News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Anyone still buy Physical Media?

Started by Takama, June 23, 2024, 01:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

I do

Besides Drawing, and Collecting, I watch my movies on DVD and Blu-Ray

Its a hobby that was passed on by my dad after he died in 2009.

I do stream, but i do have choice words about it, and rather OWN my films on Disc then pay for a service that will never garentee to keep it up (even if its an exclusive). But I admit some platforms can be useful for like a free rental service

It may be a dieing breed, but im not backing down from the hobby unitl DVDS and Blu-rays are officially off the market (and even then I will still search for them second hand)

Anyways I may post photos later, but I was curious if any of you still collect Physical media as well? 🙂

Gwangi

I do! I use streaming services too but if I want to own a movie I buy it on DVD or Blu-Ray. I started buying DVDs when they were replacing VHS and I'm not about to stop now. I also prefer to buy books, even though I do have a Kindle I rarely use it. And just this past year I've started collecting viny records.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Libraraptor

Pachyrhinosaurus

Always. I don't subscribe to any streaming services. I was happy with it that way before, so I don't see any reason to change. It's also a conflict of interest with my hobby of going to drive-ins, seeing how streaming services are hurting smaller-scale theatres.

It's really disappointing to see the decline of physical media presence in stores.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

The absence of physical media in some stores is upsetting but I don't think physical media will ever go away. CDs were replaced by MP3 players a long time ago but are still available. Heck, vinyl records have made a comeback!

Pachyrhinosaurus

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi True. I wasn't around when vinyl was on its way out but I'm sure people at the time would have been surprised to know that we have thriving record stores selling them all these years later.

I think VHS will come back too for the nostalgia appeal, though maybe not to the same extent. A drive-in in my area has a VHS fest each year and sells them at their concession stand all season. It's geared toward horror but I think as millennials and gen Z get older we'll see  more of it.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Saarlooswolfhound

Same here, if I enjoy something then I buy it on cd, dvd/bluray, etc. Especially video games if there is an option to buy a hard copy. I do use audiobooks (and recently got some streaming platforms too) to sort of screen the books I want to buy and to listen to on my way to work. But nothing (for me anyway) beats a hard copy of items.

JimoAi

I do especially with Switch games. A big example is Nickelodeon All Star Brawl 2 which the physical released a month later and even longer for versions with an actual cartridge instead of a downloadable code

Brocc21

While I'm not averse to streaming services, I hate how increasingly digital and intangible our sense of ownership is becoming. I always try to get all of my favorite films on DVD. The Jurassic park Ultimate Trilogy set was like a sacred artifact to me as a kid, + a number of my favorite documentaries. I have some Kaiju collections, and I get all the Monsterverse films on release. My book collection mostly consists of paleontology, history, and politics. I've always done most of my gaming on PC so I never got disks, I just put my faith in Steam.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

ceratopsian

I buy books. (Apart from novels, which I read on Kindle.  Space issues and lighter to carry away from home.)  I buy music CDs. A lot of them. I never buy music as an electronic file.  Though I use free Spotify a little to help with rehearsal for works my choir is singing, and to identify CDs I should buy. I will listen to free downloads that come with CDs, maybe away from home or in my study.  But I always prefer to listen to music on my old-fashioned hi-fi system.  Much better sound reproduction.

Abobo

Takama

Quote from: Abobo on June 23, 2024, 09:43:05 AMCDs

Not going to lie

I wish i had that kind of shelving for my movies🤯

Takama

While im at it, i do have Video Games.  But i rarly play them anymore (with everything going online only now, no thanks) but my only working Bluray player at this time is my PS4.

I do have novels as well,

Though the just sit there for years waiting to be read.

Though if theres one book that keeps me comeing back to read again

Its a Victor Milans "The Dinosaur Lords"

(Basicly GoT with Dinosaurs instead of Dragons)

DinoToyForum

I've got a handful of CDs and DVDs but haven't bought a new one in years. Now I stream, often even if I have the CD. I did have a larger collection of DVDs but when I moved from Ireland back to the UK around 2010 I rationalised the collection and only kept the few I knew I'd watch repeatedly. All the others I gave away, and I really didn't miss them. I don't even have a DVD player any more so even the DVDs I did keep just sit on a shelf looking nice these days!

Primeval12

Takama

When it comes to music, I do have CDs though truth be told.   Im not sure they are in working condition anymore.

Nowadays i listion to my music on Youtube

Roselaar

I still avidly collect DVDs and Blu-Rays. More so than ever these days, since I can find many of them for cheap at second hand stores. I don't fully trust streaming services, there's too much deleting and shuffling around of content on there. Plus a whole lot of more niche content and classics simply not available anywhere. So I watch streaming for their exclusive stuff and buy everything else on disc.

Takama

Quote from: Roselaar on June 23, 2024, 08:07:41 PMI still avidly collect DVDs and Blu-Rays. More so than ever these days, since I can find many of them for cheap at second hand stores. I don't fully trust streaming services, there's too much deleting and shuffling around of content on there. Plus a whole lot of more niche content and classics simply not available anywhere. So I watch streaming for their exclusive stuff and buy everything else on disc.

Same

I use netflix and Apple TV for the stuff that they keep behind their "Paywalls"

WENDSDAY on Netflix

And (This is a no brainer)

Prehistoric Planet on Apple

But I use Tubi and Plex (and Rokus free listings) to watch movies I dont have, that are out their on Disc, just to see if its worthy of adding to the Collection or not.

Last film i saw.....

Not sure im ready to admit this but I subjected myself to "Cannibal Holocaust" thanks to Plex

Lets just say Im not afraid to seek the dark, weird, and or Obscure

And this film really tested me. And I was legit horrified for the first time in years while watching a movie,  those who seen it too, can blame it on one scene involving a very poorly treated turtle😨

Lets just say I made it through the whole thing. And did not pay a cent to watch it.

Gwangi

I don't like that streaming services hoard their exclusive shows. Like Apple TV and Prehistoric Planet. Everything should be made available on physical media. If Apple TV decided to pull PP then that's it, it's gone. And it has happened before. Want to watch the Willow series on Disney+? Too bad, they removed it! So while I have advocated in the past for voting with your wallet and watching things the legal way there does come a point when the pirate's life looks tempting. I'm not going to pay a monthly fee for access to Prehistoric Planet. Not gonna happen. And if it weren't for pirating, shows like Willow would be erased from existence.

I've seen Cannable Holocaust avatar_Takama @Takama. I might even own it on DVD. I used to own it anyway. I might have gotten rid of it after watching it because it's not a movie I'll ever watch again.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: