News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Poses in Theropod figures…

Started by CARN0TAURUS, January 26, 2022, 07:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CARN0TAURUS

We talk a lot about scales, lips or no lips,  the way a model is painted, size of the feet, whether it can stand on it's own, or if a base is needed etc.  But I want to know how much the pose factors in to your purchase.  Do guys have a rubric or scale of categories that a theropod has to meet before you buy it and what role does the pose play in that assessment?

I'm bringing this up because after a 6-7 year hiatus from collecting, I started collecting again when the safari ltd Giganotosaurus was released about 5-6 years ago.  I still think it has one of the most amazing and dynamic poses I've ever seen on a PVC model, granted safari ltd kind of cheated by using a base on it.  But irregardless I think I came back at the right time, it seems like bone scanning combined with computer assisted design has really pushed PVC figure companies into a whole new era.  Basically it's a good time to be an adult collector of these new and more expensive figures.

Getting back to poses, of non-base using PVC theropods, is there one in particular that lured you guys in like a fish on a hook?  Is there a pose in particular you guys couldn't resist and still stands out from the crowd on your display case?  I'm not talking about expensive resin sculptures, I'm interested to know what PVC theropod dinosaurs you guys felt compelled to purchase because of their pose irregardless if you had any plans to buy that particular species etc.

Personally I prefer simple science book cutaway poses like the one Rebor is using on their upcoming Tusk and Kiss releases.  The dinosaur is simply looking ahead, chest up, tail extended, going from point A to point B on a flat surface.  You guys probably find this sort of thing boring?  I'd like to know the different takes because it seems to me that often times companies try too hard to put the animals in interesting poses and too often they miss the mark and end up creating something that looks a bit odd or unnatural.   

For example Wilson 2.0, is he in the process of picking something up off the ground with his jaws?  Is he lunging in attack towards some imagined prey?  He doesn't appear to be in a natural walking pose to me, his chest is too close to the ground it seems like his legs would have a hard time propelling him at that angle without sending him head first into the ground.

On the other hand a dinosaur that I've been really down on before because of some proportional issues, I'm now considering buying solely because I think it has one of the best poses I've EVER seen on a theropod!  From looking at photos and watching reviews on the PNSO 2021 Tarbosaurus I've come to the conclusion that it has the ultimate pose I would want to see on my future T-rex models.  The head is up, it's taking a powerful step that gives it a sinister and purposeful look.  And the sway of the head to tail looks like it would be a natural motion the animal would have when walking quickly like that.  It seems to be using it's powerful muscles in the tail to propell and balance it as it heads for it's target.  My favorite images of it are from the front and the back, many PVC theropods look goofy from those angles but not chubbysaurus, he looks balanced and natural. 

I've decided I'm going to buy Chubbysaurus despite his elongated snout, his ballon like calves, and oversized lower legs and feet.  Upon further review this pose is just too dang good to pass up!  I sincerely hope PNSO themselves decide to reuse this pose on a future Wilson reboot or other theropods.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 26, 2022, 07:44:55 PM
We talk a lot about scales, lips or no lips,  the way a model is painted, size of the feet, whether it can stand on it's own, or if a base is needed etc.  But I want to know how much the pose factors in to your purchase.  Do guys have a rubric or scale of categories that a theropod has to meet before you buy it and what role does the pose play in that assessment?

I'm bringing this up because after a 6-7 year hiatus from collecting, I started collecting again when the safari ltd Giganotosaurus was released about 5-6 years ago.  I still think it has one of the most amazing and dynamic poses I've ever seen on a PVC model, granted safari ltd kind of cheated by using a base on it.  But irregardless I think I came back at the right time, it seems like bone scanning combined with computer assisted design has really pushed PVC figure companies into a whole new era.  Basically it's a good time to be an adult collector of these new and more expensive figures.

Getting back to poses, of non-base using PVC theropods, is there one in particular that lured you guys in like a fish on a hook?  Is there a pose in particular you guys couldn't resist and still stands out from the crowd on your display case?  I'm not talking about expensive resin sculptures, I'm interested to know what PVC theropod dinosaurs you guys felt compelled to purchase because of their pose irregardless if you had any plans to buy that particular species etc.

Personally I prefer simple science book cutaway poses like the one Rebor is using on their upcoming Tusk and Kiss releases.  The dinosaur is simply looking ahead, chest up, tail extended, going from point A to point B on a flat surface.  You guys probably find this sort of thing boring?  I'd like to know the different takes because it seems to me that often times companies try too hard to put the animals in interesting poses and too often they miss the mark and end up creating something that looks a bit odd or unnatural.   

For example Wilson 2.0, is he in the process of picking something up off the ground with his jaws?  Is he lunging in attack towards some imagined prey?  He doesn't appear to be in a natural walking pose to me, his chest is too close to the ground it seems like his legs would have a hard time propelling him at that angle without sending him head first into the ground.

On the other hand a dinosaur that I've been really down on before because of some proportional issues, I'm now considering buying solely because I think it has one of the best poses I've EVER seen on a theropod!  From looking at photos and watching reviews on the PNSO 2021 Tarbosaurus I've come to the conclusion that it has the ultimate pose I would want to see on my future T-rex models.  The head is up, it's taking a powerful step that gives it a sinister and purposeful look.  And the sway of the head to tail looks like it would be a natural motion the animal would have when walking quickly like that.  It seems to be using it's powerful muscles in the tail to propell and balance it as it heads for it's target.  My favorite images of it are from the front and the back, many PVC theropods look goofy from those angles but not chubbysaurus, he looks balanced and natural. 

I've decided I'm going to buy Chubbysaurus despite his elongated snout, his ballon like calves, and oversized lower legs and feet.  Upon further review this pose is just too dang good to pass up!  I sincerely hope PNSO themselves decide to reuse this pose on a future Wilson reboot or other theropods.
Get the EoFauna Giganotosaurus
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Duna

That's an interesting opinion, yes. Particularly I like nothing of Wilson 2.0 (excepting maybe the colour). But what most annoys me is the pose (the corn cob snout, too, but less). Just look at the gorgeous statue of Sue to see a very well executed crouching pose that do looks real, you can see the strenght and balance in that figure an a nice use of the tail. Wilson looks like he's going to fall on his snout.

Yes, chubbysaurus has an impossing pose, just doing a powerful step. GR Carcharodontosaurus and Eofauna giganotosaurus have simple but very natural poses that work very well, too. Light but powerful and balanced at the same time.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on January 26, 2022, 08:00:52 PM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 26, 2022, 07:44:55 PM

Get the EoFauna Giganotosaurus

I have it and I love it but when it comes to frontal and rear view the chubbysaurus has it beat.  We are bipedal animals too, if you pay attention to your tracks on snow, sand or mud you'll notice that both left and right footprints end up lining up and being pretty close to one another.  Look at the eofauna Giganotosaurus from the front and rear and you'll see how splayed out the feet are.  Almost all the theropods suffer from this issue and it's something I feel PNSO has been trying to perfect.  On Wilson the feet line up too much and it seems if he takes another step he'll trip over his own feet.  Paul, Gamba, and Connor have a healthy looking stride but none of them look as good as on the Tarbosaurus.  I think thry really hit the nail on the head with chubbysaurus.  I can't wait to see it person.

Lynx

I don't usually buy many therapods due to shelf space, but here's my rubric currently when something does get my attention!

Questions
1. Does it have at least two positive reviews?
2. Is it something that would fall into the shadows of my massive therapod collection, or would it be able to stand out?
3. If it has a base, can it actually hold up the figure?
4. Does it have lips? If so, does it fit properly with the figure? Will it cause quality issues with teeth or stick out like a sore thumb?
5. Will it hold up on its own?

Rubric
- Has to have at least some accuracy (no major shrinkwrapping)
- Can't be based on JP
- Can not be a mini
- Would prefer a detachable base
- Has to be able to stand against some heat and a bit of wear (I live in Florida and take photographs, so the figure has to be able to handle that)
- Can not have moveable joints for legs or major arm articulation unless it has a stand
- Can't have clown feet
- Coloration can not be too sharp or janky
- While I don't mind dull colour schemes, I will prefer vibrance and unique patterns.

I think the first therapod to lure me in was Winter Wilson, and now the GR Toys Spinosaurus and REBOR Kiss and Tusk. The figure that stands out the most on the therapod shelves is likely the Carnegie rex, which thanks to the wonderful red hues get most peoples attention. As for the pose, I don't really care. If it has life, it is fine.
An oversized house cat.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Duna on January 26, 2022, 08:16:00 PM
That's an interesting opinion, yes. Particularly I like nothing of Wilson 2.0 (excepting maybe the colour). But what most annoys me is the pose (the corn cob snout, too, but less). Just look at the gorgeous statue of Sue to see a very well executed crouching pose that do looks real, you can see the strenght and balance in that figure an a nice use of the tail. Wilson looks like he's going to fall on his snout.

