I love it!  I can't believe I was going to pass on it.  In a separate thread I wrote why I think chubbysaurus has the best pose I've ever seen in a theropod.  here's the link if you're interested...
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10053.0

Antey

these are the skulls of tarbosaurus and the collections of the Moscow Museum

Antey

But much more I'm interested in how the Tarbosaurus PNSO corresponds to the skeleton in the torso area. Don't you think it turned out too thick??

Sim

stargatedalek

Sim

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 31, 2022, 03:04:44 AM
Absolutely, it's not really close the favorite looks like a toy by comparison and that's okay and I still want one but it's not in the same class as the PNSO.  I finally came around to buying a chubbysaurus and I love it!  I can't believe I was going to pass on it.  In a separate thread I wrote why I think chubbysaurus has the best pose I've ever seen in a theropod.  here's the link if you're interested...

I'm glad you're happy with your PNSO Tarbosaurus, avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS!  Although I too recommend the PNSO Tarbosaurus over the Favorite one, if you like Favorite figures I'd recommend the Tarbosaurus too, it's a good little figure.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Sim on January 31, 2022, 05:56:36 PM

I'm glad you're happy with your PNSO Tarbosaurus, avatar_CARN0TAURUS @CARN0TAURUS!  Although I too recommend the PNSO Tarbosaurus over the Favorite one, if you like Favorite figures I'd recommend the Tarbosaurus too, it's a good little figure.

I love favorite soft model dinosaurs, I have handful of the 2004 and handful of the 2013 series.   I hope to get this 2020 Tarbosaurus at some point too.  For whatever reason these Japanese toys are hard to find here in the US :(

SidB

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 31, 2022, 06:25:34 PM
Quote from: Sim on January 31, 2022, 05:56:36 PM

I love favorite soft model dinosaurs, I have handful of the 2004 and handful of the 2013 series.   I hope to get this 2020 Tarbosaurus at some point too.  For whatever reason these Japanese toys are hard to find here in the US :(
I love them too - I believe that I have all of their soft model dinos from 2004 to the present (Giganotosaurus on order), including a number of subvariants.. It seems that , typically, the Japanese companies are not too concerned about marketing their products outside of Japan, though they are available through intermediaries, like our Brett.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.