News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2024 wishes and hopes

Started by Sim, August 28, 2023, 08:17:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I'm hoping Safari will produce a Torvosaurus tanneri!  PNSO's is great, but its head is outdated.  An accurate Torvosaurus tanneri based on the Elvis specimen would stand out!

Primeval12

I'm hoping for a Maip macrothorax! They're such a cool species and I'm surprised no one's made them yet!

Pachyrhinosaurus

I recently acquired a fin spine from a Gyracanthus and now that I've read up on the species, I think it would be a great choice for Safari's lineup.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Sim

Quote from: Primeval12 on May 10, 2024, 12:50:20 AMI'm hoping for a Maip macrothorax! They're such a cool species and I'm surprised no one's made them yet!
Kaiyodo has.

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on May 10, 2024, 12:04:00 AMI'm hoping Safari will produce a Torvosaurus tanneri!  PNSO's is great, but its head is outdated.  An accurate Torvosaurus tanneri based on the Elvis specimen would stand out!

I would like that too, and I think they will eventually make it. They haven't released any megalosaurid figure so far and Torvosaurus is one of the most famous and most well-known (as far as fossil material is concerned) members of the group. And it would be another addition to their Morrison Formation portfolio (Allosaurus, Ceratosaurus, Stegosaurus, Diplodocus, Camarasaurus, etc). Hopefully it will be made in 1:35 scale too.

Another one I would love to see is Gorgosaurus. I love Watson's recent work on tyrannosauroids. I clearly prefer Safari's versions of Daspletosaurus and Albertosaurus to PNSO's. So I bet a Gorgosaurus from Safari would be fantastic too.

Sim

I'm hopeful Safari will make Torvosaurus, it's been one of the most requested species from them in the polls we've done on this forum.  Safari is also fond of theropods, and Torvosaurus is a different kind of theropod from all the others they've made.  It seems to have more going for it than another allosauroid or tyrannosauroid.  And, it would go well with Safari's numerous Morrison Formation species, as you mentioned.

I would be interested in a Gorgosaurus from Safari too as PNSO's, which I have, is based on a juvenile specimen.  If they give it a spectacular colour scheme that should allow me to replace PNSO's, which does look great.

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim PNSO's Gorgosaurus doesn't represent a juvenile, but a subadult, as it is based on ROM 1247 and said specimen is classified as a subadult (Voris, 2018). It's true it doesn't represent a fully grown animal though.

If Safari made a new Gorgosaurus I am certain I would get it instead of PNSO's. Or if Creative Beast released a 1:35 version of the BotM Gorgosaurus I would also get it instead of PNSO's. I like PNSO's but I have a couple of issues with it. I also wish they'd depicted an adult animal. And since they based it on a not fully mature specimen, I wish they'd rather made it in 1:35 scale for said specimen, even if the animal was not very large. And lastly there's the lack of lips.

Sim

On The Theropod Database that Gorgosaurus specimen is said to be a juvenile: https://theropoddatabase.com/Tyrannosauroidea.html#Gorgosauruslibratus  I think there was some discussion about what growth stage that Gorgosaurus is at and different places said different things.  We can agree it is not fully grown. :)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 10, 2024, 12:58:18 AMI recently acquired a fin spine from a Gyracanthus and now that I've read up on the species, I think it would be a great choice for Safari's lineup.

I'd love to see that, but I think it has a roughly 0% chance of happening. Their last fish was a decade ago, and it was just a megalodon.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 11, 2024, 05:45:49 PM
Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 10, 2024, 12:58:18 AMI recently acquired a fin spine from a Gyracanthus and now that I've read up on the species, I think it would be a great choice for Safari's lineup.

I'd love to see that, but I think it has a roughly 0% chance of happening. Their last fish was a decade ago, and it was just a megalodon.