Yes, chubbysaurus has an impossing pose, just doing a powerful step. GR Carcharodontosaurus and Eofauna giganotosaurus have simple but very natural poses that work very well, too. Light but powerful and balanced at the same time.

The sue statue is beautiful and graceful.  Allowing of course for such a terrifying animal to be described in that way.  It really exemplifies the importance of the tail with the animal using it to counter lever the weight of the head and upper body.  Their brains calculating all the complex mathematical adjustments required to keep their balance as they lifted something in their mouths.  Kind like the way engineers balance modern cranes moving their counterweights to lift different things, but T-rex had to do it on the fly using only it's feet, legs, tail, and maybe even their claws.

Like I said in a previous post almost all the theropods suffer from the goofy frontal and rear look.  With mold makers and people engineering the figures try to make them stand on 2 feet.  Most have stances where their legs are splayed out some much more than others.  Very few place the legs close to each other like they should, I think PNSO is really ahead of everyone else in replicating this feature properly.

CARN0TAURUS

I don't think I'd ever really really thought about poses in theropod figures as much as I am now.  We've seen many companies portray theropods roaring and most of them show the animals rearing up almost standing like the collecta allosaurus or the favorite feathered t-rex.  This is what I'm referring to about companies kind of overdoing it to the point where the poses don't look natural.

Take this little Kaiyodo for instance, unfortunately I don't own this but I love this pose!  It looks so natural!  He's roaring and yes they cheated with a base but I can't think of a single reason this pose wouldn't balance properly.  The feet are not splayed out, it's a fantastic little figure!  I hope I can get one at some point but wouldn't this be amazing at 1/35 scale!?

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Duna on January 26, 2022, 08:16:00 PM

The snout having large scales is accurate
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Skorpio V.

One that immediately comes to mind is the CollectA Lythronax!

Although the feet are kinda wonky; the head tilted high, the mouth agape, and the super interesting feather reconstruction on the head makes it really stand out. One thing though, is that I don't think we would benefit from having multiple figures with this pose because it seems like it'd get stale fast.

I'm indifferent to bases, if it needs one then I'm fine with it. If it can go baseless with properly-sized feet, then that's great. If I wanted to make a diorama where I'd have to have bases omitted, then I could probably find a way to just hide the feet and base altogether.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Flaffy

I wonder why removable slot-in bases like how Favorite Co. does things hasn't managed to catch on.
It satisfies both crowds. Those who'd like to display their figures long term without additional support can simply slot their theropods onto a base, while those who aren't a fan of bases can remove them at any time without damaging the figure. (and I heard that baseless dinosaur models sell better than ones with bases due to playability)

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Flaffy on January 26, 2022, 10:02:04 PM
I wonder why removable slot-in bases like how Favorite Co. does things hasn't managed to catch on.
It satisfies both crowds. Those who'd like to display their figures long term without additional support can simply slot their theropods onto a base, while those who aren't a fan of bases can remove them at any time without damaging the figure. (and I heard that baseless dinosaur models sell better than ones with bases due to playability)

You bring up some excellent points, my first reaction to that question is $, it costs more to include a base?  Especially in toys like the safari ltd or some ofmthe collectA dinosaurs which are clearly meant for playing, it makes sense that children would prefer not having a base.  But what of these  newer $45-$70 dollar PVC collectables?  I can't imagine letting a small child play with one unless I had a second copy or the child was older and wasn't going to get cut on the teeth or claws during play time, like maybe an 10-12 year old?  IDK but to me some of these are not meant for play.  IMO theropod figure over $40 should include a very simple removable generic oval base that keeps the model from warping or toppling over on the display case. 

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Skorpio V. on January 26, 2022, 09:57:20 PM
One that immediately comes to mind is the CollectA Lythronax!

Although the feet are kinda wonky; the head tilted high, the mouth agape, and the super interesting feather reconstruction on the head makes it really stand out. One thing though, is that I don't think we would benefit from having multiple figures with this pose because it seems like it'd get stale fast.

I'm indifferent to bases, if it needs one then I'm fine with it. If it can go baseless with properly-sized feet, then that's great. If I wanted to make a diorama where I'd have to have bases omitted, then I could probably find a way to just hide the feet and base altogether.

Good one!  I forgot about this figure probably because I passed on it for two reasons one of which you already mentioned.  The legs and feet just don't look right.  And and second reason was that the tail seems a bit long too.  I think it's kind of silly that it includes a base and that the feet are still a bit oversized, LOL.

CARN0TAURUS

I'm not being facetious when I post this, but I think I can finally find a way that I'd be happy posing Wilson 2.0.  He just needs the correct angled base to look legit because he is clearly climbing a hill.  I think Wilson's posture is spot on for a T-rex going up slope.

Bread

I like different but yet stable poses. Bases are a hit or miss for me. If I really like the figure and it has a base, I'll be fine with it if it supports its amazing pose.

Example (although a movie monster): Nanmu's Once and Future King Tyrannosaurus has a different pose you don't see quite often. Somewhat of a curious and low to the ground posture, but remains stable. And generally the stability of this figure was a factor in its purchase for myself.

Another example: PNSO's Yutyrannus, odd pose and I was against it at first, but once in hand it really works well especially for the genus.

All in all, I don't have a set plan, and I think a good majority of collectors purchase a theraopod or figure in general on whether they like it or not. Stability plays a key roll though for collectors, followed by bases. Some automatically pass on figures with bases.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Bread on January 26, 2022, 11:18:37 PM
I like different but yet stable poses. Bases are a hit or miss for me. If I really like the figure and it has a base, I'll be fine with it if it supports its amazing pose.

Example (although a movie monster): Nanmu's Once and Future King Tyrannosaurus has a different pose you don't see quite often. Somewhat of a curious and low to the ground posture, but remains stable. And generally the stability of this figure was a factor in its purchase for myself.

Another example: PNSO's Yutyrannus, odd pose and I was against it at first, but once in hand it really works well especially for the genus.

All in all, I don't have a set plan, and I think a good majority of collectors purchase a theraopod or figure in general on whether they like it or not. Stability plays a key roll though for collectors, followed by bases. Some automatically pass on figures with bases.

The yutyrannus pose reminds me of the way many raptor models are portrayed.  My thinking is that it having feathers has something to do with that pose which I think is silly.  But just how plausible is the pose?  IDK because yutyrannus grew to 30 feet in length, correct?  To reach 30 ft in length It had to have weighed in the neighborhood of 3 tons so traditional pose like on the safari version might've made more sense.  That said, for some reason I just like the pnso yutyrannus even with the pose being a bit strange.  I'm probably going to buy it at some point because it just looks cool, LOL

SRF

I don't feel Wilson is in a unnatural pose at all, but his pose works best if you place him on your shelf charging at a Triceratops (luckily we now have Doyle 2.0!). I do feel his tail could probably be a bit thicker to give the image of counter balancing the weight of him charging forward. But the figure is so very well balanced the way it is that I find his pose very believable. Wilons pose is very much like the pose of the AMNH 5027 skeleton reconstruction which it is based on, slightly leaning more forward.

Personally, I like poses that give the impression that the animal is active and alive, doing natural things. When it comes to PNSO theropods, I actually like the pose of the Yutyrannus the most. It reminds me a bit of the pose of T. Rex Trix that resides in the Naturalis Museum here in the Netherlands.

The theropods with the least dynamic poses are also the least interesting for me, that being the Torvosaurus and the Carcharodontosaurus when it comes to PNSO theropods. Not saying that they are bad figures though.

A unique resting pose like Andrea's (besides the obvious flaws in the legs on that one of course) makes a figure also a lot more interesting.
But today, I'm just being father

Jose S.M.

Personally, the "boring" walking pose is my favorite. I don't really like the "frozen in action" kind of poses, like the ones on most of Papo's theropods. I like the mouth to be closed or slightly opened, the big roaring jaws don't appealing to me that much.

Bread

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 27, 2022, 01:58:08 AM
Quote from: Bread on January 26, 2022, 11:18:37 PM

