News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Perucetus colossus

Started by Stegotyranno420, August 02, 2023, 07:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

i'm pretty sure it was, to my recollection.   I remember I had a magazine article, with really nice artwork....I think the article was written by Bakker, this is about 30 years ago and in the article the size estimates were enormous; 60 feet plus.

Concavenator

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on August 09, 2023, 06:31:26 PMinteresting animal but I too am skeptical of the size estimates.

Turns out you were right, Perucetus is no longer such a colossus. Here's the paper downsizing it.

And an illustration by Cullen Townsend:

Carnoking

Nooooooooooooo  :'(  :'(  :'(

Such is the nature of science and discovery I suppose

Faelrin

I'm not at all surprised, this happens quite a lot in this field. New discovery, some ground breaking sizing happens, and then gets downsized in a new paper down the road. 

At least the memes were rather enjoyable whale they lasted.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

VD231991

My opinion on the true size of Perucetus given the limited material of the holotype specimen of P. colossus has been vindicated by this paper. Indeed, the pachyostotic nature of the back vertebrae of Perucetus is a key characterisic of pachycetine basilosaurids, and since Antaecetus is currently the only pachycetine known from complete remains, further excavation at the Perucetus type locality may uncover extra remains that could signal that Perucetus could still be a very large basilosaurid even if the weight estimate range for Perucetus is far less than initially believed.

Papi-Anon

So in just 6 months Perucetus lost 226 tons? Forget WW or Jenny Craig, we have the ultimate weight-loss plan here!

Jokes aside, I had a (pardon the pun) sinking feeling that those size estimates were way too extreme.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

Perotorum

I am sure we can all intoxicate our delusions with copium with the former Bruhatkayosaurus, right?

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.