And a boring and ugly megalodon at that

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 11, 2024, 05:45:49 PM

I suppose the odds of a Red Hill toob are even lower ;D But I know what you mean, though. Especially in recent years we've been getting almost exclusively dinosaurs, save for a much-appreciated therapsid.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Halichoeres

FWIW I would buy a Red Hill Toob. So that's two guaranteed sales!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Safari hasn't made any prehistoric animal toobs for a long time, but I've just thought of one that would most likely sell very well, and that I would love!  A raptor or dromaeosaurid toob!  Dromaeosaurids are one of the most popular types of prehistoric animals and are mostly small.  I think a toob of them would be very well-received!

I would suggest including in it:
1. Microraptor, as a shrunken version of the Wild Safari version.  There is a need for a good, small Microraptor figure and the WS version incorporates the modern understanding of Microraptor's colouration, wing shape, tail fan shape, plumage density and hindlimb posture.
2. Buitreraptor.  It would be so good to have a small figure of this interesting long-snouted dromaeosaurid that could be used with Giganotosaurus figures as these animals are from the same fossil site.
3. Halszkaraptor.  There is nothing like it available as a toy!
4. Zhenyuanlong.  This important and striking dromaeosaurid needs an accurate figure!
5. Deinonychus, as a shrunken version of the Wild Safari version.  The Wild Safari Deinonychus is one of Safari's bestsellers, imagine how cool it would be to have a small version of it!  As a toob figure Deinonychus would probably be in 1:35 scale.
6. Dromaeosaurus.  The first dromaeosaurid ever found!  It's also interesting in having a short snout that gave it a high bite force!
7. Velociraptor, as a shrunken version of the 2017 Wild Safari version.  The 2017 WS Velociraptor is of the highest excellence and it would be so good to have a smaller version of it!
8. Linheraptor.  It's known from an excellently preserved fossil and I would love to have a figure of it!
9. Adasaurus.  It would probably be 1:35 scale as a toob figure, and would go very well with the Nemegt Formation species we've been getting!
10. Saurornithoides.  It's not a dromaeosaurid, but closely related and much-needed.  It would go well with its contemporary Velociraptor.  It would be so great to have a good troodontid toy!
11. Zanabazar.  Another troodontid, that would go well with the coeval Adasaurus and other Nemegt Formation species we have.  It would also probably be in 1:35 scale as a toob figure.
12. Stenonychosaurus.  The famous North American troodontid!

Sim

My most wanted species from Safari is Torvosaurus tanneri, as I would like to replace my inaccurate PNSO one which I'm holding on to until I have a replacement.  I would also like a Sinosauropteryx to avoid having to repaint a figure of it to have accurate colouration.

Another of my most wanted is of course an accurate Rhamphorhynchus!  Also, Saurornithoides and Buitreraptor!  And Herrerasaurus and Plateosaurus!

I also hope Safari will make a raptor toob and pterosaur toob.  In a raptor toob I hope there would be a Microraptor that is a miniature version of the Wild Safari version as that figure gets the feather configuration right and also importantly the maximum degree of leg splaying.  Other small Microraptor figures spread the legs wide apart which is an outdated idea.  I very much would like an accurate small Microraptor figure!

With regards to ornithischians, Safari hasn't made many thyreophorans and I'd like more from them, specifically: Tuojiangosaurus, Edmontonia rugosidens and Denversaurus.  Finally, a Basilosaurus from Safari would be awesome!

Sim

I'm very curious about what Safari will release for 2024.  I wonder when we'll see a Safari 2024 figure?

SpartanSquat

Tbh I think safari method we saw these years teasing for future releases didnt work for me. They wanted to do in a way like pnso or haolongod. The thing is these 2 brands tease stuff but the release window is 10 days or 2 weeks after the annoucement. Here are months of wait...I waited more than 2 years to get some stuff like cryo or alberto. I think they should go back to old format and show what they got for the coming year at the end of the year like papo and collecta.

And things I wanna see in the future:
-Corythosaurus
-Lambeosaurus
-Chasmosaurus
-Torosaurus
-Leptoceratops
-Torvosaurus
-Tenontosaurus
-Inostrancevia rerelease
-Ouranosaurus
-Plateosaurus
-Deinotherium
-Moschops
-Panoplosaurus
-Edmontonia
-New Tyrannosaurus

Sim

Out of interest, I've thought about what Safari might release for 2024, taking into consideration what they've retired recently and how the prehistoric Wild Safari line looks without its retired figures.

Basal Theropoda: Possibly Herrerasaurus, it's a much-requested species.
Ceratosauria: Probably nothing as they produced Majungasaurus last year.
Megalosauroidea: Torvosaurus, it's much-requested and a type of carnivorous dinosaur, which Safari tends to favour, that hasn't been made by Safari before (a megalosaurid).  Nothing else from this group.
Allosauroidea: Nothing, this group is basically exhausted from all the attention it's gotten.
Tyrannosauroidea: Safari retiring their Qianzhousaurus shows that even this group isn't safe...  I think a Gorgosaurus, Appalachiosaurus or new Tyrannosaurus are all possible, but not likely.
Compsognathidae: Compsognathus or Sinosauropteryx maybe, although I'm not sure they would look different enough to Safari's Coelophysis to justify.
Ornithomimosauria: Gallimimus finally?
Alvarezsauroidea: I think Safari might now turn their attention to types of animals they haven't made a figure of yet, so I think an alvarezsaurid is a possibility.
Therizinosauria: Nothing.
Oviraptorosauria: Since Safari's Anzu and Citipati have been retired recently, I expect there won't be any other oviraptorosaurs from Safari in the foreseeable future. :(
Dromaeosauridae: The retirement of the Wild Safari Microraptor has made me concerned that even dromaeosaurids aren't safe.  I think Buitreraptor and Austroraptor still have a chance of being made, with how unique and unusual they look.
Troodontidae:  I don't think anything from this group is coming, sadly, now that Safari has retired their Microraptor.
Archaeopterygidae: I expect nothing else from this group will be made in the foreseeable future, now that the more popular Archaeopteryx and Microraptor have been retired.
Avialae: A terror bird.
Other Theropoda: Like an alvarezsaurid, I think a scansoriopterygid has a chance at being made now.

Basal Ornithischia: Like an alvarezsaurid and scansoriopterygid, I think a heterodontosaurid has a chance at being made now.
Thescelosauridae: I think these animals are not interesting enough to most to be made by Safari.
Ornithopoda: Ouranosaurus, Muttaburrasaurus, Zalmoxes, all look unique and have a shot at being made in my opinion.
Ceratopsia: I expect nothing from this group will be made by Safari for 2024, after all the members they've retired recently.
Pachycephalosauria: The only ones most people seem to care about are Pachycephalosaurus, Stygimoloch and Dracorex, all of which Safari has made figures of.  I don't expect another pachycephalosaurian to be made by them anytime soon.
Basal Thyreophora: I think Scelidosaurus has a chance, I certainly would be very happy to see it get made by Safari...
Stegosauria: The most recent Safari stegosaurians don't seem to have been very popular, so I'm not sure Safari would make another one now..  Maybe a new Miragaia which will have its name changed to Dacentrurus in accordance to the new data that synonymises them?
Ankylosauridae: I don't expect one from Safari for 2024.
Nodosauridae: I'm surprised Safari has only made one from this group!  Edmontonia seems like something they might make as it's interesting and looks different to all other figures Safari offers!  If not Edmontonia, then Denversaurus.

Basal Sauropodomorpha: Plateosaurus finally?
Basal Sauropoda: A mamenchisaurid maybe?
Diplodocoidea: Nothing
Macronaria: Nothing

Pterosaurs: An up-to-date Rhamphorhynchus maybe?
Marine reptiles: Nothing, sadly.
Other reptiles: Nothing.

Amphibians: Nothing.
Fish: Nothing.
Synapsids: Nothing.
Invertebrates: Maybe a sea scorpion at last?

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Sim on June 30, 2024, 08:15:03 PMI'm very curious about what Safari will release for 2024.  I wonder when we'll see a Safari 2024 figure?
In person, ready for purchase? 2026
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.