The yutyrannus pose reminds me of the way many raptor models are portrayed.  My thinking is that it having feathers has something to do with that pose which I think is silly.  But just how plausible is the pose?  IDK because yutyrannus grew to 30 feet in length, correct?  To reach 30 ft in length It had to have weighed in the neighborhood of 3 tons so traditional pose like on the safari version might've made more sense.  That said, for some reason I just like the pnso yutyrannus even with the pose being a bit strange.  I'm probably going to buy it at some point because it just looks cool, LOL
Yes exactly. Again, I was originally against it because of how low to the ground it is at, but it looked so much better in hand as opposed to images. I would say in hand compared to images also really sway a person's opinion on the figure's pose, followed by just the figure in general.
Quote from: SRF on January 27, 2022, 11:28:10 AM
I don't feel Wilson is in a unnatural pose at all, but his pose works best if you place him on your shelf charging at a Triceratops (luckily we now have Doyle 2.0!). I do feel his tail could probably be a bit thicker to give the image of counter balancing the weight of him charging forward. But the figure is so very well balanced the way it is that I find his pose very believable. Wilons pose is very much like the pose of the AMNH 5027 skeleton reconstruction which it is based on, slightly leaning more forward.
I agree. I found Wilson's pose to be quite natural. Honestly I don't understand the sudden bashing this figure is getting all of the sudden, just because a new rival to a more updated Tyrannosaurus figure has shown up apparently. It has its issues with scales and mouth, but I wouldn't go as far to say its pose is unnatural.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Jose S.M. on January 27, 2022, 01:27:44 PM
Personally, the "boring" walking pose is my favorite. I don't really like the "frozen in action" kind of poses, like the ones on most of Papo's theropods. I like the mouth to be closed or slightly opened, the big roaring jaws don't appealing to me that much.

Same, just simple walking poses are awesome.  One we rarely get to see on theropods is a still and not moving, just a simple STANDING pose.  It's almost like manufacturers and sculptors feel like the moment the  animal stops it's less interesting or it will fall over, LOL.

Picture the following scenario, it's plausible and probably happened millions of times.   "A T-rex has been feeding hears or sees another T-rex heading in his direction, while standing still it raises it's head and slightly turns to look in that direction."  Something as simple as that I'd be super excited about because with so many T-rexs lunging, running, or walking, now with a standing one you could pose two T-rex about to have an interaction of some sort.  The implied intent in sculpture is often as or even more captivating than seeing something in full blown action because it allows the brain to come up with it's own ideas about what is about to happen.  And that sort of thing is great for a child's imagination too when playing with these little guys.

Take this pose here as an example, it's so so simple.  BTW, I'm not a fan of the piece but I do love this pose because it's so subtle.  The animal appears to be walking somewhere and a scent caught it's attention it slows down a bit to slightly raise it's head and smell the air.  What I know about these animals is that they had a very strong sense of smell so having pieces that show these guys smelling the air just seems like a good idea but how often are they portrayed behaving like that?

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SRF on January 27, 2022, 11:28:10 AM

Personally, I like poses that give the impression that the animal is active and alive, doing natural things. When it comes to PNSO theropods, I actually like the pose of the Yutyrannus the most. It reminds me a bit of the pose of T. Rex Trix that resides in the Naturalis Museum here in the Netherlands.

The theropods with the least dynamic poses are also the least interesting for me, that being the Torvosaurus and the Carcharodontosaurus when it comes to PNSO theropods. Not saying that they are bad figures though.

A unique resting pose like Andrea's (besides the obvious flaws in the legs on that one of course) makes a figure also a lot more interesting.

Wilson's pose reminds me a lot of an old dinosaur book illustration I loved back in the 1970s when I was in elementary school.  I checked this book out the maximum number of times allowed per month every single month of third grade year.  Nobody else was checking it out when I wasn't and so the card was filled up with my name.  The librarian at the school offerred to sell it me for a quarter at the end of the school year!  It was like Christmas in June!  I was over the moon and without hesitation I immediately used my milk money on the book, LOL!  It was one of my most prized possessions in my room.  Unfortunately I don't have the book anymore :(  the illistrations in this book were painted by JH Matternes. 

Wilson's pose reminds me of this image but looking to his right instead of left like the T-rex in the illustration.  Wilson appears to be making a rapid move to outflank his prey by circling around to it's rear much like what this old painting shows this  T-rex doing.  But unlike the old painting Wilson's chest is much lower to the ground so he must be frozen in mid strike like if he's just about to make contact.

At least that's how I interpret the wilson 2.0 pose.  On the scale of overdone bad poses it doesn't even register.  So perhaps I've come across as overly critical of it and but that wasn't my intention.  For the price it's just the wrong pose and wrong skin for me.  If I'm going to pay that much I want to be as close to satisfied with all those things first and so I find myself waiting for Wilson 3.0.  Read back on my posts and I've actually paid wilson many compliments too.  The hands, feet, and I love the lipless look so Wilson would've been a purchase for me if the skin was better because the pose while not ideal for me it would've been acceptable nonetheless.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: