News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

3D prints by Wally-217

Started by Wally-217, March 31, 2024, 05:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally-217

Hope it's okay to post this here! I started getting impatient at the lack of representation for iconic species, so I started foraying into 3D sculpting and printing. It's been a steep learning curve but I finally have everything ready to start setting up a store but I'd love to get some opinions from the community first, particularly around pre-painted figures. How much do people tend to pay for painted models? I think the best case would be matching PNSO's $40-80 range but I've seen resin casts from companies like Musea and Dafei retail at upwards of $200, and comissions for painting/scuplts in similar ranges. I'm thinking $100 + shipping might be reasonable for a mid-sized figure like this one? Considering i'm already $2K into this hobby for equipment and software alone, I don't feel guilty charging more for a "complete" figure.

But anyways, here's my first model! Gigantoraptor erlianensis, printed at 1/40 scale on an Elegoo Saturn 3 12K. I cleaned up the model and set up a store on Cults3D (https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/gigantoraptor-1-35-1-40-scale) if anyone wants the STL. It's still a little rougher than I'd like but I'm quite happy with the final result as it's only the second 3d model that I've actually finished. It has a decent amount of heft to it and stands quite stable on its own (I'd say comparable if not slightly better than HLG's carnotaurus). I'll add some painted photos once I get my airbrush set up. I'm aiming to tick off all the species that you cant buy realistic figures or 3d files of, like megatherium, arctodus, non-dinosaur archosaurs and maybe some Skull island fauna. Open to any feedback and criticisms of the models themselves.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Hey! I can't believe I just saw this page, but this looks super interesting W @Wally-217!

Concavenator

That Gigantoraptor looks very good!

And Megatherium you say? Now you have me curious.  ;D

If you're looking for suggestions, I think Austroraptor would be a very interesting choice. For sure, no good figure of it exists, it's known from decent remains and there have been quite a few people asking for figures of it, especially after its appearance on Prehistoric Planet. Herrerasaurus comes to mind too.

P.S. If I understand correctly, would you sell your figures painted?

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Following on that, if I had to suggest figures Shunosaurus and Nemegtosaurus are a couple I'd love to see, as well as Gallimimus.

Concavenator

I would love a Shunosaurus too, but if the Gigantoraptor will be 100 USD, a Shunosaurus might be out of my price range.

Wally-217

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Had to move my whole set up regardless so I haven't been able to get much done yet! I think I'll probably just do a small batch of painted figures on the cheaper side and see how sustainable that is. The material cost is fairly cheap but it's all the wastage that makes it hard to gauge (disposable gloves, tissue, cleaner, primer, misprints etc). I'm still taking note of all your suggestions but I do want to make a store for the STLs too so anything that's available already as a print will be lower priority! Tackling some mammals at the moment as the anatomy is fairly similar but after that I want to try my luck at pseudosuchians.

Have a peak at a very WIP Megatherium. As always, criticism is very welcome.

Perotorum

I strongly recomend the models from Dino and Dog on Myminifactory, they are of aimilar quality to PNSO, but they are generally far cheaper.

thomasw100

Quote from: Perotorum on May 08, 2024, 01:15:30 PMI strongly recomend the models from Dino and Dog on Myminifactory, they are of aimilar quality to PNSO, but they are generally far cheaper.

There are more 3D paleoartists that sell their models, either through myminifactory or directly. There is of course Dino and Dog and there is Miniature Museum. Both sell their 3D files through myminifactory or you can get them printed from Dinosauria Creatures. Further there is VFB Paleoart, which makes some quite interesting models. He sells the print files directly or you can get the models printed through Dinosauria Creatures. These are all good.

But in my view the best and most scientifically accurate are the models of Paleokhris. The level of textural detail and fineness is just amazing. This is the only 3D paleoartist that offers a proper 3D printable Amargasaurus with the modern level reconstruction of the sail. Plus Paleokhris offers many great sauropods. He also offers a number of local South American Species which you never see from any company or 3D paleoartist. He sells the prints directly or you can get the 3D printing file. The latter are not cheap though. I got a few for large sauropods, but for smaller species it was way cheaper to get the prints.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I believe you guys have missed the point of this thread lol

thomasw100

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on May 08, 2024, 06:03:47 PMI believe you guys have missed the point of this thread lol

The previous poster highlighted a single 3D paleoartist. My intention was to put this a bit more into perspective.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: thomasw100 on May 08, 2024, 09:03:41 PM
Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on May 08, 2024, 06:03:47 PMI believe you guys have missed the point of this thread lol

The previous poster highlighted a single 3D paleoartist. My intention was to put this a bit more into perspective.
Oh yeah no it's not your fault, just trying to steer us back on track as I believe this was intended for Wally to showcase his work.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

On a similar note I'm loving that megatherium and it's a figure I'd be more than excited to pick up!

Wally-217

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on May 08, 2024, 09:24:15 PMOn a similar note I'm loving that megatherium and it's a figure I'd be more than excited to pick up!

Thanks!!
It's been stuck like that for a several weeks now  :)) , that's exactly the motivation I need to push through the slump ❤️

I don't mind so much if people deem it useful to plug other artists, I only really started learning sculpting to complete my own collection 😁. For example I know Miniature Museum have a good Austroraptor. I'm sure there'd be local warhammer/tabletop circles that could print and paint small models.

Perotorum

As is per usual, I am indeed an idiot, I just wanted to share from one modeller and collector of dead stuff to another on recommended figures that one may desire to print.

danmalcolm

Wally, is your gigantoraptor STL available for purchase? What's the price of it? Thanks

Shuvuuia

I'll second the request for Shunosaurus and Gallimimus. We're long overdo for a quality ornithomimids, and Shunosaurus has just the one Safari figure unless I'm forgetting one.

Concavenator

I second avatar_Shuvuuia @Shuvuuia 's suggestions.  :)

Wally-217

Quote from: danmalcolm on May 30, 2024, 01:55:21 PMWally, is your gigantoraptor STL available for purchase? What's the price of it? Thanks
I cleaned up the model today and uploaded it on Cults3D. You can get the STL from here: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/gigantoraptor-1-35-1-40-scale
I set the STL at £8 :)

I will probably also print a small batch at the weekend just to test it, since I was planning to paint a bunch of models anyway!

As for Shunosaurus, it would make good practise before tackling bigger sauropods. It was also one of my favourite genus at one point. I will definitely consider it.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Wally-217 on May 31, 2024, 12:13:25 AM
Quote from: danmalcolm on May 30, 2024, 01:55:21 PMWally, is your gigantoraptor STL available for purchase? What's the price of it? Thanks
I cleaned up the model today and uploaded it on Cults3D. You can get the STL from here: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/gigantoraptor-1-35-1-40-scale
I set the STL at £8 :)

I will probably also print a small batch at the weekend just to test it, since I was planning to paint a bunch of models anyway!

As for Shunosaurus, it would make good practise before tackling bigger sauropods. It was also one of my favourite genus at one point. I will definitely consider it.

Sorry it took so long to respond but that looks quite nice! I may just have to get it and see if I can get it printed out somewhere...

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.