You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO Tarbosaurus vs Favorite 2020 Tarbosaurus?

Started by Strepsodus, December 21, 2021, 05:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strepsodus

I'm having trouble deciding which one is better?

Shonisaurus

Each one obeys a commercial philosophy of the company, the Favorite tarbosaurus is good, although I prefer the limited special version and I honestly think the PNSO tarbosaurus is better finished (although it is also more expensive, the more expensive the product is, the more possibilities it takes to be a better figure) and is also bigger.

In my case my favorite tarbosaurus figure is the PNSO one followed very closely not by this Favorite tarbosaurus but by its much larger counterpart in a limited version.

Bread

I would go for PNSO's. Although it does have some odd proportions, I think it really defines a good hefty Tarbosaurus. As a result, it has good shelf presence.

Like avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus said, the superior Tarbosaurus would be Favorite Co.'s 2012 1:40 scale release. That one is beautiful, but rather expensive. I feel like their current one, which you have pictured, is somewhat of a downgrade from their 2012 version, but to each their own opinion.

Gwangi

PNSO. It might be a bit hefty but Favorite's is a bit too lean, as Favorite models tend to be. And PNSO's displays on a shelf significantly better.

Fembrogon

The Favorite Soft Model seems pretty close to the skeletals I've seen of the animal; I'd argue the PNSO is much more exaggerated in bulk than the favorite is in leanness.
The PNSO certainly looks more highly detailed, however, and I think is a fair bit larger. Favorite's models tend on the smaller side.

stargatedalek

dinofelid

Quote from: Fembrogon on December 21, 2021, 06:39:20 PM
The Favorite Soft Model seems pretty close to the skeletals I've seen of the animal; I'd argue the PNSO is much more exaggerated in bulk than the favorite is in leanness.
The PNSO certainly looks more highly detailed, however, and I think is a fair bit larger. Favorite's models tend on the smaller side.

I think the new trend towards "fat" tyrannosaurs has to do with the preserved position of the gastralia in some tyrannosaur fossils--see the "skeleton" section of this post from the blog of the Saurian game (which talks about consulting with a paleontologist and a particular find in which the position of the gastralia was preserved in the fossil matrix), along with these images of the new reconstruction of Sue the Tyrannosaurus, which mention gastralia at the bottom of the page.

JohannesB

As you see, ultimately it is just a personal preference. Good look trying to choose ;-)

MesozoicJohn

I would be happy to have either in my collection but if I had to choose one it would be the one by PNSO.

John :)

Fembrogon

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 21, 2021, 06:45:15 PM
The old Favorite Tarbosaurus is leagues ahead of them both.

http://dinotoyblog.com/2017/05/25/tarbosaurus-favorite-co-ltd/
*cries in museum exclusive*

Quote from: dinofelid on December 21, 2021, 07:10:02 PM
I think the new trend towards "fat" tyrannosaurs has to do with the preserved position of the gastralia in some tyrannosaur fossils--see the "skeleton" section of this post from the blog of the Saurian game (which talks about consulting with a paleontologist and a particular find in which the position of the gastralia was preserved in the fossil matrix), along with these images of the new reconstruction of Sue the Tyrannosaurus, which mention gastralia at the bottom of the page.
Oh, absolutely; the gastralia studies have ushered in quite a new look for tyrannosaurs, and it's a good look, imo. Even with the gastralia, though, the PNSO figure looks much bigger in the belly than most skeletals I've seen.

Sim

I'm going to disagree on the old Favorite being better, it has weirdly uniform teeth, unconvincing feathering and weird oversized scales.  I had the newer Favorite and I found it pleasant, but I was happy to replace it with the PNSO version which I like much more.  The PNSO Tarbosaurus is one of my favourite figures!

Sim

Quote from: Fembrogon on December 21, 2021, 08:20:44 PM
Oh, absolutely; the gastralia studies have ushered in quite a new look for tyrannosaurs, and it's a good look, imo. Even with the gastralia, though, the PNSO figure looks much bigger in the belly than most skeletals I've seen.

I see what you mean when comparing the figure to skeletals, but the figure seems to match some reconstructed skeletons I've seen on the Tarbosaurus Wikipedia page.

SRF

If you ask me, PNSO's Tarbosaurus is still one of their best offerings of 2021. I would definitely pick that one.
But today, I'm just being father

CARN0TAURUS

The PNSO is far and away more polished but it's not on the menu for me because it just looks off to me.  Too many things seem out of proportion.  I've been told by several people that I should give it a chance that Id like it more in person.  The favorite one is probably a fraction of the price, right?  Like $17-20 bucks?  IDK but I've seen these favorite models really really pop when given a decent paint job.  The PNSO has a very plain look to it but PNSO does a lot of cool things with airbrushes, fading, washes, and pigments that really make their figures look next gen.  So I would never dream of repainting their tarbosaurus even if I got one for free because of all the subtle detail PNSO adds thru their techniques.  Plus it's a $45 figure so not repainting that.  BTW, I didn't even know about the favorite tarbosaurus, where can I buy one?  That's precisely the type of figure I'd love to repaint and I like the easy going plain pose.

Look what earth108 did with his 2013 favorite allosaurus, it looks amazing!
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4015.0

CARN0TAURUS

I love favorite figures, they're smaller but loaded with details.  I probably have more favorite figures than any other brand, 2004 series, 2013 series, I have a bunch of them, just love their dinosaurs.  I don't care that they're not the most accurate I know that sounds dumb but I just like them.

Sim

Thialfi

Leaning heavily towards the PNSO one. It looks amazing in person, the proportions make a lot more sense. I kind of feared the feet would be on the big side but owning it took away that concern. Love the sober colours, the girth and the heft: such a powerful looking figure. A predator pur sang.

The Favorite one looks a bit generic and skinny to me, and the colours a lot less impressive.

Duna

PNSO Tarbosaurus is the only figure from this year I purchased the same day it was on sale (what I don't do normally), so that does explain everything. I have bought very few models this year and this one of the musts.
It has too large feet probably and the back foot is larger than the other (not taking into account the pose), but doesn't distract a lot.
I has more presence in a shelf than any of the others would do, as they look as toys.

Bokisaurus

As much as I love the Favorite special version, after all I reviewed it, it doesn't have the same impressive visual presence that the PNSO have.
While the beauty of the favorite is easily seen on many photos, the PNSO really has a different and much impactful when seen in person.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Sim on December 21, 2021, 08:21:40 PM
I'm going to disagree on the old Favorite being better, it has weirdly uniform teeth, unconvincing feathering and weird oversized scales.  I had the newer Favorite and I found it pleasant, but I was happy to replace it with the PNSO version which I like much more.  The PNSO Tarbosaurus is one of my favourite figures!

With all this positive feedback on the PNSO, I'm starting to come around to the chubbysaurus, I'm thinking I might have to get this one after all.  I love that the skin is to scale, the elongated face and the plain coloration I can live with.  And the eyes appear to be in proportion to his head unlike Wilson 2.0.  The girth is not the issue for me, the issue I've had with this figure has always been from the knee joint down, the calves look huge and the bones in the lower leg and feet appear oversized.  Heck they might be bigger than on Wilson but hard to know without having both in hand.  If you have these in your collection can you let me know if this is an optical illusion or if in fact the Tarbosaurus has oversized calves, lower legs, and feet? 

The favorite really does look like a toy by comparison, doesn't it?   And it probably can't stand without the base, it's probably for the best I didn't even know anything about it until I read this thread.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: