News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Anyone still buy Physical Media?

Started by Takama, June 23, 2024, 01:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Quote from: Gwangi on June 23, 2024, 10:55:22 PMI don't like that streaming services hoard their exclusive shows. Like Apple TV and Prehistoric Planet. Everything should be made available on physical media. If Apple TV decided to pull PP then that's it, it's gone. And it has happened before. Want to watch the Willow series on Disney+? Too bad, they removed it! So while I have advocated in the past for voting with your wallet and watching things the legal way there does come a point when the pirate's life looks tempting. I'm not going to pay a monthly fee for access to Prehistoric Planet. Not gonna happen. And if it weren't for pirating, shows like Willow would be erased from existence.

I've seen Cannable Holocaust avatar_Takama @Takama. I might even own it on DVD. I used to own it anyway. I might have gotten rid of it after watching it because it's not a movie I'll ever watch again.

What you said about streaming is exactly why I hate it in the first place.

In fact, all the stuff on my netflix list are all exclusives.

Oh and Godzilla -1 which does not have that Only on Netflix symbol on it.   So....American Physical realeas I Hope?

FlawedCoil82

I always want physical media. I have no interest in digital content. If given the opportunity I will ALWAYS choose DVDs, CDs and books. I hate how the masses (who value instant gratification and the illusion of convenience) have killed off much of the physical releases (especially CDs). I will not support the digital demon so long as the physical version also exists.

Bucklander

What about a 3rd option. Downloading onto hard drives. It's much more space efficient. Although I have a large library of books, many CDs and more than a few DVDs, I actually really like having stuff on hard drives. In fact I rip all my CDs, so I can create folders on MP3 players (I can skip tracks I don't like so much and put all my favourite tracks together). It still amazes me how much information can be stored in a small physical space. I have a 5TB HD and I can't imagine ever exhausting it's space - and I would have tens of thousand of pieces of music, documentaries, images and text files on it so far.

At the end of the day, there is too the question of resources. And not just those required for the end products, but those that go into their manufacture. Imagine if every person on the planet was able to own a library of books, CDs and DVDs as extensive and comprehensive as the ones we would all like to have. I don't believe the world could supply that need.

I fully appreciate the frustration with companies dropping products, but, if, having purchased an album, movie, book, image, documentary, whatever, we could then download it, I believe that, would be the best option. I suspect we are at a turning point in the way we collect information.

Recently, I bought several movies from YouTube, having been told that I would then be able to download them. Alas, I've not yet worked out how to do that. I'm beginning to fear I was misled. Even if I was, however, and it is not yet the way things work, I believe it's the way things are headed.

Roselaar

Quote from: Takama on June 23, 2024, 09:48:01 PMNot sure im ready to admit this but I subjected myself to "Cannibal Holocaust" thanks to Plex

Haha, I saw that too for the first time ever two months ago! Had it on Blu-Ray for a year before I finally dared watched it. Oh my, is it a terrifying viewing experience... so cruel and bizarre and grotesque! But in some parts, also quite beautiful, and it definitely has something to say (even though in getting that message across it makes the viewer complicit to exactly what it feels to address).

I could never find a gem/abomination like this on a streaming service available here without a VPN. So I'm glad they exist on disc, especially when they come packed with extra features putting the movies in their context (which I also watch avidly). My Blu-Ray copy of Cannibal Holocaust certainly delivers.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.